iTether is Out!!!!! Best Alternative to MyWi

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dhy8386, Aug 7, 2010.

1. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Guys

I just happen to be browsing Cydia and saw Eric Day released iTether! In case you are unfamiliar with him, he is the creator of ibluever. iTether allows you to tether non-Bluetooth tethering capable devices (iPad!) to your phone. I just downloaded and installed on my ipad and it works flawlessly. Speeds a great. Super simple setup.

I didn't want to purchase MyWi because of all the problems people were having and the fact that it installed Rock. I was mainly looking to tether my laptop and my iPad. With the recently released tethering hack, i was able to tether my laptop to my iPhone but not the ipad. I was just about to pull other trigger and pay $20 to MyWi when i saw this. And it's only $5!

Best part is I don't have to do anything to my iPhone that might affect its battery life (MyWi) and tethering over Bluetooth is much more efficient.

Totally loving this app.

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Where do I get the patch to enable stock tethering on iPhone 4? I was excited to see a mywi alt. I bought 3.0 was gonna buy 4 but I don't like how it makes the iPhone hot. Can't be good for the battery.

3. dhy8386 thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=984943

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Wow that's an intense guide haha. No way for me to do that at work with just my iPad and iphone. I wonder if I install itether on the iPad and use Bluetooth tethering thru mywi on my phone if it would help the battery

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Well that was a waste of $5 when did mywi do away with Bluetooth tethering!? Gonna have to do that guide when I get sone time

6. illutionz macrumors 65816

That hack enabled the native tethering over USB and or Bluetooth which doesn't work with iPad unless you use iBlueever on iPad to enable Bluetooth DUN... or now iTether for faster speed (via Bluetooth PAN) than iBlueever

But the "overall" cost is cheaper... only $5 vs $20 MyWi... oh and you don't have to install ROCKcrAPP too ;)

7. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Does anybody have this working? I could use some instructions :)

I have native tethering enabled on my iPhone 4.... installed iTether on my iPad and when I try to turn it on it crashes with the message
    "Tether Daemon disconnected unexpectedly!"

TIA

8. vlug macrumors 6502

This isn't really an alternative to MyWi as it doesn't allow tethering via WiFi correct?

9. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

What problems are you referring to. MyWi works great and literally takes 2 seconds to enable.

10. dhy8386 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right doesn't do wifi but still an alternative for ipad. Point of mywi is to enable tethering to other devices. With tethering hack no need for mywi EXCEPT on devices that don't allow Bluetooth/USB tethering. Which because I wanted to tether iPad is why I was considering mywi until itether was released.

11. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

SOLVED! You have to turn off Bluetooth on the iPad and then start iTether..... works like a charm.

12. Bitgod macrumors regular

Bitgod

Yup, I usually had BT turned off anyway, itether will turn it back on, and when you quit itether, it turns the BT back off.

Great app, worked fine after I followed the instructions to enable tethering in http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=984943

This turned out to be great timing, cuz I was looking into tethering last night. The only reason I can see to use MyWi over this would be if you're using a wifi client that's not running iOS. Or maybe multiple clients, I'm not familiar with how well MyWi supports multiple connections.

13. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I have MyWi as well..... have been using it for about 8 month. It works well but is a little funky to start and stop.

Main reason to use this is that it uses a lot less battery power.

14. gatearray macrumors 65816

So has anyone here tried this?

I only JB'd my iP4 for MyWi to tether my WiFi only iPad, but this sounds like a much better alternative if the speeds are the same, as I don't have a need to tether any other WiFi devices aside from the iPad.

So, to bring my iPhone back to stock with tethering enabled through the "help.benm.at" hack, and then to JB my iPad instead seems like a great idea all around, but I was hoping for a testimonial first from some kind soul here before I proceed...

Thanks!

15. illutionz macrumors 65816

I don't think help.benm.at hack works for iOS4 at least for now. What you want to follow is the commcenter hack + modified carrier.plist

The explanation is here
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=984943

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

So if I'm reading this correctly, in order to make iTether work, I need to JB both the iPad AND the ip4? Or did I miss something?

MyWi begins to sound easier again, if I have to JB the phone anyway.

17. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

It's really no big deal..... took me less than 20 minutes and it's well worth the battery life savings.

18. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

Just got it working, was actually super easy to set up and I love how iTether is hella cleaner than MyWi (BLOAT). Both my iPad and iPhone 3GS were JBd so I had nothing to lose.

19. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Just to be sure, if I currently have an iPhone 4 that can tether natively, all I need to do is install iTether on an iPad for $5 and I'm good to go?

20. smacman macrumors 6502

Correct!

21. GunBlazerX macrumors member

Just purchased this, great app and I'm glad to finally be rid of mywi. I am eager to see how much battery life this will save.

FYI I use itether to get internet on my iPad from the data plan of my iPhone.

22. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

If I read this right, I have to jailbreak my iPad to install something just so I can use iTether?

If so screw that. I gladly jailbroke my iPhone but I don't really want or need to JB my iPad. I would rather deal with crappy battery life and MyWi than do that.

23. GunBlazerX macrumors member

How backwards, it's like you somehow think jailbreaking is negative for your device when the truth is it's the complete opposite. :eek:

24. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

How is that backwards? I'm not saying JB is wrong or bad, just for me and what I use my iPad for and with, I have absolutly no need at all to JB and just to multitask etc for me currently isn't enough to jailbreak (I can wait for 4.0 for native multitasking) Just jailbreaking it to tether is just a bit much and I wanted confirmation if this was the case. I was happy to see this as MyWi is a pain and I hate rock and don't want it installed on my iPhone.

Now don't get me wrong at all I have the iPhone 4 and I JB in a heartbeat there it was worth it for me there was too much I wanted to do to just simply ignore the JB

Remember everyone has their reasons to JB or not to JB their iDevices.

25. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I was under the impression that you JB the phone & iTether would send the data signal to the unjailbroken iPad. Am I wrong? I'm just trying to clarify what Goodeye is asking.