Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Its just a big iPod touch you wasted your money

^^^^how do you respond to that when people say that?^^^ today I was typing up a paper in school and the kid next to me looked at me and told me I wasted my money when he asked how much paid for it...like I love it but i didn't know how to respond.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Typically, responding with a thousand-yard-stare and a detailed account of a traumatic experience will shut people off for a good long time.

I rely on my crazy for a lots o' things.

Other than that, enjoy your iPod. :p

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
I've not had that reaction yet. People are usually a bit hesitant to be so rude.

However, if I did I'd just tell them I don't agree and get on with my life. Amazing I know.

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
I tend to respond to them with

"That's the point."

Because, it is. And it's why I like it.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
A couple of people I know have pulled the 'It's just a big iPod line with me'. I just shrug and smile, I know better than them.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Haven't come across any "hate" as of yet, more or less the opposite actually.

If said scenario were to happen though, doubt I'd actually react to it. I'm not going to justify my purchase to some irrational random.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
The points about it being "big" is exactly why I bought the iPad. Why in the he'll would I bother surfing the web, or watching any type of video on a 3" smartphone?

I've "wasted" a hellva lot of money on far more retarded stuff over the years than a device I use daily for work and entertaiment purposes. Sorry if some people can't see the benefits. It's not for everyone and that's ok. I find it very useful and very entertaining.:)

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
You simply inform them that its missing several of the features of an iPod Touch like a video recorder, retina display, Facetime, etc. but you hope to upgrade in about 9 months and THEN it will be a big iPod Touch.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles

^^^^how do you respond to that when people say that?^^^ today I was typing up a paper in school and the kid next to me looked at me and told me I wasted my money when he asked how much paid for it...like I love it but i didn't know how to respond.

My response is, "That's what people say when they can't afford one."

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010

i feel as when people criticize what you spend your money on is just because they are jealous. all my friends say that about my iphone 4 but they are stuck with cheap flip phones.

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA

My favorite response I've seen is:

"Yup! And a swimming pool is just a giant hot tub!"

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
i feel as when people criticize what you spend your money on is just because they are jealous. all my friends say that about my iphone 4 but they are stuck with cheap flip phones.

You'll find many of them are stuck not because of a contract or lack of finances, but because they constantly long for the newest and best, and when it comes out (e.g. the iPhone) they will wait off from buying one because "something even better MUST be just around the corner". You'd be surprised how many people will not buy something because of the fear that it will be superseeded shortly after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.