It's hard to not love my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tymaster50, Nov 27, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Sure it's not a retina or fully upgraded, in fact its a stock but coming from windows since like 2005, I love a mac, things that took effort like getting torrent files to download in the right spot, are just done on mac, no more confusing roaming folders to go through, i can create a new user in like 2 seconds flat, I don't worry about cleaning my registry, and the desktop is organized + integrated apps, I don't even remember having apps on windows before windows 8, or they were so out of place that I didn't even notice them.

It's been 3 months now (got this in september) and I'm still learning but I especially love the integration with my other iOS devices. Literally just typing in a search on my mac and it will auto complete on my phone or ipad next time i want to search for it. Don't even get me started on the apple TV :p

Thanks Apple, I could never do this stuff with Windows.

This isn't a windows bashing post btw.

2. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

I agree, I am die hard Windows user for 16 years and I am in love with mac after first touch of it. Hardware wise mcbpr could blow away any Windows based laptops I own (IBM, Lenovo, Sony etc), it is so much better in any part! Price? I paid $1500 for latest Sony 13 inch VIAO and it is total junk in compare to mcbpr, making fan noise, producing lots of heat, cheapo plastic body rattling on any touch etc

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Congrats. Good that you like your new MBP and the Apple ecosystem is saving you time and avoid windows aggravation.

4. ~Achilles~ macrumors member

Windows machine's feel like they're fighting against me, taking away any enjoyment. The rMBP is like an extension of my hand/body. I find myself picking it up to use just for the sake of using it and admiring it. I've used Windows since I was a kid up until I got my first cMBP a few years ago. Ive never ENJOYED using Windows.

Not only that but they're always horribly built. I dont understand how Apple can get it SO right, and every other manufacturer can get it SO wrong, all the time.

That being said I don't own anything else Apple. Have a Note 3 (have had iphones in the past, but I dont like them - too small, cant customise much). And I feel tablets/ipads would be redundant in my current set up of phablet & 13" rMBP.

5. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

in german is a saying that goes something like this: mac costs money, linux costs time, windows costs nerves"
    After I switched to mac a few years a go I convinced my girlfriend and a lot of friends to try it too. I am the one they come to when they buy it ("Which one do I want?" ^^) and when they have problems. Guess what, I get a call maybe every 3-4 months due to a problem. Until now there was nothing (except my girlfriends logicboard) that a SMC reset couldn't fix.
    Everyone is happy with it and I hear storys like: "I went home to my parents place last weekend but I couldn't use my macbook. Why not?! Because my parents were using it all day long, they are in love with it"

With my own and my girlfriends machine there was a bit of trouble (logicboardreplacement on both), but Apple handled it superb! (It's not just that the things work, it's also how things are handled when they don't!)

6. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I thought I had a serious problem with my mac yesterday, i could move the mouse and all but nothing was clickable, rebooted 2 times and eventually I just pulled the magic mouse out of my bag and turned it off, problem fixed LOL.

But yeah I think I need a tips and tricks thing. I know emoji is cmd + ctrl + space and screenshot is cmd + shift + 4. cmd + opt + space idk what that does but it takes me to the desktop then finder lol

7. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

It takes a few days to set your mac up to your preferences (if you use the trackpad it's important to customize the gestures to your liking. for example I personally hate the natural scrolling.)
    Activate the firewall and set up a few things/apps. If you want you can watch some Windows to Mac videos on youtube - there are a few.
    If you have used your mac for a few weeks all the commands will be like you grew up with them. When you think back then, you wonder how everyone could prefer the Windows shortcut for writing an @ to the OS Xs one.

----------

there is not only one way of doing a screenshot ^^

cmd+shift+3 ... saves whole screen
    cmd+crtl+shift+3 saves whole screen to clipboard
    cmd+shift+4 saves the part of the screen you select
    cmd+ctrl+shift+4 saves the part of the screen you select to clipboard
    cmd+shift+4 and then space saves a windows you seleft
    cmd+crtl+shift+4 and then space saves a window you select to clipboard

8. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I still know a few people adamant on using windows, I hear the "i used mac and switched to windows cause its better" statements, which I highly doubt but its ok lol.

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

one thing i cannot stand about windows is when you open internet explorer and start typing a website and BAM a pop comes up and interrupts my typing and asks me whether or not i want it to be the default browser.

or how about randomly restarting because updates need to be installed...in be middle of a game.

just had to just those off my chest.

10. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

here is my version ^^

11. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

my windows laptop was trash towards the end of its "lifespan". Like it would randomly freeze if i plugged in my headphones, touchpad being unresponsive sometimes, completely locking up at random, slowness in general etc... and that was after windows 8, my mac only lags if i have a lot of stuff open and parallels desktop.

12. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I've never experienced either of these issues, and am currently using Windows 7 Home premium and IE-11.

13. Mac.User macrumors 6502

I was a Windows user from version 3.1 until what ever year the Black MacBook was released. I purchased one of those and have used Mac in my home since. I still have to use/support Windows for work and I have a partition for some games but my majority of use is with OS X.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

After my HP Windows laptop that I paid $1300 for started turning to garbage with overheating, freezing, glitching, and horrible battery life after just a year and a half, I decided to give the Mac a try based off the quality of Apple's iPhone product.

Got a MBP and love it now. It's almost 3 years old now and runs far more efficiently and smoothly than my old Windows laptop. Windows itself is just so inefficient when it comes to utilizing resources. Battery life is great (got even better with the Mavericks update), everything is still blazing fast, and if something ever does go wrong with it I know I can walk into an Apple store and get the problem diagnosed. HP didn't even care about my problems with their laptop since it was past the 1 year mark.

Unfortunately I still had to create a Windows 7 partition in order to use programs like AutoCAD but overall I'm much more happy with the MBP than any other laptop I've ever had before.

15. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

What I love the most is iMessage, I barely look at my phone so being able to reply from my mac, built-in, is just amazing. I think everyone with an iOS device should try to get a mac lol

16. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

if you have more then one browser installed it does it , it always does.

your computer does not install updates?

every windows machine does it unless its disable, by default both of the problems are there.

----------

this was my biggest problem , buy a HP / Dell for 1000+ dollars and after a year its almost useless.

i fixed so many of those trash laptops...love the money but feel bad for the purchasers.

17. marc55, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

In addition to Internet Explorer, I have had Chrome and FoxFire on my computer and have not had the problem you noted. So on your computer it may always, but not on mine.

Yes my computer installs updates, but they are done overnight, and the computer is already restarted when I open it up in the morning. There have been other updates requiring a restart, but you just delay the restart until you are ready.

I know some folks have issues with Windows, and I have had my fair share on older versions like ME or 98, and a lot of folks (to include myself) trash Windows based on those OS's, but Windows 7 has worked really fine for me, and I don't have any complaints.

I'm not doubting you've experienced the issues you noted, but not everyone with a windows PC experiences those issues; at least not me, and for that I am thankful.

18. jasmine84 macrumors member

jasmine84

Thanks for this post :) Sometimes when new stuff is released I go on apple.ca and long for being able to upgrade (you know you all do it too), but you are so right. I am on a 2011 MBA now, the 3rd Macbook I've owned, and it is just lovely. I switched from Windows in 2007 and will NEVER go back. This thing just works! I will now be content with what I have and not go look at how I can blow $4000 that I don't have. haha.

19. SomeMacGuy macrumors member

Been using a maxed-out late-2013 rMBP for a few weeks now. Very impressed, This is my 6th MacBook Pro / PowerBook. Best one so far.

20. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I've enjoyed my mac plenty, but it went next level with Alfred I've pretty much use that to open all my apps now on mac, use it for a ton of other things as well. I keep my dock empty of all apps except those that are running and minimize it as well.

21. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Windows does nothing that you don't allow it to do.
    If you were too lazy to unclick a checkbox or to read a prompt before blindly clicking agree then don't blame Windows.
    Yes, Mac does some things better but some Windows complaints have absolutely no merit.

22. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I've been using Mac's since 1984 (128k!) and Windows since version 1. Plus spent many years as a Unix sysadmin before becoming an IT Architect. I still am amazed at how Windows just gets in my way and i know Windows quite well. They haven't learned much over all these years. Also the hardware is typically poor quality even on the high end PC laptops.

23. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

its a matter of user friendly , stopping a persons typing for needless windows to popup is not user friendly , its garbage.

you may find that user friendly , but i use my computer for work and not just games.

24. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We got it; you love your Mac, and that's great, and I am leaning towards one too.

However, the issues you keep bringing up don't happen to me, so you must have had a virus or malware, and shouldn't be blaming the Windows OS for your issues.

25. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i have been in the IT field for 12 years now, i know that ALL windows machines do it, its a problem.

dont admit it...just keep lying to yourself.

ill leave it at that , reply back if you like but i have wasted enough time on you.