It looks like our Mars rover is G3 Powered

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GermanyChris, Aug 7, 2012.

1. GermanyChris, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

2. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

It's great to see a Mars Rover can use PowerPC applications controlled by MBPs that can't.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Running around Mars on a G3 PowerPC brain. Amazing.

Maybe those G4s sulking around in our back rooms needing only a cable or a display or a hinge are worth mucho mas than we thought. To a budget-starved NASA, anyway.

Now I wonder what chips are in Juno, the 2011 launch that's scheduled to start orbiting Jupiter in 2016? I loved that picture it sent back last year of earth with earth's moon hanging out nearby. So strange to see the earth and the moon in one photo.

By 2016 here on earth we'll be using chips Intel hasn't finished designing yet and maybe NASA will be launching stuff to Neptune on "old fashioned" Ivy Bridge gear.

What I want is something to go to Pluto and photograph the natives marching in the streets with their signs that undoubtedly say "Our home is too a planet, and don't ever tick us off again by suggesting otherwise."

4. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

No Kidding, it's kinda dumb is you ask me.

It is! Martian experiments with a G3 but we can't even watch you tube with one

I wonder actually if they'll stick to Power? Power is embedded everywhere and IBM still produces in America I think.

5. kdogsup macrumors newbie

It looked like most of the gear in the control room was Oracle (SUN) workstations running Solaris 10/11.

6. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

There seemed to be a lot of mac laptops..I'm sure the real computers sun and the like.

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Ok Google,if a ppc G3 is good enough to look for life on mars,would it kill you to make your chrome browser for us?

I have a old Toshiba 2400 laptop (p4 1.6GHz) that runs chrome,and compared to firefox ect it flys!

8. Scarrus macrumors regular

Bingo, just proves how unoptimised standard-Pc Software is. It's just some crap pasted together in order to work if you compare.

9. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Roger that!

10. DarioPhantom macrumors newbie

DarioPhantom

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I actually really want to try now! I have a headless (we don't have anymore CRTs in this house, they've all gone) Beige 3G Desktop sitting on its side doing nothing.

12. DarioPhantom macrumors newbie

DarioPhantom

That'll show those Intel users once and for all.

"Oh, so your Mac can run Diablo III on Ultra? Well ours can go IN SPACE."

i want to see that in an Apple commercial.

13. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

lol :D

14. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Nobodies Mac went to Mars, just IBM's G3 processor.

15. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

as if we live to see 2016 the world ends in December people :D

16. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Here's my theory:
    The Mayan guy was making the calendar, chiseling and chiseling. He spends long days from before sunup until after sundown. He is putting the finishing touches on what will become the gregorian year 2012. His wife walks in and states, "Look honey, it's either that calendar or me... make your choice!" Like any sensible married man he put down the hammer and chisel and the work was never completed.

17. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

actually the Mayans were all killed off lol

18. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Yeah but my theory is more colorful! I was the scourge of my word philosophies professor.

19. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I just think he got bored and stopped.

Or got arthritis.

Maybe he got hungry, ate some bad chicken, and died.

He could have gotten fired from the chisel/calendar factory (where they were testing calendar designs, think of him as the Jony Ive of the calendar place. Just making different designs until he finds one that he likes) and the company moved on to different projects.

The theories go on and on...

Still the most believable is the one where he was taken into custody for calendar fraud (for stopping at a December 21st when there was no need) where the judge said he was guilty and he served life in prison.

20. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

My dad wanted me to sell my g4s, saying that they were obsolete pieces of crap. I pulled up that lem article and he hasn't said a word about my small collection of g4s (2 towers and 1eMac) since.

21. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

That's true and why I think it's amusing that some people believe in them to tell us about the end. They clearly didn't have a clue. :) And I agree with the "colorful" theory, you have to stop somewhere. It's beyond me how some people actually thinks the world exists in a state where WE (all gods are fabrications of the human mind) control it.

I have a relative who moved to the states a couple of years back - and got involved with some pretty shady christian groups. She was totally convinced that the world was going to end by the year 2000. I remember that she wrote us letters about how she prepared with filling their pool with fresh water and buying canned food and stored it in the cellar. 2000 came and went and she didn't say a word for several years after that. Poor woman. :)

22. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

That's probably because she had her mouth full, trying to eat up all those stored foods before the "best before date" expired.

23. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

:D
    When I think about it she haven't sent any letters since - maybe she didn't make it before the food became rancid. I would worry if I wasn't going to bed with a good movie in the DVD player. (Good movie > possibly dead relative.)

24. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Sad but true.

As is this: Internet > possibly dead relative