Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
if you have more then one browser installed it does it , it always does.

your computer does not install updates?

every windows machine does it unless its disable, by default both of the problems are there..

I use both Windows and Mac, and have been in the IT field since 1994, and I have no such 'pop up' windows on my windows pc's..

There's a setting in Chrome, IE, and Firefox, etc to not check every time if it's the default web browser. So you don't get bothered when switching browsers.

Secondly, you can and should 'decide' when your PC does updates and reboots, you can schedule it I have mine scheduled to check weekly to do updates when I go to bed overnight. My PC and my Mac both work how I want them too, not how they work by default. They give you the tools so you can make it work like you want it too.

jerrykur

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
one thing i cannot stand about windows is when you open internet explorer and start typing a website and BAM a pop comes up and interrupts my typing and asks me whether or not i want it to be the default browser..

IE will only prompt if you have "Tell me if Internet Explorer is not the default web browser" turned on in the IE advanced settings.

Better yet, forget about IE and use Firefox or Chrome (if you don't mind the Google tracking).

Bri in Mtl

macrumors member
May 29, 2013
For me it's more than the machine(s) itself -it's the support and smiling service I get when I come into the store with yet another one of my dumb questions. (have One to One).
I'm still in awe of the support and help I get.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
i have been in the IT field for 12 years now, i know that ALL windows machines do it, its a problem.

dont admit it...just keep lying to yourself.

ill leave it at that , reply back if you like but i have wasted enough time on you.

We'll excuse me mr. Know it all

ChildishGambino

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2013
i have been in the IT field for 12 years now, i know that ALL windows machines do it, its a problem.

dont admit it...just keep lying to yourself.

ill leave it at that , reply back if you like but i have wasted enough time on you.

With all due respect, having just a few years of experience I know how to solve both of those problems. Don't know what you're going on about, perhaps your experience has jaded you. Being in the IT field doesn't automatically give you any credence to technical issues, you can be in IT without having a damn clue about solving technical issues.

Ai-apple

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
With all due respect, having just a few years of experience I know how to solve both of those problems. Don't know what you're going on about, perhaps your experience has jaded you. Being in the IT field doesn't automatically give you any credence to technical issues, you can be in IT without having a damn clue about solving technical issues.

I totally agree with the statement. I'm not IT profession but I am in engineering and product support related to computer systems. I have IT people asking how to resolve network issues and they are always blaming network issues on passive peripherals on the network.

----------

Back to the subject. My rMBP is coming next week and it will definite be loved. :D

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada

solving them is not the issue,

they shouldn't have to be solved.

some people just don't understand , i guess i am just to smart for most people.

sorry about that

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
or how about randomly restarting because updates need to be installed...in be middle of a game.
I got burned by this one once and it really made me mad. My coworkers joke about how I like to have a million Notepad documents open. I open a new one up to take my notes on various things, and I'll have separate open docs for different subjects. I also don't reboot my computer unless things get terribly slow. So, it's not unusual for me to have 8 or more Notepad docs open, many of which have never been saved to disk (or, if they have, I may have made updates that haven't been saved).

So, one day, I've got all of this up and going and a Windows message comes up and says it's about to reboot my machine because of a software update. It killed all of my unsaved Notepad docs. At least with Word, it would save your unsaved document temporarily so that you could still track it down, but Word is too heavy of an app (with too much space used up by buttons and such) to have a million of them open.

Anyways, after that experience, I dug into the Windows settings and disabled the auto-installing of updates. But, yes, the default behavior can cause a reboot even if you were in the middle of doing something.

Recently I got burned again due to a similarly frustrating Windows-specific failing, though I am more to blame in this example. Again, I had a bunch of unsaved Notepad docs open. Well, my battery was running low. The battery bar is horribly inaccurate on my Thinkpad (like every Thinkpad I've ever owned and, I suspect, every Windows laptop). So it tells me I've got 45 minutes of life left, but then 5 minutes later it's apparently in critical mode and it's forcing my laptop into Hibernate mode. Ugh. So then I go grab my laptop charger and plug it in. Well, little did I know that the cord that plugs into the wall and into the power brick got disconnected from the brick. So I plugged my end into the laptop itself and thought I was good to go. I turn on my Thinkpad and it comes out of Hibernate, but now it's got zero battery life left, and it starts beeping or something and by the time I can find the power brick and what the problem was, it completely shuts off (not enough battery life to go back into Hibernate mode). So, of course, I plug it in and power it up and it's booting from nothing, so all of my Notepad docs are gone.

On my MacBook Air, these issues don't happen for a few reasons:
1) The TextEdit app (yes, I can't resist using it just like I use Notepad on Windows) auto-saves.
2) The battery meter is accurate, or at least I should say it lets me run on fumes. It'll go all the way down to 1% before shutting down on you.
3) If it does get super-low on the battery, it seems to always find enough juice to Hibernate. I'll open up my Air sometimes and it doesn't turn on automatically, so I know the battery went dead. I plug it in, press the power button, and after several seconds everything is back on the screen (including my dozen TextEdit documents) just like I left them.

I'm not anti-Windows, though. I like my Windows 7 desktop that runs Windows Media Center. And there are some things where I prefer how Windows does things. I used to really love the trackpoint (eraserhead pointing stick) that you can mainly only find on Thinkpads. I'm a touch-typist and very fast and I liked not having to move my hands off the keyboard. I never liked any touchpad I ever tried. After switching from a Palm OS Treo smartphone to my iPhone and becoming a huge fan of that, I decided to try a MacBook and my Air's touchpad managed to win me over. There are still some times when I wish I had a trackpoint, but then there are a lot of things where the touchpad (particularly Apple's large version of it and how well it's implemented into the UI) is clearly better.

fratey

macrumors regular
May 6, 2010
2) The battery meter is accurate, or at least I should say it lets me run on fumes. It'll go all the way down to 1% before shutting down on you.
Your battery is dust. My iPhone 5 does the same thing – first 50 percent are normal, but it goes from 50 percent to 0 percent in 20 minutes of usage and sometimes dies on 20%.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Your battery is dust. My iPhone 5 does the same thing – first 50 percent are normal, but it goes from 50 percent to 0 percent in 20 minutes of usage and sometimes dies on 20%.
I didn't say my MacBook battery drained ultra-fast. I was talking about my Thinkpad, there. I was saying that my MacBook, when it does get down to under 5%, still lets me keep using it all the way down to 1%.

Now, having said all that, I actually do want to do some sort of battery test on my Air. I'm going to be wiping it soon and giving it to my daughter and I'm hoping that the battery life is still decent. I don't pay super-close attention to it, but it does feel like I'm getting a good deal less than whatever it was originally rated for.

Oh boy...I just did some searching and discovered that my battery has 941 cycles and is reporting the "Service battery" message. It's currently on battery power showing 92% but just 3.5 hours of life. :( I never purchased AppleCare, so I'm definitely outside of that (would they even cover a battery replacement anyway?). So, if I brought it into the Apple store, what would they charge me for a new battery replacement? I see that iFixit has a self-service battery replacement tutorial and sells a battery for $110.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I got burned by this one once and it really made me mad. My coworkers joke about how I like to have a million Notepad documents open. I open a new one up to take my notes on various things, and I'll have separate open docs for different subjects. I also don't reboot my computer unless things get terribly slow. So, it's not unusual for me to have 8 or more Notepad docs open, many of which have never been saved to disk (or, if they have, I may have made updates that haven't been saved).

So, one day, I've got all of this up and going and a Windows message comes up and says it's about to reboot my machine because of a software update. It killed all of my unsaved Notepad docs. At least with Word, it would save your unsaved document temporarily so that you could still track it down, but Word is too heavy of an app (with too much space used up by buttons and such) to have a million of them open.

Anyways, after that experience, I dug into the Windows settings and disabled the auto-installing of updates. But, yes, the default behavior can cause a reboot even if you were in the middle of doing something.

Recently I got burned again due to a similarly frustrating Windows-specific failing, though I am more to blame in this example. Again, I had a bunch of unsaved Notepad docs open. Well, my battery was running low. The battery bar is horribly inaccurate on my Thinkpad (like every Thinkpad I've ever owned and, I suspect, every Windows laptop). So it tells me I've got 45 minutes of life left, but then 5 minutes later it's apparently in critical mode and it's forcing my laptop into Hibernate mode. Ugh. So then I go grab my laptop charger and plug it in. Well, little did I know that the cord that plugs into the wall and into the power brick got disconnected from the brick. So I plugged my end into the laptop itself and thought I was good to go. I turn on my Thinkpad and it comes out of Hibernate, but now it's got zero battery life left, and it starts beeping or something and by the time I can find the power brick and what the problem was, it completely shuts off (not enough battery life to go back into Hibernate mode). So, of course, I plug it in and power it up and it's booting from nothing, so all of my Notepad docs are gone.

On my MacBook Air, these issues don't happen for a few reasons:
1) The TextEdit app (yes, I can't resist using it just like I use Notepad on Windows) auto-saves.
3) If it does get super-low on the battery, it seems to always find enough juice to Hibernate. I'll open up my Air sometimes and it doesn't turn on automatically, so I know the battery went dead. I plug it in, press the power button, and after several seconds everything is back on the screen (including my dozen TextEdit documents) just like I left them.

I'm not anti-Windows, though. I like my Windows 7 desktop that runs Windows Media Center. And there are some things where I prefer how Windows does things. I used to really love the trackpoint (eraserhead pointing stick) that you can mainly only find on Thinkpads. I'm a touch-typist and very fast and I liked not having to move my hands off the keyboard. I never liked any touchpad I ever tried. After switching from a Palm OS Treo smartphone to my iPhone and becoming a huge fan of that, I decided to try a MacBook and my Air's touchpad managed to win me over. There are still some times when I wish I had a trackpoint, but then there are a lot of things where the touchpad (particularly Apple's large version of it and how well it's implemented into the UI) is clearly better.

yup, default windows behaviour is BS , i wish more people on here would understand that instead of rambling on that there machine has never done that.

too many people with ZERO knowledge.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
What I love the most is iMessage, I barely look at my phone so being able to reply from my mac, built-in, is just amazing. I think everyone with an iOS device should try to get a mac lol

LOL I jokingly say if you don't text me on an iOS device my response could be 2-3 days later LOL. I love iMessage.

ChildishGambino

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2013

sorry about that

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh my god that was the greatest thing I've ever heard.

Thank you lord for blessing this man with the arrogance and complete lack of self awareness that results in pure comedy. I think I collapsed a lung I've laughed so much.

triplelucky

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Tucson, Arizona, USA
I was a Windows guy for years. I thought that constantly trying to fix the broken OS was what having a computer was all about.

It was a way of life. fix the drivers, fix the cross threaded files, chase the virus, isolate the virus, fix the corrupted dll’s. On and on.

In the brief moments when my Windows stuff was running I used the time to fix other poor Windows users broken stuff, then back to mine, in a never ending loop.

There was hardly any up time to actually run programs.

Then I picked up a Mac sort of by accident. I was shocked, sort of amazed.

It just sat there and worked, day after day, week after week, and now year after year. No problems.

So for me… Its hard not to love my Macbook Pro and Os X.

blake2

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Sure it's not a retina or fully upgraded, in fact its a stock but coming from windows since like 2005, I love a mac, things that took effort like getting torrent files to download in the right spot, are just done on mac, no more confusing roaming folders to go through, i can create a new user in like 2 seconds flat, I don't worry about cleaning my registry, and the desktop is organized + integrated apps, I don't even remember having apps on windows before windows 8, or they were so out of place that I didn't even notice them.

It's been 3 months now (got this in september) and I'm still learning but I especially love the integration with my other iOS devices. Literally just typing in a search on my mac and it will auto complete on my phone or ipad next time i want to search for it. Don't even get me started on the apple TV :p

Thanks Apple, I could never do this stuff with Windows.

This isn't a windows bashing post btw.

No registry and iOS integration all the way.

I'd been using Dos and Windows mostly(apart from using my father's IIsi from time to time) until I got a G3 iMac in college but returned to Windows till recently, but nowadays the experience in Mac OS is just... better.

I think I probably wouldn't even need Boot Camp if most of the work software in my country weren't exclusively in Windows.

sachin234000

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
India
Mac is my love.

I was a windows user for over 8years and if you ask "spotlight" alone could be the reason to prefer OSX over windows. It's is so much more useful than windows search. Completely blown away by this small feature and there is a million reasons to use mac over windows.
Which i first used the mac and the first impression was how stone age windows is compared to OS X.

1. Beautiful hardware & build quality
2. Battery life
3. Auto-saving feature when battery is dead.
4. Gestures( Love them)
5. No/very very very few viruses
6. ShareMenu/dictionary everywhere
7. Spotlight
8. Buttery smooth UI.
9. iCloud, iMessage, facetime
10. App Store
11. No maintenance
12. Time machine backup
13. No drivers are necessary, everything is plug n play.
14. Screen quality, spears, customisable keyboard shortcuts.
15. Excellent re-sale vale.

Mac is futuristic.:)

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
yup, default windows behaviour is BS , i wish more people on here would understand that instead of rambling on that there machine has never done that.

too many people with ZERO knowledge.

----------

QUOTE=MacModMachine;18458339]solving them is not the issue,

sorry about that[/QUOTE]

Not too modest are we!

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
says the guy who cannot even quote properly.....LOL

It was my Windows computer's fault; LOL

But hey, did I go and point out your incorrect spelling of "too" in your post "i guess i am just to smart for most people"?

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.