"It just works"... Eh, not quite

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Avon4447, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Avon4447 macrumors newbie

"It just works." We've heard that before. Apple is know for promoting the idea that their products "just work." Then please explain, Apple, why perhaps the biggest selling point of your newest smart phone, Siri, doesn't follow that Apple Motto.

When I saw Apple introduce Siri during the unveiling of the 4S I was pretty excited. Siri captivated my imagination with its possibilities. It was like something out of the future, but here today. However, ever since I got my iPhone 4S, my frustration with Siri has been growing.

I think my biggest (and really only major) complaint is this ongoing issue with Siri not being able to connect to Apple's servers. Since I got my phone on the first day it was available, Siri has had trouble connecting to the servers. Some days she works great, and other days it's like "why bother?...the network is down again." When I try to show off my hot new piece of technology and it gives me a network error message during the demo, frankly it is embarrassing...

I hear users saying they are not experiencing any issues, but a lot of users seem to be having the same problem. Siri is unable to connect to the network. I understand the feature is new and people are overloading the servers, but is this something Apple could not have foreseen? Also, is the problem just going to go away once the hype goes away like others suggest? Well, with over 4 million iPhone 4S's out there, I can't see everyone just stop using Siri. Am I wrong?

I understand that this feature is new and in Beta form, but why then did Apple decide to release this? Was it just an attempt to sell us a new phone otherwise lacking in new features? Maybe I'm just blowing things out of proportion... Then again, when Apple stands behind the idea that their products "Just Work", then why do I have to put up with Siri being unable to connect to the network? I spent a lot of money on this phone; I expect it to just work.

I truly hope this issue is resolved soon...

2. jav6454, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'd like to interject your attention towards the huge ORANGE box with white letters....

Attached Files:

3. dmusicman385, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011

dmusicman385 macrumors regular

I have this issue once in a while but tonite its pretty bad. I think being how new it is so many people are using it at once its causing the servers to bog. in a few weeks should be fine

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

If the 21 - 34 year old male demographic would quit asking Siri what she is wearing or to " close the pod bay doors " things would improve :)

Seriously its beta, patience

5. Avon4447 thread starter macrumors newbie

I 100% understand it it Beta, but I guess my question is, why was it released as perhaps the biggest selling point of the phone? Should more refinement and preparation gone into Siri for a later phone, or was this just a ploy by Apple to sell us an Iphone 4 reboot?

6. DroidRules, Oct 22, 2011

DroidRules macrumors 65816

It is in BETA so either turn it off and don't use it or accept the fact that it is beta software and use it as is.

This is so full of fail but I'll try and explain it to you.
    It wasn't the "biggest selling point" of 4s. It was def a talked about feature but to say it was the biggest selling point is silly. Releasing siri was perfect for this phone/time. It works awesome for some (I've never really had any issues with it except for my own fast speech and occasional non server connection) and I am glad to have it on the 4s. Your last statement it out in space somewhere..... saying the 4s is a reboot of the 4 shows that you really have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the iPhone. You should go to apple.com and compare the 4 and 4s side by side, that will give you the knowledge you need to not say silly things like you did.

7. dotme macrumors 6502a

Apple's only TV commercial so far in the US is 100% Siri - 30 seconds devoted to that one feature so clearly they think it's a major selling point. And it's not reliable. Beta might indicate some rough edges. These are not rough edges, they are outages. Whatever the reason, it does make it seem that the marketing is a little ahead of the capability.

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

They felt the software was ready to be released to the public. Could they have taken more time on it? Yes. Did they have that time? No. That massive server facility they were constructing back in late spring was not just for iCloud as it powers Siri. And they were still constructing it during WWDC-11 so they were really crunched for time.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Marketing, marketing, marketing....

Just what happened with the first iPhone. They sold the software a bit underdeveloped and Steve Jobs himself stated all that you need to make the software better is update it. Later we got iPhone OS 1.1.1 which gas us iTunes Music, iPhone OS 1.1.3 which gave us Web icons, triangulation and ability to edit the home screen and all the plethora of updates made during the iPhone OS 2 era that added serious functionality.

That was a main driving point Steve made during its introduction. That other companies can't do software updates as Apple will because the iPhone is a touchscreen with no physical buttons. Competitors on the time made their software relying on the available buttons. Hence with the iPhone any new change or upgrade to the OS will not affect performance.

10. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I don't think you build a massive data center in NC as a ploy right? Siri is a game changer perhaps the first real shot and " AI like " interfaces with computers that use natural speech.

Having said that even without it, it is a pretty nice refresh, with the speed A5 and the improved camera, through in iOS 5 to boot.

I think in a week i have got one network busy error.

11. drubie macrumors member

In Apple's TV commercial they say nothing about beta, they only demo Siri and say "the most amazing iPhone yet" (referring to Siri). It should work.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Just to recap, Siri problems are your only major complaint. So, for the most part, the phone does in fact "just work". But when you try to "show off" your "hot new piece of tech", you're embarrassed.

A. If the only reason you spent "a lot of money" on the phone is Siri, and you don't like the way Siri is performing in beta, either learn some patience, or take the phone back.

B. Maybe if everyone stopped trying to "show off their hot piece of tech", Siri might actually work when needed.

C. Siri is not needed.

13. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

And it does. A beta is the final test for software generally containing all the features and functions that the final product is going to have. Just getting the final bugs out before they deem it worthy enough to lose the badge.

14. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

Any word when it will be out of beta?

15. DroidRules, Oct 22, 2011

DroidRules macrumors 65816

Well they managed to sell 4 million of them without that commercial including many to country's where siri doesn't work.... so no, I would say they aren't pushing it as a major selling point.

16. Avon4447 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't you think "the badge" should have been lost before it officially hit the street?

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

D. The majority of us aren't having any trouble whatsoever.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Oh I don't know about that. I connect relatively consistently, but my wife, sitting right next to me, gets network errors regularly. That's 50% of my household having issues.

Any stats to back up this majority you speak of?

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

When you can't connect to the server, that's 5 million people asking Siri an Easter Egg they saw here or elsewhere.

Honestly, I barely had the chance to use Siri on launch day because of this. However, it's gotten MUCH better. I think in the last week it couldn't connect maybe once or twice.

I am loving Siri so far otherwise. When I can't type something out easily (but can tap with a finger), having her do things for me is great. Have some patience in the meantime. Lots of people want to make use of a limited resource, and you're going to feel the hiccups of that every once in a while.

20. Captain America macrumors 6502

From what I've seen, most people don't even know what the word "beta" means. There'd be little point in them telling everyone, as they'd probably only get a lot of questions and lose a couple of customers who actually know what the word means and are turned off by it.

For a beta, it works quite well. I've rarely had connection problems since the 16th, and it usually does everything that I ask it to within reason.

21. C N Reilly macrumors regular

Frankly, "wanting to show off my hot new piece of technology" shouldn't be anywhere in your top 100 reasons to purchase a new product.

Especially when it's got the word "beta" slathered all over it.

As for "it just works," that's not an Apple phrase so much as it's a Steve Jobs phrase. So you should probably take that up with him. Oh, wait...

22. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I've got a business model on this for Apple...

1. Normal Siri request .... Free and included in normal data charges, all of which go to the carrier.

2. Doing a cute tech demo for your Uncle Morty.... $.50 each

3. Asking Siri a dumb question, like Do you love me?.... $2.00 each

4. Electronic Girlfriend .... $62.50 per month and she will actually text you and laugh at your jokes.

items 2-4 - 50% of the revenue goes to the Carrier.

23. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Folks, we all get that it's in Beta. (It's been repeated on here so many times over.)

I just hope Apple beefs up the Siri servers so we can get more consistent service...

24. lilo777 macrumors 603

Unfortunately Apple inexperience with anything internet/server related strikes again. Android's voice commander works in same exact manner as Siri (i.e. send voice recording to server get the interpretation back) and i have not heard about a single case where Google servers would be unavailable. Perhaps one should not be surprised considering the fact that Apple has to shut down their online store every time they add a new product to it.

25. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Don't really give 2 ***** about Siri working or not (its a beta... give it a break).

What I really care about is how the battery life is an absolute failure atm :mad:

A smartphone that only gets 1/2 the battery life as advertised (and is even worse than android phones) is no smartphone at all...