It's back!...Taco Bell in Mexico City, lol

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Butthead, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine :D

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/20071009-0909-mexico-tacowar.html

I'm just wondering if TB will ever offer US residents the other classic Mexican taquerias specialties like corn fungus and cow eyes as ingredients :p

So will the Panda Express opening in Hong Kong, have regional specialties like bull's penis noodle soup? :p

2. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Do they still have the slogan, "Make a run for the Border." :eek:

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

seems doomed to fail if you ask me. but hey whatever.

4. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

You never know what it may spark though. The presence of McDonalds in Rome spurred an entire Slow Food movement.

Hopefully the Mexicans will not patronize it -- I bet many tourists will go there :(

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I'm pretty sure their Chalupa is a blend of cow eyes and that Chihuahua from the old ads. With all the E-Coli outbreaks at Taco Hell my guess is that the corn tortillas probably have a bit of fungus in them already as well.

Run for the bathroom.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah i'm guessing that tourists would go there.
    i know many Mexican Americans who even hate Taco Bell here so i don't see how it would work in Mexico except for tourists really wanting something 'familiar'

7. l'homme macrumors member

What an insult!

I'm living in Mexico City and as said my conational, writer and social analyst Carlos Monsivais, it would be branded for the upper-classes that take the idea of eating tacos as a low-class distinctive, tough in the city are various taquerias meant to be for the middle-class where prices for a dinner are about 8-15 dlls. per person, and street tacos meant to be for the poor ones are about 20-50 cents. each taco.
    On the other hand, the college students would be a target market if Taco Bell's introduce itself as a fast food concept.

Overall I predict a great success of the products in Fast Food Areas mainly in colleges and highschools.
    I'll be describing the Taco Bell's experience in the city as soon as I can.

Cheers. :)
    ________

-MacBook 1st gen base model
    -Mac Mini C2D base model
    -iMac G3 snow
    -Nano 2g 4GB, nano 1g 4GB
    Waiting for Leopard to update my setup!

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

:D Nice

I find it ironic that in America Taco Bell tries being more Mexican, and in Mexico they're trying to be more American...

9. runningman macrumors regular

I think they'll keep it as Mexico does not mind the immigration into the US because of the influx of US dollars into Mexico as money is sent back.

10. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

As an American, I fail to understand the appeal of American fast food restaurants doing business in foreign countries to anyone but the stockholders. I cringe whenever I visit another country and see these places: Dairy Queen in Cambodia; Pizza Hut and Kentucky Fried Chicken in Prague. Ultimately, though, they wouldn't be there if the people didn't support them. Let's hope Taco Bell either adapts its menu to provide people with the authentic "cuisine" they want or has to make its own run for the border.

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Id like a Gordita please:

istockphoto_1800119_fat_girl.jpg

Doesnt it mean "Little Fat Girl" in spanish!?

12. runningman macrumors regular

Well if it's anything like the food here all they need to provide is toilet paper and a toilet not even in that order

13. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

This will either become a very successful venture with obese mexicans or a horrible idea with obese mexicans... :D There is no way that 'bean paste' should be included in your diet. lol

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm not sure how to say "Cheesy Gordita Crunch" in spanish but I'd suggest learning

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

"Make a run for the bathroom.":p

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Why would I ever eat at Taco Bell when I live in a city where there is real Mexican food? :confused:

17. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Unfortunately, as someone said earlier, many travelers might head straight for Taco Bell just because it's familiar. If they only knew what good mexican food was like to begin with, they'd likely never go to Taco Bell anyway.

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah, I guess you're right. Calling Taco Bell Mexican food is an insult though :p

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Taco Bell is the culinary equivalent of translating an english novel into Japanese using shoddy translation software and then retranslating the whole mess back.
    Certain words are still there, but the context is entirely wrong.

20. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Don't I know it! :D I haven't eaten there in years, and I'll be just fine if I never do again.

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Nice analogy. :D

Yeah, I've done that once while I was in High School 10 years ago and I must say I still remember it being awful. :) I'll be missing the the food here when I move, I'll probably end up coming back often just to eat. :D

22. Teddy's macrumors 6502

Indeed... Chubbychaser :D

23. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

That's like putting an Olive Garden in Rome...

I wonder whose bright idea that was?

24. Twinkie macrumors regular

I'm kind of baffled by the "LOL! TACO BELL IN MEXICO IS DUMB!" sentiment.

Internationally, places like McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken are seen as symbols of the United States.

Do you seriously believe that your typical Korean is going to treat his or herself to haute American cuisine by getting a Big Mac and Popcorn Chicken?

(LOL YES BECAUSE AMERICANS ARE FAT AND ONLY EAT FAST FOOD, AM I RITE) :rolleyes:

Why is Taco Bell any more novel in Mexico than Arby's is in the US?

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Because Taco Bell tries to position itself as the place to get Mexican food on the go. Americans believe that Taco Bell represents actual Mexican food, but it isn't at all. Putting a Taco Bell in Mexico, like someone else said, is like an Olive Garden in Rome. Why would somebody choose to get some crappy taco paste in a stale shell when they could likely walk 10 feet and get real Mexican food?