It's here

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by martinX, Jun 21, 2011.

1. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

2. Blipp macrumors 6502

I'm at work now but I can't wait to get home and download it. I'm looking forward to seeing what people dig up throughout the day.

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Anyone found any new features? All that stands out to me is the new, dark UI and being 64-bit.

Also, compressor for $50 but it seems to only have a new icon.

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Just watched the overview on Apple's site and think we can infer Color, Soundtrack, DVD Studio and presumably Cinema Tools have gone the way of the dodo.

Anyway, off to pay and play.

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

wow, you're right... no Color app. That's a huge surprise seeing how much apple paid to acquire the software, just to transform it into a couple sliders and secondaries in FCP X.

6. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Nope.

8. dtechlogic macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

Should i buy it or wait until everyone feels that there is no problem with the software. Advice Less than $500 even cheaper then Vegas Pro.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Kinda crestfallen. I was hoping the release of FCP X would reveal a lot of things that weren't shown in the NAB sneak peak but that doesn't seem to be the case. Hopefully Apple will move to a faster update cycle because this version seems to be lacking a lot and, IMO, two years is too long for a big update if they don't want to lose even more ground to Avid and Adobe in the professional space.

I predicted that Apple would support FCP 7 and FCP X concurrently and now really hope that prediction is accurate.

Lethal

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I cannot see this not being true. It will be like OS 9 when OS 10.0 was released. They will have to support both as there are key critical features missing from FCPX.

11. alph45 macrumors member

i personally am not missing anything from the old fcp. as far as i can tell, functionality and performance are improved. i mostly want to be able to open old fcp projects and save as fcpx. i like that a lot of the functionality from DVDstudio / color / compressor are wrapped into fcpx as one piece of software. Couldn't care less if they lifted ideas from imovie as long as they're GOOD ideas. Haven't seen anything i don't like so far.

the only question for me will be how good these tools actually are. will the built-in color be an adequate substitute for color, etc.

12. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

what about plug-ins? Will Magic Bullet Looks for example still work with FCP X? Has anyone tried this out?

13. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

lethal, I'm with you. There were lots of gaping holes in the "sneak peek", and I was sure Apple would fill them in upon release. But as it turns out, Apple didn't mention them because the features are in fact absent.

Log and Capture is quite dumbed down, almost gone.
    Multicam is gone.
    XML workflows no longer supported
    OMFs (for ProTools, Logic, etc.) no longer supported.
    EDLs no longer supported.
    Dual monitoring only possible in two pre-defined configs.
    The entire Color application is gone.

There are mumblings of these things coming back soon, but there's no telling when. Interesting times for Apple editors.

14. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I'm pretty surprised... pretty much everything in PDP's list needs to be in a pro editor. I can almost hear Avid execs laughing maniacally in the distance.

I've told my main freelance client to stick with FCP7 for now so that I can continue grading in Color until I can move over to Resolve v8 sometime in the next few months.

15. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

I'm quite intrigued by it. It might suit me quite well, but then I'm not
    a professional editor. One thing that slightly concerns me: the App Store
    app won't let you download it if it decides your graphics card is not suitable.
    What happens if you install a 3rd party GPU that Apple doesn't approve of?

I wonder what people think about the lack of a standalone installer.
    What if the machines you edit on are not internet connected? How do
    you install FCP X then? Are you happy with running the App Store app,
    which is largely consumer oriented (games distribution etc.) on your
    business machine?

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

While this may be a fantastic revision, I am not sold...

Besides, every single move apple has made in the past 5 years has been geared towards further developing it's tech-ignorant iConsumer base.

Why should anyone be surprised they are trying to sell their "Pro" apps as download only through their iToy store?

Anyways, give it a couple updates and I'll probably cave and buy it for $300.

Nope.

17. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

No more

As I posted yesterday on this forum about July being 10 days away I can now shut up at last!
    Curious about no DVD stuidio pro. I hope they bring that out for 50 or less. Sure I can buy Encore but that's pretty expensive to build a menu, at least with these new price points from Apple, granted you don't seem to get as much, so I read, could be very wrong, hope I am.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

According to a white paper from AJA FCP X's video I/O seems totally gimped. It doesn't sound like there is anyway to get a broadcast quality video signal out of FCP X. Tape I/O is handled by the AJA app (no integration at all w/FCP X) and your video monitoring out is basically extended desktop mode. Your Kona card will display the Viewer window in your broadcast monitor and it's preview quality only.

Lethal

19. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

wow... wow... :confused:

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't care how good the new color correction tools are if I can't even get a proper video signal out to my broadcast monitor.

I was planning on getting FCP X right out of the gate to tinker w/it, but I personally don't see the point as it currently doesn't appear to fit into any workflow that I use. I picked up Avid at a discount and I'll start getting my chops back on that and I'll pick up FCP X to play around with sometime down the road. At this point in time FCP X is a distant third compared to Adobe and Avid, IMO. I hope that changes though 'cause there are some things in FCP X that look cool.

Lethal

21. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

From what I gather, FCPX is best for a one-man shop type people (like me). I import my own footage, cut it, color correct & sweeten my own sound.

I can't imagine you Pro editors jumping ship yet, at all. Granted, this is a 1.0 release, and Apple couldn't possible have rewrote/redesigned a NLE with all of FCP7 features quickly.

FCPX seems up my alley (I do short films, music videos, small ads). I'm anxious to try it for my next project!

I can't wait to watch this YouTube tutorials on it to see it in action.

22. HunterGather macrumors member

No multicam in final cut?? WAAT?
    And, anyone try the DVD aspect of it yet? Is it essentially DVD Studio Pro merged into it now?

23. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

However, FCP X has been in development for quite a while now and omitting many of the features that professional editors actually NEED to get their work done is simply inexcusable. It seems more to me like a classic case of Jobs telling people what they need; except that outside of the consumer market, that simply doesn't fly.

Pro editors don't need shiny, polished toys; they need tools that do quality work efficiently. I really had my hopes up that maybe FCP X wouldn't ditch its roots, but it clearly did. No legacy project file support, no EDL/XML workflow, no tape workflow, no OMF export, lacking video I/O, NO A/V TRACKS, the list goes on. In fact, so much is missing, I have my doubts that Apple would even address all of that (if at all) in a point update.

I'll stick with FCP 7, thank you.

24. jbdd21 macrumors newbie

Question for those who have tried FCP X. Is it possible to render a project, and start working on another at the same time without the wait dialogue preventing you from working? That's my big beef with iMovie. And if this is so, I will quickly buy FCP X.

25. martinX thread starter macrumors 6502a

martinX

I wasn't planning on upgrading at work for some time (budget cycles and all that) but I won't be able to do it until multicam is introduced.

I will upgrade at home, though. I'll still miss multicam there, though, too.