Italian Clothing Company Wins the Right to Use Steve Jobs' Name

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 28, 2017.

1. UL2RA Suspended

He was a person, not the previous owner of the current biggest company on planet earth. Names are used all the time. I see Benjamin Franklin's name on the side of coffee shops and garbage trucks. This is not even remotely the same thing. Both the name and the company logo were taken for personal gain. This isn't complicated to understand.

Correct, which is what makes the situation distasteful.

It's an Apple with a bite taken out of it combined with the letter J. Anyone with eyes can see the resemblance.

The level of maturity in this post is incredible.

Yes, this is true. Whether Apple deserves it or not isn't what's being discussed. The blatancy of what's going on is what's being discussed.

2. badbrain macrumors newbie

Seriously, people?

This is an excellent move. Props to them for doing something that Apple’s multiple teams of lawyers should’ve covered years ago. Knowing how the world works, you’d be very foolish not to take such precautionary measures.

Instead of using lawyers to find loopholes in government tax laws, they should’ve concentrated on their founder’s name. Shows where their thinking is. Money. Money. Money.

So, congrats guys, now go make some innovative clothes or tech or just sell up. I know what I would do. Money. Money. Money.

3. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

I think we can agree what inspired that logo. It’s similar but not the same. And the IPO thought as well. Is it right? I won’t debate that as this is just one notch in what corporations call doing business. Morally it sucks. They are capitalizing on a deceased mans name. And they know it.

4. jimi78 macrumors regular

jimi78

it blows my mind that these two really went there...such cheap quality too smh. so much for fine Italian design.

5. Mrjoedot macrumors regular

Come on bruh hahah

6. Lioness~ macrumors 6502a

Lioness~

Uhhhmm, there's some maffia there too. These morons will end up there.

7. QueSea macrumors newbie

QueSea

Copyright does not apply. You can't copyright your own or anyone else's name, period.

You can create a company, and name it after yourself, and do business under that name. Then, once you've done that, you can actually register the name as a Trademark. But Steve Jobs didn't do that. His name was never a brand. Once he died it was up for grabs. You can't Trademark a name unless you actually do business under that name, i.e., provide goods or services under that name.

And just because you are a named inventor on a Patent doesn't mean your name itself is Patented, Trademarked, or Copyrighted.

In other words, you have no understanding whatsoever of intellectual property law. None. Nada. Zip. Not one thing you wrote is even close to factual or correct.