It has been 15 months since the iPhone 4 launch...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBreatheApple, Sep 28, 2011.

1. iBreatheApple, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

...do you really think that the update will be a mere "4S", especially given that this is Tim's first? I highly doubt it.

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I highly doubt it too.

3. theperipheral macrumors 6502

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

While it is indeed possible, I doubt it as well. It would be a bad move for Apple.

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I wouldn't consider the new A5 chip, 8mp camera, iOS5 a minor update but yes a new design and a bigger screen is needed. People want some more drastic changes this time. I thought about this and considered another phone but then i have a lot of apps invested plus i prefere IOS over Android. Although for instance the Samsung Galaxy SII has great specs the build quality, the ui and not having Itunes to sync movies, apps and games is a deal breaker for me.

Quite frankly i will be disappointed if there is no bigger screen but i'm still going to buy the next phone no matter what it is.

6. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Same here, just sold my i4 for $350 on CL.

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Again, why call it a "mere" update?

When has Apple done a "mere" update to their iPhone lineup?

Just because there isn't a redesign, doesn't mean it's "mere" :rolleyes:

8. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Correct, and I am the first fanboy to say anything that Apple comes out with is better than the rest. When we say "mere", we mean "mere" in the sense that it's not revolutionary.

9. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

I love apple products, but they have a great way of making minor updates/tweaks sound amazing!

Great marketing team i guess :cool:

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

We shall wait and see come October 4th

11. applefan289 macrumors 68000

As I said in another thread...:rolleyes:

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Tim's presence has nothing to do with what phone is launched. Whatever phone is being launched has been planned for much longer than his takeover was being planned. Product cycles on products such as this are probably around 2 years.

13. aztooh macrumors 6502a

What does it being "Tim's first" have anything to do with it? The new iPhone design and specs were probably decided upon well before Jobs stepped down. Perhaps there have been some minor things changed, but by and large, it was a finished product.

A 'mere update' would be stuffing new guts into the same small, crappy iPhone 4 shell. While nice to look at, it has terrible ergonomics and isn't durable. And most...okay, no way for me to prove that...but a LOT of people also desire a larger screen. Form factor and size of a device that you use exclusively in your hand(s) is just as important as the new specs.

14. Krandor macrumors 6502

Tim has basically been running the show for the past 9 months. He may have just gotten the actual title, but he has been running things for a while.

15. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

Whatever devices are launched next month have been in the works for much longer than that.

16. mstrze macrumors 68000

One of the problems with this update cycle, I believe, was the earthquake this spring in Japan. It set back some parts makers/suppliers and is the main reason for delaying this release into the fall instead of summer.

I have no indication there will be a 5 or 'just' a 4s. I will be happy either way, upgrading my 3G.:D

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yes, the natural disasters could have been a major role in it since a lot of the iPhone 4 parts did originate from japan.

18. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Well, they undoubtedly started working on the next iPhone before the iPhone 4 launched (or entered mass production). So I'd say they've had a good 20 months (or more) to think of a new iPhone. If in all that time they only release a 4S, then man am I (and many others) going to be mad.

19. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I don't care what it's called. I want a bigger disk, a bigger screen, and LTE. I've given up on LTE. But if we get none of the above, I ain't buying. My white iPhone 4 does fine at everything else.