It was well worth it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AustinIphoner, Jul 28, 2008.

1. AustinIphoner macrumors member

Well, on saturday i decided i had waited enough for my DF from ATT.
    on saturday i went to Apple at 6am and wait for one. So i get up at 6am on the dot, get dressed at go to my apple store (5mins away on full throttle :D )

Get there about 6:10am, and there are 11 people infront of me. Woot. So i post up with my laptop and connect to the apple wifi and start wasting away the 2 hours until opening.

Soon, there were about 50 people behind me in line. then about 80. They start letting people in at 8, and giving us a voucher good for the iphone i want until 6pm. So i wait in line, and got my 8gb iphone!

I get in my car to put on my spare screen cover i had from my 1st gen iphone, and it doesnt fit! the screen on the 3G is a tad bigger.

I went to ATT and told the guy
    Me-"I need to cancel my DF order"
    Sales rep-"did you get your email it has arrived here?"
    Me-"no it hasnt shipped yet, i need to cancel before it ships, i cant afford another iphone, so im just gonna keep the one i have"

so they cancel it, and as i walked out, i whipped out the 3G and put it to my ear.

While i was there, at least 5 people came in asking about one. The sales rep told one guy

"everyone sold out, the quickest way to get one is to order one with us"

i wanted to walk up to him and tell him Apple gets big DAILY shipments and just go there. haha

2. weatherman316 macrumors member

So, is the Apple store now giving away vouchers? The reason being is that we'll be opening up a new account with AT&T and it won't be in my name so the account holder has to be there with me. Can I wake up, wait in line, get a voucher, and then come back with the account holder (before 6pm) without standing in line again and get the iPhone?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

ya, what they did is at 8am, they came out, and started checking peoples eligiblity. They asked for phone number, name and last 4 digits of the account holders SSN. My account is under my moms name, but i told them mine, so i dont think the name is a big need. Then they rip the bottom stub off and give you the top part with what phone (8gb 16gb white/black etc.)

and that voucher is good until 6pm. you can come back later with the person you need to. You can also be added as an authorized user, but i dont know how that would work with starting a new account

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Congrats on getting yours :) Took 3 times waiting on line to get ours (black 16GB and white 16GB on a family plan).

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

AT&T is worthless.

7. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

EXACTLY, i laughed when they told the guy who walked into ATT, that it was best to go through them, while i was cancelling my DF because Apple had them.

If it wasnt the only carrier for the iphone, i wouldnt have ATT

8. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Did you go Domain or Barton Creek? :)

9. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

Domain. you dont happen to be on NASIOC are you? I saw a nice silver STi on opening day parked in the lot by the apple store

10. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

I'm on there but haven't signed in in a while. My STI is black...needs to be washed too :) I was up at the domain saturday afternoon...saw the sign that said 'none in stock' and it gave me a chuckle. I'd like to get 2 for my lines but have no desire to wait in line...My wife said they had them this morning. Seems like supply is coming more rapidly this week :)

11. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

nice, ya, they had alot saturday, sold out apparently. haha

best chance is gonna be to get up early and go up there.

btw, you should check out TXIC, im new to Subarus, but we have a weekly happy hour at woodrows off parmer on tuesdays. u should come out!(that is unless you already know about it and have been already)

i have a 2005 Forester XT, dropped on WRX struts, STi springs and STi rear sway, with Stromung axle back. Working on the rest of the mods :D

12. chaoses macrumors member

chaoses

WOW! you did exactly what I did lol (even the number of people in line are fairly close).

13. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

see, isnt that better than waiting for the phone to arrive? im so impatient when it comes to gadgets, i like instant gratification. I guess thats why i never got into Film photography. Screw dark rooms

14. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

I might do that but I'm pretty busy these days so I can't guarentee. Sounds like you've done some serious work. Mine is stock except for the HU. Might flash the ECU some day...

15. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

its all good man, we are there pretty much every tuesday, so if you find yourself bored on a tuesday night come on down and have a beer or 2.

I know a guy that lives in the domain, drives a white STi with gold rims, he could flash your ECU for you. He was gonna reflash mine, but couldnt find a map for the XT.

Shoot me a PM if you need more info

16. naid macrumors regular

Hmm, I must have been pretty lucky then. Walked to the mall on a random day at like 4pm, saw a line of 6 people and lined up. A lady from the Apple store said 20 minutes but they were moving kinda slow, so I was in and out in an hour with a black 16GB. They had all colors and combinations in stock.

17. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

yeah i went on release to the at&t store with my dad around 6AM to find 18 people in front of us (suburb outside of detroit). So we knew there was no chance of us going backk in the car without 2 8GB iPhone 3G's in our hands. The only thing that sucked was right when we got to the from of the the line (the took 9 at a time, so 18 down, it was our turn), the servers crashed. So we had to wait an extra hour to get in and then another 45 min-1 hour to get out lol Was worth it though. LOVE my new iphone :D

18. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

also yea the first gen iphone was 115mm and the new one is 115.5mm

19. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

congrats!! love my iphone...waited 7 hrs for it on release day...crazy crazy crazy

20. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Damn that'd be awesome. I'll shoot you a PM.

Also how's your 3G coverage in Austin? 2 Co-workers of mine shut their 3G off cause they couldn't get more than 2 bars...

21. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

its sparce. I get horrible reception with 3G, but occasionally ill get more bars, i think i have a bad antenna, cause ive seen another 3G phone with full bars while mine is on 2.

Edge is like dial up compared to Wifi and 3G, even with 2 bars of 3G, its WAY faster than edge. I leave my 3G on 24-7, although its mostly on E cause the 3G signal is so weak.

i did find that on highways and more into the center of town, the reception gets better

22. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I am hoping that i have the same kind of luck.

Worried about how the 3g will be in my area too. Going to suck if i am on edge all the time. Oh well ill find out soon

Congrats!

23. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

on opening day at the Domain, the apple people came out with a 3G phone to show people in line. I looked at it, and saw the E. i asked the guy "i thought it was supposed to be 3G"

he said the apple store is actually on a 3G boundary and they dont get coverage there.

Really? Cause ATTs website says theres plenty around that area, and oh look at that. i have 3G, but with only 2 bars :mad:

me thinks they turned off 3G so people wouldnt be discouraged by the low signal it picks up

24. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Congrats you lucky son of a gun! I am still waiting on my iPhone and am jealous! :D:apple::apple::apple: