Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
Because Taco Bell tries to position itself as the place to get Mexican food on the go. Americans believe that Taco Bell represents actual Mexican food, but it isn't at all. Putting a Taco Bell in Mexico, like someone else said, is like an Olive Garden in Rome. Why would somebody choose to get some crappy taco paste in a stale shell when they could likely walk 10 feet and get real Mexican food?
They don't position themselves as Mexican food any more (or less) than Arby's positions itself to be authentic Texas cuisine.

I'm not sure what backwater you live in, but I'd be hard pressed to find an American who believes that Taco Bell is authentic Mexican food.

It isn't any more hilarious than an Arby's in Texas or a KFC in Kentucky.

Why would anybody choose to get some crappy processed beef sandwich, when they can get actual roast beef nearby? Why would anybody choose to get a flash-fried chicken meal in a series of buckets, when they could go to just about any restaurant for an actual meal?

alex.vm

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
I'll tell you this,

No self respecting Mexican (human being if I had it my way) would like it. I lived in Mexico for about ten years, had some of the best food ever back there, and it does *not* begin to compare to Taco Bell's. It just doesn't. Any Mexican would cringe at the thought of cold cheese strings, lettuce or tomato in a taco. In my opinion, those hard taco shells are the epitome of American laziness when it comes to food.

I do see why places like McDonalds and BK succeed in Mexico...even though you will find superior burgers elsewhere in Mexico, there is certain American originality to those places that you want every once in a while, stuff like that is appreciated in Mexico, but Taco Bell? Damn...*shakes head*

Now, why is this being discussed in a Mac forum? ;)

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Now, why is this being discussed in a Mac forum? ;)

I do see the ;) at the end of your post but I see this a lot from people who are new here... there is a large community forum here for discussing things not mac related. If you check it out you'll find threads on politics, current events, girl trouble, dating help etc. :)

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I wonder if Taco Bell will use a Black and Tan Coonhound to say "I want Taco Bell" (in English) in their commericals in Mexico?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.