It looks like our Mars rover is G3 Powered

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
That's true and why I think it's amusing that some people believe in them to tell us about the end. They clearly didn't have a clue. :) And I agree with the "colorful" theory, you have to stop somewhere. It's beyond me how some people actually thinks the world exists in a state where WE (all gods are fabrications of the human mind) control it.

I have a relative who moved to the states a couple of years back - and got involved with some pretty shady christian groups. She was totally convinced that the world was going to end by the year 2000. I remember that she wrote us letters about how she prepared with filling their pool with fresh water and buying canned food and stored it in the cellar. 2000 came and went and she didn't say a word for several years after that. Poor woman. :)
wanna no how its a fact the world isnt gonna end? look at a 2012 calendar its goes all the way to new years eve

----------

My dad wanted me to sell my g4s, saying that they were obsolete pieces of crap. I pulled up that lem article and he hasn't said a word about my small collection of g4s (2 towers and 1eMac) since.
out of ceriousity wats the specs of ur G4s?

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Sad but true.

As is this: Internet > possibly dead relative
Oh, but the internet is a tough contender! I can't think of anything to put in: Internet <

Boring answers like "life", "sex" and "family" do not apply of course. Maybe Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but... Let's not go down that road! It's late here anyway. ;)

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
so your telling me that if I take my low resolution digital camera and that old g3 tower I've got sitting in the garage plus my off road gas/electric rc car. Solder together something out of that strap a couple model rockets to the side of it and bingo! i'm playing bumper cars with nasas rovers on mars!

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
so your telling me that if I take my low resolution digital camera and that old g3 tower I've got sitting in the garage plus my off road gas/electric rc car. Solder together something out of that strap a couple model rockets to the side of it and bingo! i'm playing bumper cars with nasas rovers on mars!
Start something on kickstarter :p

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
u no on this topic if the rovers are computer-controlled from Mars what is NASA gonna do if one of these rovers' batteries die or they get lost in space or get blown to nothing but pieces of a iMac by a astroid or metorite?

----------

Start something on kickstarter :p
what happened to ur poor PM G5?

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Well I sold it on eBay and it was going to Philadelphia from Scranton (about a 4 hour drive). In transit the case legs were bent and the bottom dented, the hard drive dislodged, the ssd's sata connector cracked, and the "G5" processor cover was not attached.

My G4s died from old age and were parted out, and my iBook's power button connection (the part on the Logicboard) broke and I parted that out

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
Well I sold it on eBay and it was going to Philadelphia from Scranton (about a 4 hour drive). In transit the case legs were bent and the bottom dented, the hard drive dislodged, the ssd's sata connector cracked, and the "G5" processor cover was not attached.

My G4s died from old age and were parted out, and my iBook's power button connection (the part on the Logicboard) broke and I parted that out
isnt that y u have insurance and not to sound rude or anything but WTFs rong with u man yd u sell a G5!!

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
isnt that y u have insurance and not to sound rude or anything but WTFs rong with u man yd u sell a G5!!
1.) UPS insurance is terrible

2.) I did file a claim, and won't see a penny of the money.

3.) I sold it because I have a perfectly good MacBook and I didn't need the G5 as much as I thought I would

Oh, and the article says it has two processors, but why not just put two motherboards (or wait, its a G3, that should say logicboard) so you can have an extra fool proof system? The processor is just one point of failure, right?

Also the only thing rude there was your grammar ;) kidding of course. Type how every you want!

Last edited:

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
u no on this topic if the rovers are computer-controlled from Mars what is NASA gonna do if one of these rovers' batteries die or they get lost in space or get blown to nothing but pieces of a iMac by a astroid or metorite?

----------

what happened to ur poor PM G5?
They're fuelled by a nuclear battery so it won't run out(well not soon anyway).

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
@ Germany Chris: you should ad "(PowerMac G3)" in the title, so that it gets more attention.

On Topic: radiation stability aside, how much tech "power" do you actually need to let a vehicle drive, take photos and send them? Equipment for home media centers came to my mind that have small MHz CPUs in it. I might be simplifying to much, but...

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
wanna no how its a fact the world isnt gonna end? look at a 2012 calendar its goes all the way to new years eve

----------

out of ceriousity wats the specs of ur G4s?
Both towers are gig-e. One is the original dp450, and the other has a 1 ghz sonnet upgrade. The emac is an ati model with an 800 MHz processor. I haven't used the sonnet one in a while due to frequent KPs, I use both towers as legs for a table so I can use my emac, while o e of them has a display on a table behind the emac so I can use both. I will post a pic on e I can get to a "real" computer as I'm on a second generation iPod touch right now and I don't have Internet at home (checking email equals walking). All run 10.4 btw

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Cool. Knew that ARM and PowerPC chips were used in space going computers since the early mid 90's. Nice to see that their still in the pipeline. Here's another cool fact: The Hubble Space Telescope has a radiation hardened Intell 486 clocked at 75Mhz inside of it. This was not part of the original plans or satellite, but was installed during the first or second service mission to have Hubble process the images before they are sent to ground stations.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Cool. Knew that ARM and PowerPC chips were used in space going computers since the early mid 90's. Nice to see that their still in the pipeline. Here's another cool fact: The Hubble Space Telescope has a radiation hardened Intell 486 clocked at 75Mhz inside of it. This was not part of the original plans or satellite, but was installed during the first or second service mission to have Hubble process the images before they are sent to ground stations.
75MHz only? My calculator is faster than that :p

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
75MHz only? My calculator is faster than that :p
The Intell 486 maxed out at 100Mhz. Hubble's is 3/4 the max potential and the fastest radiation hardened 486 produced. The fastest pocket calculator is about 4Mhz. If the calculator's CPU and computational speeds could be scaled to 75Mhz, it would be able to do as much work as a 40Mhz Intell 486. Just like a 3Ghz Pentium 4 is computationally slower than a 2Ghz Core2Duo.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
The Intell 486 maxed out at 100Mhz. Hubble's is 3/4 the max potential and the fastest radiation hardened 486 produced. The fastest pocket calculator is about 4Mhz. If the calculator's CPU and computational speeds could be scaled to 75Mhz, it would be able to do as much work as a 40Mhz Intell 486. Just like a 3Ghz Pentium 4 is computationally slower than a 2Ghz Core2Duo.
Maybe my original PSP is faster than that?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Maybe my original PSP is faster than that?
The PSP is an ARM chip clocked at 333Mhz, but at its release it was clocked at 233Mhz. Sony upped its clock with a later firmware upgrade. I'm not sure about the scaling between faster ARM chips, like that in a PSP, and older x86 chips, like a 486. But I'd think that they'd be about the same with the PSP having a slight advantage in computational abilities.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
The PSP is an ARM chip clocked at 333Mhz, but at its release it was clocked at 233Mhz. Sony upped its clock with a later firmware upgrade. I'm not sure about the scaling between faster ARM chips, like that in a PSP, and older x86 chips, like a 486. But I'd think that they'd be about the same with the PSP having a slight advantage in computational abilities.
Props to you. I wouldn't know where to start with figuring all that stuff out! Maybe some day... :eek: