it's hard to make $300 scalping iPad 2s

Discussion in 'iPad' started by magicbrain, Apr 11, 2011.

1. magicbrain, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

magicbrain macrumors regular

i live in US, am unemployed & thought it was fairly american to buy low & sell high (wall st does it every day), so i became an "ipad 2 scalper". i've seen a lot of hate towards pipl like me here, so just wanted to share w/ you, how much of a pain in the a** it is & in the end, definitely not worth the hassle.

1) iPad 2 16gb wifi - profit $150 - "easy mislead"
    friday, when iPads 2 came out, i happened to be near a BestBuy at 3:30pm, so i decided to give it a try. 9 pipl in line, i was 10th. they had 11 ipads all together, so got lucky on this one.
    - had ipad1 already, so an a fan, i more wanted to check it out for an evening then sell it. but, to my disappointment, ipad 2 wasn't that much different then ipad 1
    - sold it via craigslist by sun ... & hence my problem. it was too easy

2 & 3) 2 iPads 2 16gb Verizon - total profit $100 cash + a ps3 game
    i mistakenly got excited over this easy profit. so:
    - stood in line at apple store, mon morning at 8am. agonizingly, i had an important business meeting, so had to leave the line ... 5 pipl from the door to the store. however, i later found out that the guy in front of me didn't get his neither
    - tried another apple store next day by 9am was too late
    - got "lucky on" wed. got to that same, north chicago apple store at 8:40am. because they only had verizon models left, asian resellers left the line in front of me & i got the last 2
    * the pain. end up sitting on those for over 2 weeks. tried:
    - macforums - got laughed & cursed at, then moderator gave me 2 warning for not posting on marketplace - which btw is not avail until you post 200 posts ... (kinda crazy, i have been posting here for few years actually, but just not as active as other kids & i'm not even close to reaching 200).
    - ebay (they charge 15% sold fees those days ... now, that's extortion!)
    - amazon marketplace
    - craigslist (week 1) - $100 premium. no responses other then nigerian scammers. $50 premium ... got few legit responses, but still nothing materialized.
    - yelp
    - google adwords (yes ... i was desperate)
    * back to the drawing board & trip to NY. since nothing worked to sell 3g verizon model, decided to change the tactic & trying to exchange them + cash on craigslist.
    ipad #1: exchanged for iPad1 64 3g (good condition actually) + $200 cash. seemed like a good deal, until att started selling them the same week, for $530 ... new
    - then exchanged iPad1 for iPhone 4 32gb ... worth about $600, so not a bad deal (kept the phone, 'cause my 3GS felt apart after 2 years of heavy use)
    ipad #2: exchanged for iPhone 4 16 (3 months old) + $250 cash & a ps3 game :). sold iPhone for $450. you guest it ... game was the "profit".
    transaction was very funny though - some 15 yr old sent his mom, to meet me at apple store, so she can verify that iPad is legist :) - kudos to apple sales guy, who was actually very helpful to confirm it was legit & "it would have to be a hell of a knock of"

so in the end, my friends. it's not as easy, as profitable & as dishonest or immoral, as one might think. stood in lines, like everyone else. spend hours online & email that just weren't worth the profit.
    basically got caught up in greatest viral marketing campaign apple has pulled so far, just like you did if you bought one to keep. i mean, why on earth, pipl would line up & send in lines for hours, in order to _spend_ their hard earned money for, basically a toy, they don't really need.

see you in line for iPad 3 :)

[updated my reply here]

2. Yeah Man macrumors member

3. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to reconcile these two statements :confused:

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

He's meeting another scalper near a van in the IKEA parking lot.

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

That one puzzled me also.

6. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

As OP might be a "kid" I'm going to reserve my comments.

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

well from your link....it doesn't appear that the ipad 2 u were sellling was brand new in box anyways.

8. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

There are far, far easier ways to make money with a computer, an internet connection and no job.

9. Sojourn macrumors member

I read this article a few weeks ago that reports some "scalpers" making twice as much as they paid on iPad 2s -- but they're part of a network, not working solo.

It makes me sad to hear about people who legitimately want them for themselves being unable to purchase them because of these types of resellers' behavior. :(

10. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

eBay UK you would have made double on each iPad even after the 15% sounds like you suck at scalping. Don't give up you day job. lol

11. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Yeah, the problem is OP was not part of a scalping network. Those guys apparently have/had a serious, and quite profitable, business going.

12. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

13. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

"Don't hate the players, blame the game"
    I read this in another scalpers thread (taking no credit), and really agree with it. Obviously the game needs some fixing by Apple.

14. titatom macrumors regular

who says his employment is a legit one ?

"business meeting" doesn't necessarily mean he is employed by corporation and works in a small cubicle like most mortals...

might work for the mob, might sell his body...might just be lying !

To awnser to the thread starter...well you opened my eyes, I though it was a really good idea to sell iPad2 on ebay for 1100$ and someone very desperate (and rich) half way around the world would buy it...nice profit...if you are willing to wait a 30 day Buy it Now auction and pray for some luck...
    it seems it's not that easy, and I'm glad I didn't do it !

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

At what point did scalping becoming an admirable pursuit? These aspiring Donald Trumps spout off about "supply and demand" and "buy low; sell high" as if they're engaged in some capitalist enterprise. It might do them some good to read about free enterprise. The "stand in line for a hot product just to resell it for profit" business model has more in common with Don Corleone than Don Trump.

16. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

17. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

^This

18. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Although I'm not a scalper nor condone it, it was EXTREMELY easy to make $300 profit. Sounds like you just don't have the business skills.

19. st1ngo macrumors member

Ive sold over 30 ipad 2's with no effort at all and made easy money
    Its really not hard at all
    Roll on the next iphone release

20. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    This is exactly the case.

OP, don't get discouraged. A majority of the scalpers do not work solo and have large global networks to ship to and deal with. Small time scaliping will yield no where near the results of these larger organizations. It can still be fun though!

21. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

sorry, in this case the players make the game what it is.

22. bluebermuda macrumors regular

bluebermuda

Exactly. It is obvious that the OP is not very bright. Why would anyone in their right mind waste their time standing in line so as to "maybe" purchase an iPad 2 and pay sales tax for same.

In addition why would anyone in their right mind purchase a Verizon version of the iPad 2. The Verizon 3G network is half as fast as AT&T's 3G network plus Verizon is CDMA and is locked to the Verizon network in the United States therefore the Verizon model sells at a modest premium over retail unlike the AT&T version.

The AT&T version is GSM and factory unlocked. It uses a microSIM card and thus be used on 80% of the world's cell phone networks.

The hot model is the 64GB AT&T iPad 2 which can be purchased from numerous retailers online for $829.00, zero sales tax and free shipping.

Purchase 10 for only $8290.00. They can easily be sold on eBay for $1100.00 each.

Listing fee is .50, final value fee is $53.50, PayPal fee would be $33.00 leaving a net profit $184.00 profit per iPad 2 with a total profit of $1840.00.

Repeat this process 4 or 5 times until supply and demand is in balance and you can net a little less than $10,000 with very little work.

Intelligent people make money and rule over poor people. Tough luck OP.

23. Dreshyne2g macrumors newbie

I sold two 64 gig att iPad 2's. The one on eBay sold for 1400 and one on craigslist for 1200. It took me only 24 hours to sale them. It was easiest money I ever made. :)

24. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I was referring to scalpers as the players, and Apple's selling policy as the game. For those that are upset because they still aren't able to buy the iPad they want, "don't hate the players (scalpers), blame the game (Apple's selling policy)". These so called scalpers did not break any rules. They follow Apple's rules very closely. They loyally line up very early, did not cut in line. They buy their allowed limit of 2 per person per day. What they do with their paid-for properties is nobody's business.

25. bluebermuda macrumors regular

bluebermuda

Exactly! You are an intelligent individual while the OP can barely write a coherent sentence and is doomed to failure in whatever endeavor he pursues. Money always flows to the intelligent. I love the patsies on eBay who are so enamored with the iPad 2 that they will pay a ridiculous price so as to have it in their hot little hands without delay. Take their money, they do not deserve a break.