Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
FedEx just arrived. Usually they say "by 7pm" which means 6:59, but it got here at 10am!!!

I've been taking pics and everything, I'm just now through the OSX setup and downloading updates. First things first... install Firefox.

I'll get the pics up ASAP, I want to do it from the Mac, not this PC.

This is SO exciting, way better than my child being born. I've never had a computer this nice...

Time to get it all updated... then install the ram!!

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
FedEx just arrived. Usually they say "by 7pm" which means 6:59, but it got here at 10am!!!

I've been taking pics and everything, I'm just now through the OSX setup and downloading updates. First things first... install Firefox.

I'll get the pics up ASAP, I want to do it from the Mac, not this PC.

This is SO exciting, way better than my child being born. I've never had a computer this nice...

Time to get it all updated... then install the ram!!

where did you get your ram and what kind? im about to throw another 500 or 750 in my mac pro and some more ram, i have 1.25 in there now + 2 gigs (4x512's)

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
INITIAL IMPRESSIONS / OBSERVATIONS

- Great packaging
- setup was easy, wireless kb/ms easy
- It has an internal speaker built in! I didn't know this. Rocking out Mono....
- Installing RAM was stupid easy
- installing Raptor was stupid easy
- "Unreadable Disk" scared me, but then I partitioned the Raptor into 2 partitions and now it's great. Also.. I can't hear it at all. I've read/written to it and barley can hear it clicking.
- Pioneer DVD-RW 112D is the superdrive that's installed... so hopefully that's the good one.

Attachments

• about.jpg
    about.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 69
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 121
  • room.jpg
    room.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 199

MacTO

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
Good for you. Mine arrived about 2 months ago and when it did, I got so excited, couldn't remember when was the last time I was that excited about something.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I've got the PC running side by side right now so I can continue to earn money while I set this baby up.

Give me a while and later tonight I'll post some serious pictures. I know the rest of you probably couldn't care less, but I literally feel like this is the most fun I've had in a loooooooooong time.

Already though, there are some strange things about the Mac world that are going to take getting used to. Here's what I've noticed so far:

- firefox 2.0 isn't bug-free when it comes to multiple displays... the address bar dropdown and such appear on the main screen, even if the browser is off on another display.
- when tabbing through a form, dropdown menus are skipped. maybe this is just a firefox thing too. Probably is.

- I couldn't figure out how to open my CD tray... I had to go to the apple website help files. I know its dumb, but crap, from a PC user, I am like "there's no eject button on the tower!?"

I'm loving it though. It's going to be hard to take this to the office and leave it every night... maybe this is the perfect time to start working from home and quit paying the overhead of a brick-and-mortar office!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I've got the PC running side by side right now so I can continue to earn money while I set this baby up.

Give me a while and later tonight I'll post some serious pictures. I know the rest of you probably couldn't care less, but I literally feel like this is the most fun I've had in a loooooooooong time.

Already though, there are some strange things about the Mac world that are going to take getting used to. Here's what I've noticed so far:

- firefox 2.0 isn't bug-free when it comes to multiple displays... the address bar dropdown and such appear on the main screen, even if the browser is off on another display.
- when tabbing through a form, dropdown menus are skipped. maybe this is just a firefox thing too. Probably is.

- I couldn't figure out how to open my CD tray... I had to go to the apple website help files. I know its dumb, but crap, from a PC user, I am like "there's no eject button on the tower!?"

I'm loving it though. It's going to be hard to take this to the office and leave it every night... maybe this is the perfect time to start working from home and quit paying the overhead of a brick-and-mortar office!

Try using Safari and see if that solves any of your issues. And you eject the CD tray by holding down the button on the top right, the up arrow with a line under it. Congrats on the Mac Pro!

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
Awesome :)

Mac Pros look MUCH better in real life than in pictures... And much bigger! (I accidentally stumbled upon a whole room full of them when looking around my local University for 'work experience' today. Very nice machines!)

Have fun with it :)

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
here's a shot of the computer in its maybe temporary home. That monitor on the left is just my spare I used with my laptop, but for now it's the triple.

I can totally see how a 30" and a 21" on each side would the the ultimate.

I'm learning alot about what it is really like to try and use a Mac as a real workstation now... I'll post more later, maybe enlighten some other Switchers on to what to expect.

Attachments

• wall.JPG
    wall.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 155

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Man, you're making me jealous… I ordered a Mac Pro yesterday and it won't be here until Friday at the earliest. :(

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
in the cubicles
yeah , but aren't you upset that you shoulda waited ? ( irony alert )

got mine today , thing is like a rocket , very impressed

if you want one , get it , don't let all the doom mongerers on here put you off

in 9 months time there'll probably be an update to next month's update , then 6 months after that

etc etc..zzzzzz

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Congrats & Here's How I Do 4 Screens

Left 2001FP Dell 20" Portrait Mode 1526w x 2048h
Mid 3007FPW Dell 30" 2560w x 1600h
Right 2405FWP Dell 24" 1920w x 1200h
Far Right LN-S4095 Samsung HDTV VGA Input 40" 1920w x 1080h

Quad G5 with NVIDEA GeForce 6600 24" + 40" + ATI Radeon X1900 GT for PCIe G5 PowerMacs 20" + 30"

Looking forward to the New 8 Core Mac Pro Next Month.

Attachments

• 4ScreenDesktopCropped.jpg
    4ScreenDesktopCropped.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 180

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Native 1920 x 1080 HDTV Is A Perfect 4th Screen.

how does your samsung and mac co habit ?

i'm amazed at how good an hd tv & mac can look via hdmi tbh
Totally compatible. I could use DVI to HDMI but I find the VGA input looks just as good and that saves one of the two HDMI inputs back there for something else - plus I didn't have to buy a new DVI to HDMI cable. I assign the HDTV to be the default screen for Quicktime Player and for EyeTV recordings. My mp4 renderings of Smallville look better than the native 'cause it comes in off air in reduced 16:9 (Letterbox+Pillarbox). But after I rip it for iPod using 1k bit rate and cropped to full HD size (624x352 - still works on iPod 350MB file), it plays back soft but full screen 30fps on the 40" and looks great. Get fooled by the great audio. ;)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Mac Pro's One Year Anniversary In August + Intel Processor Prices Plunge End Of July

This a guess/estimation?
Yes. Original Mac Pro will be one year old. Intel Processor prices plunge end of July. Window before spotlight on Leopard closes end of September. So it's most likely August or September for the new Mac Pro. But it's only a guess. :cool:

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
we need more pr0n :)

Here's mine, though I bought my mac pro when they came out.

I moved in like 3 weeks ago (bought a house).

The 3rd monitor is in the living room--a HDTV connected by 50 foot HDMI. Also, 5.1 surround sound with a pioneer receiver connected with 50 foot optical audio cable.

The picture over that much HDMI is fine except the cable I strung through the attic is a bit too close to the A/C unit on the top of the house (like 3 feet; I am the limbo champ), so occasionally it gets red dots on black colors when the compressor is running. I'll tin-foil that later. Naturally the audio is unaffected.

A month ago I was living in a 420square foot studio apartment. Pretty good for a college student :)

Attachments

• Comp setup july 07.jpg
    Comp setup july 07.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 113
  • living room setup july 07.jpg
    living room setup july 07.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.