It's Impossible To Prevent Scratches

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mackandproud, Mar 26, 2013.

1. mackandproud macrumors 6502

I kept my first iphone5 in a defender case. Within a week, it was scratched. A nice, shiny one on the bottom edge chamfer.

I blamed the case.

I exchanged it. I figured it would be more or less impossible to scratch the phone within a nicely fitted but quite soft TPU case. Wrong. My 5 is scratched again. It's been dropped 2X onto a bunch of clothes on the floor and onto the carpeted floor of my car.

Amazingly, the phone is scratched again.

I'm learning to accept the scratches. It's kind of nice not being anxious about the "first scratch." I can just use it now. But man, I hope they get this issue sorted.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Odd. Went bare for weeks before I got the cheap case that I'm using now. No scratches at all. Do you keep your phone in your pockets? Might be lint, dirt, sand, etc. that gets trapped between.

Had this issue with the 4 and the stainless steel sides, but so far my 5 is looking mint.

3. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually keep the phone in a case and then put the phone inside a microfiber carrying case. I'm really careful about keeping the phone in pockets which are free of lint (for the most part).

I've posted several times about this, but I am basically mystified as to how the 5 gets scratched. I also clean out the case to prevent scratches as well.

It's just infuriating.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

I've had mine since Christmas, I use it naked and looking at it up close with a strong light I find four very small (1-2 mm) scratches along the edge that I can't see otherwise, and an about 3 mm long scratch that I can see in normal conditions if I hold it at a specific angle.

The only thing I try to think about is not to slide it across surfaces in fear of scratching the lens...

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I use a OB defender, leather sleeve or naked. Not one scratch. Black IP.

6. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

phone is black of course right?

7. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

Get a white IP5 for the time being until the
    Next iPhone

8. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

The OB is known for this.

My black iphone 5 spent 4 months in an Incipio Frequency and 2 months in a Belkin Candy Grip Sheer, lots of drops and no scratches.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I haven't got a single scratch on my launch day black 5, been kept in a black plastic case.

Moral of the story? Don't drop your phone.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

OP may find it impossible but that doesn't mean it's impossible as a rule.

As for the "moral" above. Drops aren't the only cause of scratches. Grit (whether in a pocket, between the case & device, etc etc) is a very common cause.

11. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't say it's impossible in every case, but it's been impossible in mine. I clean my case every week, and it has always been free of noticeable dust or lint during cleaning and inspection.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I would suggest you edit your thread title to be "It's Impossible For Me To Prevent Scratches" instead.

13. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

LOL, I agree. I've had mine since launch day and I could clean the screen and tell you I bought the phone today and you wouldn't question it. Just like anything, "treating it nice" is subjective.

14. thelookingglass, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I don't understand OP, either. I've had a number of cases since launch and no scratches on my phone.

15. Mellisaray macrumors regular

my case is a leather one, it works good, no scratches at all, maybe you can try the otter box, since it have more protection.:p

16. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

17. Oui macrumors 6502

That's the least likely thing to scratch its a saphire crystal lens.

I don't even use a case on the iP4S and its not scratched.
    But on that iPhone the back is easily switched at apple store.

18. hafr macrumors 68030

I'm not really likely to be in a car accident either, still I fasten my seatbelt. I know statistics tells me a fire insurance on my house is a waste of money, I still have one. My kids aren't really in any danger of being snatched up by a crazy pedophile, yet I take them to school instead of letting them walk alone. The risk of someone seeing if my door is open is close to none, yet I lock the door when I leave my house.

Risk minimising behaviour, however irrational or useless someone might find it, is just part of human behaviour. As is the need to criticise other people's choices. You know, like you did when you claimed something in the lines of intelligent people aren't buying screen protectors...

19. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Using a bumper and not a blemish. All these "woe is me" posts make me wish my iPhone luck would transfer to my lottery ticket purchases.

20. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

The defender is the one with a plastic shell and whatnot right? Perhaps it doesn't fit snug with the device and any movement would cause the phone to scratch up. Mine has been in a Speck Candyshell case and have not had a single scratch on mine. It's also had a case + screen protector on it since day one.

21. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I agree with others. get the white iPhone and don't use a slider style case.

22. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I got my phone on launch day, and there aren't any new imperfections other than a nick on the side that was there when I opened the box.

23. Oui macrumors 6502

Not one of those points has any bearing on what I said.
    Not even the accusation of me saying intelligent people don't use screen protectors. I just said most people have no common sense that doesn't mean they are not intelligent.
    Anyway I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

24. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Use a full body skin and your set no need for bulky case, the skin will prevent scratches .

25. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

I might have to do that. It seems a little labor intensive but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Skinomi?