It looks like iPad 2 cases WILL fit the New iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TB07-NJ, Mar 12, 2012.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I just got the Marware Microshell Folio iPad 3 case: (http://www.marware.com/microshell-folio-case-for-the-new-ipad) It fits perfectly on my iPad 2 (all cutouts including camera line up perfectly).

I also will be returning it because it is identical to the $17 Khomo iPad 2 case I got (except for 2 little ridges on the bottom) as well as the $16 Monoprice.com case. Maybe for $25 or $30 I'd keep it but at $60 it's a rip.

I think the vast majority of case sellers will simply be selling iPad 2 cases and jacking up the prices.

One caveat: This case fits the iPad 2 perfectly, they CLAIM it is the iPad 3 specific case so since they are one of the "major brands" that Apple sells in their store I assume that to be correct.

2. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I'm sure some new iPad cases will fit the iPad 2 but something like my zum sc ultimate backcase for my iPad 2 probably has no way of fitting on a new iPad.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

From my Apple guy...The smart covers will work...The leather and all round shells will not fit. That's what he told me when I ordered.

I'm going with a new Stilgut, but they show nothing for the 3 yet...I have to have a rear protective cover of some sort, so am going to mod a truly horrible white silicone iPad 2 rear shell that I got for free and never used.

As long as the back is protected ( I have a 12 South alloy stand that WILL scratch the back) then I'm happy enough to wait for Griffin to release the rear clear back shell, and for Stilgut to start selling the leather case.

4. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

"Probably" is the key word. I'll bet it does.

That's what "your Apple guy" says but he knows as much (or as little) as anyone else until he gets a new one.

Like I said, BEFORE spending any money, if you like the case you have, try it first. Since all the cutouts of the Marware iPad 3 case line up and fit the iPad 2 perfectly that says everything is identical except for the few mm thickness. I think, with some exceptions of course, the vast majority of cases will fit fine.

5. pyzon macrumors regular

I think the vast majority of iPad resellers will take everyones money and give them an iPad 2 and tell them it's an iPad 3...

get on with it...foolish statement..and completely pointless.

6. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

Yeah I just got my Marware Microshell and it fits on my roommates iPad 2 just fine.

7. mikepro macrumors 6502

I would expect many ipad 3 (new iPad) cases to "fit" the iPad 2. (iPad 2 is only very slightly thinner). (Might be some slight play)

I would expect some ipad 2 cases might fight the new iPad. But, for those cases with very tight tolerances, like some of the molded back snaps, unless the material is a bit elastic in nature, it may not fit the new ipad, or if it does may be prone to popping off, have very tight corners, etc.

Won't really know until it is out, and can see what case differences there are. Give us an update on how your case fits the new iPad. Hopefully as well as it seems to fit your iPad 2.

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I think your perspectives, based on the limited evidence you have, is clouding your observations.

The chance of an iPad 3rd Gen case fitting an iPad 2 are VERY high. The reverse is not true.

Its quite easy for a case with larger dimensions to still accommodate a slightly smaller device, particularly when the height and width of the two devices are identical. Its the depth that's going to kill the fit of an iPad 2 case onto an iPad 3rd Gen's frame. Unless the material stretches (rigid plastics/polymers will not) it won't happen.

iPad 2 depth: 8.8mm
    iPad 3 depth: 9.4mm

And that doesn't even take contouring of case dimensions into account, which depending on how major/minor could also be a deal breaker.

Put it this way...how many iPad2 users went and bought back covers only to report on here that they wouldn't work with an existing skin from Zagg or whomever? And those were what....0.01MM thick? I had to remove my skin to get my Incase back cover to fit properly.

So I'd be cautious about proclaiming that a bigger case can fit a smaller device and therefore proclaiming the inverse to be true as well. It likely isn't even close to a fit going the other direction.

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Very true. invisible shield is said to be 0.02mm thick. The 0.03in difference from iPad 2 to new iPad is essentially just about as thick as 4 invisible shields (if my math is right). Although small in size, that's a huge difference for fitted cases.

Besides having the new iPad in hand, making your iPad 2 as thick as the new iPad is the only way to get a somewhat valid comparison.

10. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Belkin's site says there the same, I'll save some money.:)

11. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I say probably cause I have no way of proving or disproving at this point. However with a back case like the Zum I don't see how one made for an iPad 2 could fit the new iPad. Yes it's less than a MM in difference between the two but the way the Zum fits on the iPad I don't see it working.

Of course I'd love to be wrong about it and not need a new case.

I'm definatley waiting till I get my new iPad to test out my zagg Logitech keyboard. There website lists a "new" different one but the way the iPad rests in it as a stand I don't see why it won't work.

12. GeorgeN111 macrumors regular

Just a quick question, if the main question is surrounding the thickness of The New iPad. What does this mean for skins? I have been trying to find some relevant information but i have come to no avail. Does anyone have any evidence, in the form of an article etc, to suggest that a iPad 2 back skin such as the SGP Skin will not fit the iPad 3. I want to get at least a skin for release day, and taking in to account the fact that i live in England, this is proving difficult. I have to hope that the design on the back of the iPad is the same. Once i am assured i can order a skin.

13. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I think the same issue I brought up for cases applies to skins as well. While skins are more pliable, many have specially designed cuts and contours meant specifically for the iPad 2's frame. I doubt they will fit perfectly, although most should fit adequately.

14. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

I didn't say EVERY case, I said the "vast majority." Everyone doesn't use form fitting ultra tight snap-on form fitted back cases. There are a lot of leather cases out there where the iPad slides in like this TYPE: http://www.marware.com/ecovue-case-for-the-new-ipad or this type: http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-iPad-2-...?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item5ae599a998 (covers both extremes of the price spectrum). Those cases will fit without issue. I think there are more of those then the ones that WON'T fit and you can be sure they will be repackaging them and rasing the price and selling them as "iPad 3" cases. It's already happening on Amazon.

The original point I was trying to make was that all the cutouts are identical which was the first concern of whether they could even "possibly" fit (if the Marware case can be used as a guide).

Have NO DOUBT the sellers of the lower end cases will test it and if it fits jack up the prices and advertise it as "The New iPad" case.

15. GyroFX macrumors 6502

i wonder if the logitech zagg ipad 2 case will fit the new ipad? The only thing i can think of that might be fit as well would be the change of the tapered edge. Maybe? maybe not?

16. ipaduser28 macrumors newbie

iPad 3 Custom Leather Covers

For the most part yes book style covers that fit the iPad 2 will fit the new iPad 3. I got mine from Joe V. Leather and their cases are iPad 3 compatible. Unique looking stuff.

17. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Macworld reviewer said most of the cases he had FIT with the new iPad :D

I think I'm gonna go to Walmart and Target on Fri and try to scoop up a clearance griffin or incipio or whatever they have until the Lexington comes in.

18. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

I dont understand why everyone is making out that the new iPad is ridiculously thicker than the iPad 2... Its 0.6 mm thicker, do you lot actually understand how little that is? Its the tiniest of differences, No one will be able to tell the difference unless they pull out a tape measurer and compare the two.

19. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

You apparently missed the comment above about an iPad 2 with a clear skin attached to its back was too thick to fit in a particular back shell. The skin was only .02mm thick, yet, it made the iPad 2 too thick to fit in the shell.

The new iPad is .6mm thicker than the iPad 2. That's the same as sticking 30 layers of skin on the back of the iPad.

.6mm is DEFINITELY enough to prevent some, if not many, cases from fitting properly.

Mark

20. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

From ZAGG website FAQ:
    Q: How thick is a ZAGGskin?
    A: 0.3 mm thick.

More like 2 skins? Maybe you meant .2mm? I'm sure the others are similar.

21. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I've never owned or used a clear skin type of product. I got the .02 mm from this guy's message above:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14494408&postcount=9

So, if .3mm is the thickness of a clear skin, yes, only 2 of them would be needed to equal the difference in thickness between an iPad 2 and the new iPad.

But, as the fellow above stated, even with just ONE clear skin on the back of his iPad 2, a back shell wouldn't fit. So, there's no way in hell that same back shell will fit a new iPad.

Mark

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I just went cheap on Amazon and it turned out to be way better quality than I expected.

For a clear tpu shell with bag and screen protector I paid $7.

The shell is for iPad 2 but it's soft so I'm sure it'll fit. Bag is actually nice, for travel I'm sure I'll use. Screen protector will go unused.

In the end I'm sure I'll get a zaggfolio, but there will be times I just want to take the iPad by itself so this won't go wasted.

The difference in iPad 2 to new iPad is 0.7mm. When looking at fitted hard shell cases. For many, the equivalent of two shields is enough to make a difference.

23. Awjvail macrumors 6502

The hard shell on my Switcheasy Canvas seems like it is pretty tight... I don't think corners could handle the extra .6mm, may make it prone to pop off.

24. Tedddman macrumors member

Can anyone confirm, does the Incipio NGP for iPad 2 fit the new iPad?

25. batotman macrumors 6502

I can't confirm but believe the likelihood was high enough that I ordered one. Would like to know the answer for sure, though.