It's hard to park your car just right

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tzhu07, Nov 2, 2015.

1. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

Mostly, it's about getting within the lines, but I can never seem to park perfectly. I make an effort to see how well I can do it each time I park my car, but rarely succeed like in the diagram below.

[​IMG]

This is really just an OCD-level rambling more than anything else.

But I'm just wired that way. I can't help but see these things.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I don't get a measuring tape out - but I think I'm generally right in the middle.

3. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

I use the lines on the backup camera to get me close. At my current workplace it doesn't seem to matter how well I park though, I've gotten more door dings/scuffs in 3 months than in my last 10 years of driving. One door seriously has 3-4 dings in it.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I usually do a pretty good job, but every now and then I botch it up pretty good.:oops:

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It's probably easier if you back in if you want to get it perfect. Depending on your cars turning radius and size, getting into a accurately may be more/less difficult. If you have all wheel drive, depending on how the system is designed can have an impact on inconsistencies with tight turning radiuses. That shouldn't really be a factor for most cars.

Even with my old car that had variable front & rear locking differentials (locking differentials on the axels is not common), I never seemed to too much of an issue parking within the lines in a fashion that allows adequate room on either side...

Practice?

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Parking isn't that hard. Use your mirrors and reverse in. Pretty easy in fact.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess it takes time. I generally have little problems parking my truck, either parallel parking or what not.

8. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Camera with sensors helps tremendously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no excuse to ever park wrong with this setup...

My Daewoo has cameras in the side mirrors to look down, camera in the back, and parking sensors all the way around. Who knew Daewoo was so far ahead of the curve. This is a 2001 Lanos!

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My family has been a Lincoln family for a while, and my mom had a series of Town Cars that I drove extensively(all three of them). After learning to "dock" those correctly, I feel like even my daily driver Lincoln LS(significantly smaller than the Town Car) is easy to park. Of course, RWD with a tight turning circle(at least relative to the size of the vehicle) helps a lot-I always had trouble with my dads front wheel drive Continental because the turning circle on it felt huge(and it was relatively speaking).

It amazes me how easy my little MG is to park, but I suppose that's not all that surprising considering that it's over a foot narrower than my LS and a foot and a half narrower than the Town Car.

BTW, I almost never back in a bigger car when parking, but almost always back my MG into a parking space. My big reason with the MG is that I feel a lot safer pulling FORWARD into oncoming traffic given the size and overall stature of the car.

11. dogslobber, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015

dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Park so you take up two spaces. Problem solved.

You're lucky you can parallel park. Most Americans can't!

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you live in the city, you learn really fast. I think the comment that most Americans can't is incorrect for the very reason that city dwellers have too.

13. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I wouldn't call those attempts to get their vehicle into that space parallel parking ;-) It's something else but not parallel parking.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I like to think I do quite well each time I park. All the way from a 1992 Lincoln Town Car to an F-150 Supercrew and now a little Ford car. I always back into parking spots, so I get lot's of practice in parking and always keep centered in the lines and never put my bumpers over a sidewalk.

This thread reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, or two...

15. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Parallel parking use to be a part of the driver license test.

16. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Not possible. It's a private office complex with roaming security, they know what cars belong to who and WILL report improper parking behavior to managers.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, I suspect that @dogslobber meant his post as a joke, rather than a seriously proffered piece of advice.

18. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I just park in red zones. They're roomy and always available.

19. Susan159 macrumors newbie

Susan159

Whenever turning into a parking spot be sure to take the turn as wide as you can. That should help get you in there even.

20. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

"The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone"

21. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

"Listen Bunny, don't start up with your white zone **** again!"

22. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

tzhu07,

practice makes perfect, try practicing parking in an empty lot.

i normally park my car this way and away from everyone. kinda OCD about parking close to others because there's always some knucklehead who parks too close and when they open their door(bam), i get nicked.

23. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You are probably turning into the spot too early. It's much harder to make your car straight if the rear (whole car) is on an angle, even reversing and trying again.

24. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

But isn't the red zone for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers?
    Or is that the white zone
    Always get them mixed up.

25. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Classic.
    It been a while, I might need a marathon of those two movies and the naked gun series.