iTouch has been washed

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aryansaf, Mar 7, 2008.

1. aryansaf macrumors newbie

hey all, my mom accidently washed my ipod touc that i recently got for christmas the other day. i left it to dry for a few days, and it seemed decently dry. i plugged it in for like 20 hours and nothing happened. i had given up. i came home from school today and giving it one last try. it turned on and work :):):):). but the battery was very low, and when i got home, i plugged it in again. now, it doesn't turn on it just has a sign of a battery that has very little power, with a thunder bolt on the bottom... and my computer doesn't detect it... ANYONE? plzzzzzzzzz i would really appreciate any help

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

you will be lucky to get that working again, probably messed the battery big time if it was full when it was washed

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

It's more than likely toast. It probably didn't make it further than the rinse cycle. :) I'd just take it as a lesson to be more careful where you leave it.

4. aryansaf thread starter macrumors newbie

do you think that if i called apple and said, i know i washed it i'll pay if you guys change the battery. do you think that will help

5. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

im not sure apple cover for what damage any more... not to sure on this

6. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Even if they do repair it for a fee, it would probably cost just as much as getting a new unit. I suspect the battery isn't the only component that's damaged.

7. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

not much else you can do really apart from maybe get a new one

8. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

and everyone said you can't brick an ipod touch.

thanks for proving them wrong.

9. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

Your mistake was probably turning it on too soon (but how would you have known?).

It's best to bury it in some kind of dessicant (or rice) in a sealed container for a day or so, but never turn on an electronic device before letting it dry thoroughly. (Good call by the way on letting it dry for awhile.)

Maybe let it run down and try charging again?

Last resort: Apple's Out-of-Warranty replacement program for the battery. Here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/

They shouldn't turn you down. Yes, you voided your warranty, but a warranty is just them paying for repairs. There should be no problems if you pay.

Best of luck to you.

10. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

If you dont want it anymore i will take :p

Seriously though....i will

11. ryan.go.habs macrumors regular

I think your out of luck.

12. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

If you have an Apple store nearby, take it to them and ask for a replacement. If it was purchased at another retailer, take it to them and ask that it be replaced.

The important part is DON'T tell them what happened. Just show them that the thing isn't working properrly and let it go at that.

13. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

You're lucky this thread went on without someone chiming in with "omg dud3 it's an iPOD TOUCH DUHZ!!!!1".

14. christopher3071 macrumors regular

Except they'll look in the headphone jack and see that it's been subjected to being submersed in water.. It's the first thing they do at the apple store. Unless you were lucky enough to get it at a stupid store like Wal*Mart, even then though, your 30 days of return are long gone if she bought it for you for Christmas.

15. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

16. jlbrown23 macrumors member

Try plugging it in to a wall charger & see if you can get it working that way. If so, then it's probably just your battery that is toast.

I'll share my MacBook story. I spilled ~1 pint of water on it & it stopped working. Opened it up, dried it out, and after a day it worked fine - EXCEPT for the battery. The battery had a full charge(it gave all 5 lights to show it still held the charge), but the MacBook wouldn't recognize it. I bought a replacement battery & it has been working fine for about a year. So clearly there is something in the battery that identifies it as "bad" to the device(not sure if it is some sort of fuse or it is in the code). Maybe the Touch does the same thing.

If it were me, I would find some way to pry it open & dry it more, then get a new battery. If you are not that brave(or foolish - I fully admit to occasionally breaking things doing this), then I would send it to some 3rd party business for a battery replacement. Maybe even tell them your dilemma & ask them to let it dry for a bit. As another poster noted, Apple will KNOW it was under water, and more or less refuse to work on it(they'll insist the thing is fried even if it isn't, and want to replace everything).

Or sell it on Ebay & use the proceeds towards getting a new one - I'd bet you would get at least half the retail price for it. Look at what people get for water damaged MacBooks and you'll see what I mean.

17. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Check if the water sensor in the headphone socket has turned red. You can do this by shining a light into the socket. If it's red Apple may refuse service.

18. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I'd day give it some more time to dry out. Try putting it in an air-tight container (like a tupperware bowl) with Rice. Leave it deal in there for a couple of days, and let the rice pull out all of the moisture.

Keep your fingers crossed before you try it again.

I agree with the idea of trying it on the charger AFTER you dry it out. If it works that way, but the battery is toast, you may be able to find a replacement battery online. I know I saw something about one recently - but it will take some soldering to replace it. You might be better off working with one of the repair places to get it fixed.

I feel your pain though. I can't imagine the conversation with Mom when she/you figured your iPod went through the wash. I'm sure it was split between "how could you wash my iPod", and "it's up to you to make sure you don't leave things in your pockets"...

19. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Posters on other forums have said that even though their touch's indicater showed the unit was wet (one fell in the snow, several went into a washing machine) they took it to the Apple Store and it was replaced without question.

If there is a question, simply saying that it was in your shirt pocket and you spilled a glass of water on your shirt shouldn't nullify your service.

I personally think the sensor is there simply to lead the technician in the proper direction to service your touch, not to viod your warrenty. If the sensor hasn't detected internal water then they go one direction, if it is wet thay do something different.

DON'T do as some have suggested and try to paint the detector with Whiteout(tm), or to jam a peice of tissue paper into the bottom of the phone jack to cove the sensor. Either of these actions can really screw things up and are detectable anyway.

20. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Let me translate what davidy is trying to say:

Go scam Apple corp. for a new iPod. They're a multimillionaire company so a few hundred (more like a few bucks to them, really) will hardly matter.

I personally don't care. People scam companies every day.

21. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

I speak English, as do most here, so my words do not have to be translated. As I said, take it to the place of purchase and show them that it no longer works properly. This has nothing to do with a scam, it's just expecting a purchase to perform as advertized.

If they ask any questions, don't lie, just don't volunteer more information that is necessary.

Oh, and if you "...personally don't care." why did you bother to comment?

22. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

And others are balking at paying a fee for 2.0. Yes, screw Apple, and then go whine about prices, and how you can't afford to pay for an upgrade to your existing device further down the line. :rolleyes: Personally, I care. I care about treating a company that has provided me with well designed, highly effective equipment time and again with due respect. They haven't screwed me over, so why are they fair game anytime a mistake on my part renders my equipment useless?

Apple didn't ruin this guys Touch. His mom did. By your reasoning, being a successful company means they are potential victims for being defrauded by their customer base? Ridiculous. Pathetic. Dishonest. Criminal. That's what it is.

To the OP: I hope you are able to get it fixed. If not, perhaps your mom will buy you a new one? Good luck.

23. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Let me delineate what I'm trying to say. I don't care if others do it because scams are a virtue of every day life. You get scammed every day of your life. You go to work and do what it is you do, your employee is either over paying you or under paying you; that to me is a scam. So an iPod Touch is $300, but you know Apple could sell it for $150 if they wanted it. See the math? That's 2 iPods so why not get your moneys' worth? So yeah, go ahead get what is rightfully yours.

24. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I fail to see how Apple charging $300 for the iPod touch is a scam. Sure, the iPod touch is $150 worth of components/materials, but there's also the money it costs Apple to build the software and to protect their IP. Perhaps you could go out and purchase those $150 worth of components, but just having the pieces doesn't make it a working device. You aren't only paying for the device's hardware, but essentially paying for the effort into making it work. And sure, there has to be some profit in there somewhere, or else why are you in the business to begin with?

You may see all of this as a scam, but in reality it's called business.

25. natezire71 Guest

I know this doesn't help, but....I feel bad for you man...Sorry:(