Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
under 'a whole lot more'

Where supported by the hardware, your device will wake up as soon as you pick it up or tap the screen twice

Can't wait for the update!

I'm surprised by the 'lift to wake' part. Double Tap to Wake has been expected though and I'm glad it is coming to Nexus, GPe and Motorola devices quickly.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
sounds like some game changing things for the platform. nice!

downside is I bet the AT&T Note 3 won't see this until March 15. let's hope for sooner.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
under 'a whole lot more'

Where supported by the hardware, your device will wake up as soon as you pick it up or tap the screen twice

The question would be... what do they mean by "where supported by hardware"?

I would guess all of these years flagships have the hardware to support it, although they all have it already except the SGS5.

Man I hope it gets implemented in the SGS5, but I fear Samsung might leave this feature out somehow.

So I guess the Nexus 6 already comes with double tap to wake.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
under 'a whole lot more'

Thanks, missed that somehow.

Hope it shows up on the Nexus 5.

At this point, I'm more excited about Android Lollipop than I am the Note 4 or Nexus 6.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
I gotta laugh at Nexus 6 ad. Honestly... iPhone 6 and 6+ are the winners of this round. Google were too confident about themselves before the iPhone 6 era.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
A LOT of stuff already on ios. 10 bucks says there won't be ANY posts about the fact anywhere. Wonder when my Nexus 5 will get it? 2 maybe 4 weeks after the fact? We shall see. Kinda curious about the material design.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
A LOT of stuff already on ios. 10 bucks says there won't be ANY posts about the fact anywhere. Wonder when my Nexus 5 will get it? 2 maybe 4 weeks after the fact? We shall see. Kinda curious about the material design.
You made a post about it, I will take that 10 dollars!

----------

Replacing the launcher does not make stock android not stock android.

What I am saying I won't run pure android without a launcher until I can do those things

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have the developer preview loaded on my Nexus 7. Can't wait to see the changes they make to the new one on the 17.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
You made a post about it, I will take that 10 dollars!

----------

What I am saying I won't run pure android without a launcher until I can do those things
Haha no i meant a news article or even those cutesy pictures showing what Android or Samsung had or some bs like that.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Yep, some stuff is being taken from iOS, but the majority of it is being taken from Motorola, LG and XDA developer code.

Main thing I like seeing from iOS is lock screen notifications (although it was easy enough to download an app to do it on Android, but now it is built-in).

Anyway, you can get Lollipop on Friday within about a minute of Google releasing it. Anyone with a Nexus 4, 5, 7 or 10 will be able to download and install it. What makes you think you have to wait 2-4 weeks to put it on your Nexus 5?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The thing that's most intriguing to me is this

A feature many might have been clamoring for is also available, labeled as Tap & Go. If you purchase a new Android device, all you need to do is tap your old and new phones together, which will instantly set up your new device. This is done through NFC. Included in the set up is your Google account, Android apps from Google Play, and certain system settings.

I know SOME of that is handled through your initial sign-in to the device anyway, but not having to even do that is pretty cool. Not that I change phones all that often, though I'm VERY tempted to snag a Verizon Nexus 6.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yep, some stuff is being taken from iOS, but the majority of it is being taken from Motorola, LG and XDA developer code.

Main thing I like seeing from iOS is lock screen notifications (although it was easy enough to download an app to do it on Android, but now it is built-in).

Anyway, you can get Lollipop on Friday within about a minute of Google releasing it. Anyone with a Nexus 4, 5, 7 or 10 will be able to download and install it. What makes you think you have to wait 2-4 weeks to put it on your Nexus 5?

IIRC, didn't it take a couple weeks for KitKat to rollout to older Nexus devices last year after formal release/announcement? Maybe that's what he was referring to.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012

Took 4 weeks for my Nexus 7 to get 4.4 and about 2 weeks for my nexus 5 to get 4.4.1 or .2 can't remember.

Anywho, not gonna make a list but there are more features from iOS. One I remember off the top of my head is invert color.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Took 4 weeks for my Nexus 7 to get 4.4 and about 2 weeks for my nexus 5 to get 4.4.1 or .2 can't remember.

Anywho, not gonna make a list but there are more features from iOS. One I remember off the top of my head is invert color.

Good I want android to copy certain iOS features. Sounds good to me. Consumer wins when features aren't locked to certain os

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

If you want to wait for Google to roll out the OTA then that is your problem. Anyone can download Android 5 Lollipop the second the factory image hits the Google webpage.

There is a reason the Nexus devices have been for 'developers'.

And the one main thing you want to call out for Android copying from iOS is 'invert colors'? Seriously? Lock screen notifications is valid and def a good feature to copy. Invert colors is about as important as additional fonts.

----------

IIRC, didn't it take a couple weeks for KitKat to rollout to older Nexus devices last year after formal release/announcement? Maybe that's what he was referring to.

I recall Nexus S getting hit with a delay because of the lack of driver support from TI. Don't recall if any other Nexus devices had to wait for their factory images from Google? May hav happened, I'm just not aware of it.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Good I want android to copy certain iOS features. Sounds good to me. Consumer wins when features aren't locked to certain os

Most def. gets both companies on edge. But goddam the hypocrisy...

----------

If you want to wait for Google to roll out the OTA then that is your problem. Anyone can download Android 5 Lollipop the second the factory image hits the Google webpage.

There is a reason the Nexus devices have been for 'developers'.

And the one main thing you want to call out for Android copying from iOS is 'invert colors'? Seriously? Lock screen notifications is valid and def a good feature to copy. Invert colors is about as important as additional fonts.

----------

I recall Nexus S getting hit with a delay because of the lack of driver support from TI. Don't recall if any other Nexus devices had to wait for their factory images from Google? May hav happened, I'm just not aware of it.

Nexus or meant for developers BUT they sell to consumers.. I don't think so. They should get there stuff In order, I mean it's been years since Android was released. It's not a baby OS anymore. Needs to step up. Can't have roll outs for an OS upgrade.

Not the only thing.. Redesign, check. Physics in OS, check. New color palette that emphasis color, check. Shortcuts in a control center esque style, check (though it's been on non android phones so, meh). Battery improvements, check (fricken FINALLY). Network handoff, check. Etc, Etc. Again don't wanna make a list... Too late >_>

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008

They're only releasing the Android L SDK this Friday, not the factory images (they are releasing another preview image though)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
They settings UI is the best I've used on any mobile device. Simple and very organized layout. It also looks good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.