It's been forty days and this is still pretty bad.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by [DL], Sep 3, 2011.

1. [DL] macrumors 6502

[DL]

Even after upgrading to the latest version, I still have problems with this.

I get the beach ball quite often, mostly in Safari. It's weird, since Snow Leopard didn't give me the beach ball much at all... Garageband is slowwww to open. It's overall pretty sluggish. Can anyone help me? I have a Late 2009 MacBook with 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and 2 GB of RAM. Snow Leopard rarely ever gave me the trouble this is giving me.

I am not trolling, I just want some help, here. It's worrying me.

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The bugs are still being worked out. If you rely on a computer to perform fine with no problems then updating to a brand new release of an operating system wasn't the best idea.

On that note it's too bad to hear you're having problems. I have a late 2009 with 4GB of ram and have no problems with performance. My only gripe with lion is that it doesn't support dual monitors.

I would suggest a RAM upgrade.

Cheers.

3. [DL] thread starter macrumors 6502

[DL]

Thanks for the pointless -1, whoever gave it to me.

I guess I'll get some RAM.

4. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

The slowness could because Lion is using more ram then Snow. I think the min really should be 4gig, but Apple says 2gig. :/

Hugh

5. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Don't let the stupid-assed rating system on MR bug you. It reflects the immaturity here on the boards and lets you know how many kiddies are reading your posts. I'm actually surprised they're up this late. :D

I'd suggest a clean install if you haven't already done so. If I wasn't so lazy I'd follow my own advice as my MBP freezes at least twice a week and requires a cold boot.

Of course Lion does indeed have bugs and I fear they are working less on those and more on the iCloud features coming in 10.7.2. :(

7. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Well I couldn't stand it any longer. I'm restoring Snow Leopard on my iMac at this very moment. I also have Lion on my Air and on my wife's Pro, and while I'm unimpressed with Lion, it is running satisfactorily on the Air and Pro. All three machines have 2GB memory.

I'm not real sure what the problem is on my iMac, but I've seen more beach balls and freezes since installing (I refuse to call Lion an upgrade) Lion than I have in the previous 3 years.

Lion = letdown

8. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

My restore is complete. Took almost 8 hours. BUT....... using my iMac is fun again. :D

9. basher macrumors 6502

basher

2GB!!!! Try adding at least another 2GB. Running lion in that memory footprint is a set up for failure no matter what Lion's min specs are.

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I hear what you're saying, but explain why my Air and Pro are running without issues and they only have 2GB. There are issues with Lion's memory management, no question.

11. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

When 4 GB of RAM is around $40 and 8 GB is around $80 there's no reason to be running with only 2 GB (unless it's an old Air). I agree with the other posters who have said 4 GB is what Lion needs to run well. RAM is continuing to get cheaper and computers are being loaded with more and more of it. The current MacBook Pros support up to 16 GB. You can't expect Apple or third party developers to continue living in the days when 2 GB was the standard. It's not.

12. [DL] thread starter macrumors 6502

[DL]

I was considering a clean install but then I'd need an external hard drive to back up my stuff... hm, I should get one anyway. :3

Okay, so a clean install AND extra RAM. :p Thanks for all the advice, guys. :D Thank god RAM isn't that expensive... could someone direct me to some RAM that's compatible with my MacBook?

13. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I've used Crucial before (crucial.com). They have a widget on their site that lets you select your Mac & Model, and which then directs you to appropriate memory modules.

14. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

15. [DL] thread starter macrumors 6502

[DL]

You sir, are awesome. :D

16. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

OWC is another good place to get ram from. I bought ram from them and one of the sticks where bad, they over night a replacement. They also paid for the return shipping for the RAM.

http://www.macsales.com

Hugh

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Another original 2GB MBA running Lion with zero failures to date. No performances issues we've seen either.

Granted, we're not doing video editing or using Photoshop with larges files, but that's not what we bought the MBA for in the first place. We would have the same performance hits doing heavy duty tasks with SL, too.

18. [DL] thread starter macrumors 6502

[DL]

Just to point something out, all I'm doing is having both Safari and iTunes open at the same time and doing light web browsing.

19. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

That's pretty much what our MBA is doing - with the addition of Mail and Finale. Sometimes, the fan kicks in a bit when doing larger TM backups (over Wifi), but no lack of responsiveness. (It's my wive's machine, but I keep asking how it's running. She's a s/w engineer, so she has a good sense for what is normal and abnormal.)

Is Safari running any Flash content? If you have a couple of pages with Flash ads running, that could slow things down. The "click to flash" Safari Extension works great to limit when Flash is used. (Excuse me if this was asked before, and I missed it.)

20. [DL] thread starter macrumors 6502

[DL]

It doesn't seem to be compatible with Lion...

21. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Considering it's a major point update, I think Apples done a very good job. An experienced computer enthusiast, I'm not expecting perfection. It's something that takes a few revs to sort out. Apples amongst the best. Patience is the key to happiness.

22. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

As far as the Air goes, unless it's 1st Gen you've got an SSD, which goes a very long way to alleviating issues with not having enough RAM.

23. mrmister macrumors regular

"Patience is the key to happiness."

Or perhaps, "Companies releasing fully-baked software is the key to happiness."

Lion is a buggy, poorly performing joke. The fact that nothing has changed that yet in the updates is appalling.

24. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Updates? What updates? There's been a single update, and it was intended to fix a few specific bugs. Sheesh, none of Apple's major releases of OS X have been super-stable or fast until the .2 or, more reasonably, .3 update. If you expect it to be perfect out of the box, your expectations are too high.

25. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

I been extremely disappointed with Lion's performance.

I can't believe since buying a 2011 MacMini they still have not fixed the digital audio issues. Can't downgrade to Snow Leopard. This Mini is useless for the purpose i bought it for.

There is no excuse. Just hang your head in shame.