Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
does itether work with laptops if I don't wanna do the hack (i have no idea how to do it even looking at the instructions)

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
iTether only works with Bluetooth. If your laptop can operate from a BT signal, then go for it. But I haven't heard of any. iTether seems to mostly be for people that have both an iPhone & iPad.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
iTether only works with Bluetooth. If your laptop can operate from a BT signal, then go for it. But I haven't heard of any. iTether seems to mostly be for people that have both an iPhone & iPad.

You don't need iTether for your laptop. If you're using the native tethering you can do it to your laptop already.

The point of iTether is to install it on iPad to enable Bluetooth PAN on iPad so it can received the NATIVE iPhone tethering via Bluetooth

gil716

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks for the post OP. Setup the streaming last night and it works beautifully. I did have to modify my com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist to enable the internet tethering button, because it only presented me with the option to Setup or Call ATT.

Sp71Supra

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2007
What is the advantage to tether over bluetooth rather than wi-fi? Is it faster?

When I get my iPad, I plan on tethering using MyWi on my iP4. MyWi works great for me. Would I benefit from using bluetooth tethering when I get my iPad or is there no big difference?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
ok so I now have 3 options to tether my ipad to my iphone haha. I should do a test on all 3. I have mywi, itether, and handylight all working perfectly. I think im probably going to go with itether if it really does use the least amount of power. it already seems faster then mywi 4.0 @ 30% power.

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Yes, you're putting itether on the device, your ipad in this case, that you want to connect via the tether, so the ipad must be JBed.

The phone is optional, if you're paying for tethering, then the phone doesn't have to be JBed. If you're not paying, then JB it and follow the instructions in one of the other threads here to enable tethering.

So yes, most likely, people will need to JB them both. I don't see the issue, if you went through the trouble of jailbreakme.com for the phone, it's not much more work to JB the ipad.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I've been tethering for almost 3 hours and my phone is only down to 85%. This is much better on phone battery then mywi.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
What is the advantage to tether over bluetooth rather than wi-fi? Is it faster?

When I get my iPad, I plan on tethering using MyWi on my iP4. MyWi works great for me. Would I benefit from using bluetooth tethering when I get my iPad or is there no big difference?

Bluetooth tethering is much more "battery friendly" compared to Wifi. As far as speed concerned, the iTether supports Bluetooth PAN profile which is running at 3Mbps... I have yet to see my 3G connection passing this 3Mbps park (most of the time hovering around 2Mbps) so it's not a problem at all

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Is anyone elses iPhone crashing? My springboard has crashed a few times when I'm surfing on the iPad. However I left the tethering on all night and the springboard didn't crash at all so it seems only when it's actually surfing

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
PdaNET > iTether > MyWi

Bluetooth tethering is much more "battery friendly" compared to Wifi. As far as speed concerned, the iTether supports Bluetooth PAN profile which is running at 3Mbps... I have yet to see my 3G connection passing this 3Mbps park (most of the time hovering around 2Mbps) so it's not a problem at all

Well, PdaNET is much much much more "battery friendly" than MyWi and iTether because it supports USB cable tethering.

Why would you use bluetooth or WiFi tetherting if you have your USB sync charge cable?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well, PdaNET is much much much more "battery friendly" than MyWi and iTether because it supports USB cable tethering.

Why would you use bluetooth or WiFi tetherting if you have your USB sync charge cable?

Well to play the devil's avocate here... You can use USB tether with MyWi too...so i don't see your point.

also, If you have an iPad you cannot use the USB tether, so the magic of iTether is that it can use Bluetooth (instead of wifi) and save battery in both devices.

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Thanks everyone. This is working great for me first shot off the front page instructions. Iphone4 to Ipad with iTether.

Very good stuff

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
I just picked up an iPad today, and I've yet to get the iPad to tether while the iPhone was plugged in or disconnected to my MacBook Pro. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind. I reset the settings on my iPhone and now I'm tethering to my laptop with USB and to my iPad with bluetooth. Awesome. This thing was totally worth $5.

GunBlazerX

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Is anyone elses iPhone crashing? My springboard has crashed a few times when I'm surfing on the iPad. However I left the tethering on all night and the springboard didn't crash at all so it seems only when it's actually surfing

Actually, my phone went into a half-off half-on state (phone screen wouldnt come back on yet I could still surf on my other device unless i reboot the phone)

I don't know why but it happened the first time I used itether, I hope it doesn't happen again.

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
You don't need iTether for your laptop. If you're using the native tethering you can do it to your laptop already.

The point of iTether is to install it on iPad to enable Bluetooth PAN on iPad so it can received the NATIVE iPhone tethering via Bluetooth

Scratch that. I worded a post incorrectly.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
itether - what it is for...

Ok, you can use tetherMe (which is $1.99) and it will hack your iPhone to illegally turn on USB and Bluetooth tethering to your macbook.

Unlike MyWi and PdaNet it will NOT create a Wifi access point so all of your friends could jump on it.

You only need iTether if you want to tether your iPad to the iPhone via bluetooth.

iTether is only for iPad's..... not for laptops.

No where did I see this important fact so I posted it here.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008

You should have also pointed out iTether is not for Windows servers, Windows desktops, Unix servers, Unix desktops, Unix laptops, mainframes, Android phones or Windows SmartPhones.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok, you can use tetherMe (which is $1.99) and it will hack your iPhone to illegally turn on USB and Bluetooth tethering to your macbook.

Unlike MyWi and PdaNet it will NOT create a Wifi access point so all of your friends could jump on it.

You only need iTether if you want to tether your iPad to the iPhone via bluetooth.

You got the General idea, but you are missing a small point, you can tether your iPad to a laptop to share its ethernet or maybe its WAN (USB 3G card, etc) connection. It is not only to tether the iPad to your iphone. It can also be use to do the same from your iPhone to a laptop (of course it make sense to use TetherMe on the phone, but that doesn't take away that it will also work that way, if you already are paying for a broadband card and don't want to break your agreement with AT&T)

iLoyal

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010

How exactly are you going to do that? I always wanted that on my ip4, but due to the fact that MyWii burns too much power and I didn't want to waste the money. So, mind explaining a little about iTether with a laptop instead of ipad/macbook? Thanks!

PS: sick and tired of trying to steal wifi from places and ended up failing. Tried asking T-Mobile but can't since the ip4 4.1(02.10.04) are not available for unlocking... YET.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
How exactly are you going to do that? I always wanted that on my ip4, but due to the fact that MyWii burns too much power and I didn't want to waste the money. So, mind explaining a little about iTether with a laptop instead of ipad/macbook? Thanks!

PS: sick and tired of trying to steal wifi from places and ended up failing. Tried asking T-Mobile but can't since the ip4 4.1(02.10.04) are not available for unlocking... YET.

It's not iTether and a laptop, it's TetherMe on the iPhone4 which you use via USB or bluetooth to connect to a laptop. BTW, with MyWi4 you can reduce the power it uses down to 30%.

THE dAY

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
SFV California

My experience with MyWi is that it does not waste through battery.

Like MikePA mentioned, lower the power to 30%.

Also after you turn on MyWi and it is initialized then put your phone to sleep, MyWi will still work and with the screen off it will last a long time.

In my experience on my iPhone 4, it lasted me hours with plenty of battery left to spare when I was finished.

It is definitely an amazing app worth the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.