It's been awhile since Snow Leopards release so...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by waloshin, Dec 22, 2009.

?

Are you still on Leopard

1. Leopard

23 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. Snow Leopard

139 vote(s)
    82.7%
  3. Older Version

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

How many are you are still running Leopard and why?

My reason for still running Leopard is because I am too lazy to go buy Snow leopard.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

So will you feel better in your laziness if others reasons for sticking with Leopard are valid?

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Of course!

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm on Snow Leopard, I always get every new Mac OS X update right when it comes out :)

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Atta boy! Way to stay in the cellar. If you are happy with Leopard...don't waste your energy. Wait for the next big cat.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

waloshin I hope you don't mind I have added a poll to this thread. If you do mind let me know and I'll remove it, if you want any options changed/added PM me.

Oh I'm on Snow Leopard on both of my macs.

7. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

SL here also

And glad I'm using it. Leopard was great, I had no problems with it, but SL seems to be the better OS for me.

8. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Leopard is absolutely rock solid for me on both Intel and PPC systems.
    At the moment I don't see any absolutely "must have" feature in Snow Leopard.
    I still see lots of reports of SL bugs and while I'm sure they don't affect the great majority of users, why risk it if there's no visible gain?

(Actually I have SL installed on an external drive just to play with it, but rarely boot it up.)

9. Sargiel macrumors member

Currently happy with Leopard - although I will be upgrading to Snow Leopard in 2010 when I can't hold off from purchasing Dragon Age any longer :D

10. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I'm on Snow Leopard too; I think it's quite an improvement from Leopard on my white MacBook. Everything is faster. I love it :)

11. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I got a new (refurb) mac right around the time Snow Leopard came out. The laptop came with Leopard but with a SL drop in disc, so I held out for a week or so and then caved and updated :) No problems with it thus far.

12. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Wireless with Apple's Airport cards is almost a no-go with Snow Leopard - at least it is on my Mac Pro and when you search the web, you'll find many people who have problems with wireless connections in Snow Leopard. Apple has released an update recently, but that did not fix the problem.

And before someone smart shows up who thinks this is an hardware issue: No, it's not. Other operating systems (Windows, Ubuntu) on that very same Mac Pro with that very same Airport card do NOT have the problems that Snow Leopard has. And yes, it's a clean installation of Snow Leopard, on a formatted hard disk. With all released updates. Apple completely screwed this up, and they are obviously either unwilling or incapable to fix this. End of story.

I 'fixed' the problem by buying a third party HAMA USB stick, downloaded the RaLink Snow Leopard drivers and since then I can surf even in Snow Leopard.

So there's a perfectly good reason to stay with Leopard if the OS works for you.

But here's another one: On my Mac Pro, I experienced ZERO performance increases compared to Leopard. Wasn't better performance --THE-- advertised reason to purchase this pay-for Service Pack? Well, there are no performance boosts whatsoever.

The next round of (pay-for) updates of Mac applications --MIGHT-- take advantage of those arcane Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL features, but currently nobody is using them. And you'll probably only a fistful of Pro applications will ever use them. In other words: There's no need to pay for an upgrade just to get a feature that nobody uses (yet).

I think it's rather safe to skip the 10.6 upgrade and wait for 10.7.

13. C0ppert0p macrumors newbie

I installed Snow Leopard on my Macbook Pro Unibody. Worked like a charm with no issues what-so-ever.
    Based on that success, I upgraded my iMac, ( 2008 ). It immediately started acting funky:
    Web browser went ascii on some sites;
    Time machine would only do full backups;
    Photoshop went haywire;
    Some software didn't work at all;
    etc etc. ​
    There were just too many issues to resolve so I restored the iMac from the previous boot image. All is good now.
    Funny thing was, the boot image I rolled back to, was the same boot image. Sorry, Identical boot image.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's what I'm doing. And note that this isn't the first time that an update has buggered Airport. I don't know what the wireless team at Apple are smoking but they seem to mess things up with great frequency.

15. jpkh macrumors newbie

Geeez, i WISH i had done the same. Now i'm facing painfull downgrading. Suxposé (exposé) is really painfull now to use, ten's of important programs that i need to use are not working anymore. Fink is broken. Xcode does funny things. Computer freezez a lot, spotlight not working anymore,, it just indexing (been doing it now 3 weeks ;) )

A lot more to whine about it. I'd say those extra $$$ we pay for Apple quality is now big waste of money. After being 8 years of Mac user, first time I really think that I should go back to Winblows. At least you can expect total disaster after upgrade ;)

Well I gotta go and get a new HD to my laptop and then do that painfull downgrade process back to good old Leopard.. byebye Snow.

Many of my friends also said that after upgrading, they had to upgrade also memories on computer to make is fast again and many other problems. so..

My advice,,, STAY AWAY FROM SNOW LEOPARD...

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Seeing as you're only barking about Snow Leopard, the $$$ we "wasted" was only $29. About the price of a good pizza and beer that only last one night.:rolleyes: Honestly, based on how unhappy you are, I think you should take your own advice and head back to the wonderful world of "life without walls".

17. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Snow Leopard on 3 computers, and Leopard on 2.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm sticking with 10.5.8 until I can no longer run it.

19. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Quite right...

My mum was really eager to upgrade her Mac Mini to Snow Leopard after seeing it running on my machine, but alas, her mac is a G4, shame really, but it still does everything and more than what she uses it for :p

I wouldn't go back to Leopard, the performance increase is now so obvious (one of my friends stuck it out with Leopard for a while, before getting fed up and paying the "extortionate" £25).

All of the initial teething problems I experienced (NONE of which were major) have all been patched, updated and resolved, as it was said during it's launch, waiting for 10.6.2 is the best plan, all the kinks get sorted out.

I'd say just to the 5 odd clicks that it takes to buy SL, you won't regret it :p

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I ran Leopard for a while actually, but I missed Tiger too much. :p (and I couldn't run snow leopard if I wanted too anyway; PPC Mac, you see. :p

21. mslide macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to Snow Leopard for one reason only... exchange support (luckily, my company just upgraded to exchange server 2007). Not having to use Outlook and/or Entourage for calendar stuff is well worth $29 and then sum to me. Other than that, Leopard would have been fine for me.

22. sputacus macrumors regular

Snow Leopard the day it was released - improved performance and no problems.

23. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Upgraded to Snow Leopard last weekend....waited until 10.6.2 reports seemed mostly favorable.

Since the release of SL I've been updating all my apps to compatible versions.

I bought an external drive and used CCC to clone my 10.5.8 disk, just in case.

Upgrade to 10.6.0 went pretty smooth...I had to force a reboot at the gray "spinning gear" screen, but after that it was fine. Applied the 10.6.2 combo updater and everything is working fine, printers, scanner, old Radio Shack USB scale (needs Rosetta, but still works), EyeTV, even my Logitech MX Revolution mouse.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had zero problems with my wireless on my MBP and I've not read any other complaints. I'd dare say the problem isn't terribly widespread.

As for performance increase, I've really not noticed too much either and I hate the change to base 10 when it comes to computing disk space.

Overall Snow Leopard is a solid if not boring upgrade. Much of the changes are geared to developers and making the OS ready for the newer computers that will have many many cores available.

Given the cost, the ease of upgrading, the lack of any serious problems or lack of many problems I personally see little reason to hold off. If however you're happy with the 10.5 and see little justification to moving up, then don't. Nobody is twisting your arm and if you're happy/content with your setup by all means live with it. Waiting for 10.7 will be an exercise in patience since that probably a year+ away and it almost surely cost us around 129. For short money you get an upgrade now, but its your computer and your money.

25. aerowave macrumors member

We're still running Tiger & Leopard in our work, we can't upgrade to Snow Leopard because of the current problems with Quark XPress and Type 1 fonts that occurs under Snow Leopard.