It is official. Android 5.0 is Lollipop (features listed)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Link: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/15/its-officialandroid-l-is-android-5-0-lollipop/

Material Design
    A bold, colorful, and responsive UI design for consistent, intuitive experiences across all your devices

Responsive, natural motion, realistic lighting and shadows, and familiar visual elements make it easier to navigate your device
    Vivid new colors, typography, and edge-to-edge imagery help to focus your attention
    Notifications
    New ways to control when and how you receive messages - only get interrupted when you want to be

View and respond to messages directly from your lock screen. Includes the ability to hide sensitive content for these notifications
    For fewer disruptions, turn on Priority mode via your device’s volume button so only certain people and notifications get through. Or schedule recurring downtime like 10pm to 8am when only Priority notifications can get through
    With Lollipop, incoming phone calls won’t interrupt what you’re watching or playing. You can choose to answer the call or just keep doing what you’re doing
    Control the notifications triggered by your apps; hide sensitive content and prioritize or turn off the app’s notifications entirely
    More intelligent ranking of notifications based on who they’re from and the type of communication. See all your notifications in one place by tapping the top of the screen
    Battery
    Power for the long haul

A battery saver feature which extends device use by up to 90 mins
    Estimated time left to fully charge is displayed when your device is plugged in
    Estimated time left on your device before you need to charge again can now be found in battery settings
    Security
    Keep your stuff safe and sound

New devices come with encryption automatically turned on to help protect data on lost or stolen devices
    SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware
    Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car
    Device Sharing
    More flexible sharing with family and friends

Multiple users for phones. If you forget your phone, you still can call any of your friends (or access any of your messages, photos etc.) by simply logging into another Android phone running Lollipop. Also perfect for families who want to share a phone, but not their stuff
    Guest user for phones and tablets means you can lend your device and not your stuff
    Screen pinning: pin your screen so another user can access just that content without messing with your other stuff
    New Quick Settings
    Get to the most frequently used settings with just two swipes down from the top of the screen

New handy controls like flashlight, hotspot, screen rotation and cast screen controls
    Easier on/off toggles for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and location
    Manually adjust your brightness for certain conditions. Then, adaptive brightness will kick in based on ambient lighting
    Connectivity
    A better internet connection everywhere and more powerful Bluetooth low energy capabilities

Improved network handoffs resulting in limited interruption in connectivity. For example, continue your video chat or VoIP calls without interruption as you leave the house and switch from your home Wi-Fi back to cellular
    Improved network selection logic so that your device connects only if there is a verified internet connection on Wi-Fi
    Power-efficient scanning for nearby Bluetooth low energy (“BLE”) devices like wearables or beacons
    New BLE peripheral mode
    Runtime and Performance
    A faster, smoother and more powerful computing experience

ART, an entirely new Android runtime, improves application performance and responsiveness
    Up to 4x performance improvements
    Smoother UI for complex, visually rich applications
    Compacting backgrounded apps and services so you can do more at once
    Support for 64 bit devices, like the Nexus 9, brings desktop class CPUs to Android
    Support for 64-bit SoCs using ARM, x86, and MIPS-based cores
    Shipping 64-bit native apps like Chrome, Gmail, Calendar, Google Play Music, and more
    Pure Java language apps run as 64-bit apps automatically
    Media
    Bolder graphics and improved audio, video, and camera capabilities

Lower latency audio input ensuring that music and communication applications that have strict delay requirements provide an amazing realtime experience
    Multi-channel audio stream mixing means professional audio applications can now mix up to eight channels including 5.1 and 7.1 channels
    USB Audio support means you can plug USB microphones, speakers, and a myriad of other USB audio devices like amplifiers and mixers into your Android device
    OpenGL ES 3.1 and Android extension pack brings Android to the forefront of mobile graphics putting it on par with desktop and console class performance
    A range of new professional photography features for Android Lollipop that let you
    Capture full resolution frames around 30 fps
    Support raw formats like YUV and Bayer RAW
    Control capture settings for the sensor, lens, and flash per individual frame
    Capture metadata like noise models and optical information
    State of the art video technology with support for HEVC main profile to allow for UHD 4K 10-bit video playback, tunneled hardware video decoding to save power and improved HLS support for streaming
    OK Google
    Easy access to information and performing tasks

Even if your screen is off, you can say "OK Google" on devices with digital signal processing support such as Nexus 6 and Nexus 9
    Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more
    Android TV
    Support for living room devices

User interface adapted for the living room
    Less browsing, more watching with personalized recommendations for content like movies and TV shows
    Voice search for Google Play, YouTube and supported apps so you can just say what you want to see
    Console-style Android gaming on your TV with a gamepad
    Cast your favorite entertainment apps to your big screen with Google Cast support for Android TV devices
    Accessibility
    Enhanced low vision and color blind capabilities

Boost text contrast or invert colors to improve legibility
    Adjust display to improve color differentiation
    Now in 68+ languages

Device set up
    Get up and running in no-time

Tap & go: instant set up of your new Android phone or tablet by simply tapping it to your old one (requires NFC)
    Whenever you get a new Android phone or tablet, you can bring over your apps from Google Play automatically from any of your old Android devices
    And a whole lot more
    Tap & pay: easily manage multiple payment apps by quickly switching between them
    Print preview and page range support
    Revamped display for battery, Bluetooth, data usage, and Wi-Fi settings and new search functionality
    New device level feedback for Nexus devices in Settings > about phone > send feedback
    Easier sharing with
    Improved ranking of your options within the share menu
    Android Beam: lets you share a file with someone nearby by gently tapping the two devices together
    Where supported by the hardware, your device will wake up as soon as you pick it up or tap the screen twice
    Improved hardware keyboard accessory support including support for multilingual, emoji input, search key, and improved app and system key chords

2. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I love this.

Would this mean that we'll finally be seeing proper multichannel music recording and processing apps on Android??

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

4. sotorious macrumors 6502a

everytime i am getting ready to buy a new phone i get stopped in my tacks. Now i am considering holding off note 4, for the nexus 6.

5. klowNeM macrumors newbie

Happy to see usb audio so I can use my dac/amp with my nexus.

6. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Was just going to post the same. My X (new moto X that is) is waiting for me back in London. Would love to see Moto push out Android L to it asap. Like what Google has done here and where it's going. Lot of thought went into it.

7. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Double tap to wake coming in Lollipop!! I'm not dreaming right? It says it there!

Oh please please let it come to all devices that update to L like my SGS5!

8. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

9. Farplaner macrumors 6502

10. mclld macrumors 68000

Not for me until I can remove/add home screens, edit the dock among other things I can do with Nova Launcher

11. mrex, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

im very interested in seeing android 5 on nexus 5. i bought nexus 5 as a present to my bf when the phone came and i suppose it has been a great phone. however, a battery life could be better and if this helps to improve battery, it is a welcome feature =)

i wonder if there will be an issue with art... how many apps will crash? im able to use art instead of dalvik, but i have read that some apps may crash... so im not using art, but im tempted to try =D try or not? that is a tough question...

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

My G3 sits idle since I got the new X.

Enjoy.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

Was there any mention if the Nexus 4 will get L?

15. Mildredop macrumors 68020

How do you feel about the Nexus 6? Looks like a better Moto X.

16. kevinof macrumors 6502a

They look the same (basically) so it's all down to size. I didn't want a large phone and looked at the LG, Note 4 and thought about the N6. In the end the Moto X suited me best.

If you want a larger Moto X then the N6 is the phone for you.

17. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

probably not getting, it is already 2 years old...

18. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

19. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

At least my Moto X 2013 will be updated to it :)

21. Razeus macrumors 601

I hate to say this, but Android 5 looks better designed than Apple's.

22. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Yeah, I'm very disappointed in Apple's Android. ;)

23. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

The Lollipop name is anti-climactic; that's been the long-expected name. Would have been better if Google had chosen something cooler...like Lemon (that it is). lol

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Was thinking exactly the same.

25. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Lemon-Lime Liquorice? Mmmm

I guess they didn't want to have to deal with a mass fallout like "Man, that new Android L is a lemon"