It's just an iPod!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WB2Colorado, Sep 9, 2008.

1. WB2Colorado macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

I don't see why people want to get a new iPod touch yet when there are only a few new features and most of them are minor changes to it's outside. In my opinion, they are making it look too much like the iPhone. I mean, I know that it is the iPhone with out a SIM card, but still, it's just an iPod and I think that Apple did the right thing not adding GPS to it, after all if people want GPS, they they probably will want the iPhone anyway.

I'm sorry that this is a rant but I just had to make my point. But really, it's just an iPod.

Who agrees with me?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Exactly. It is dumb to expect more from the iPod line.

TEG

3. Tragedies macrumors 6502

I agree, and to be honest, nothing much has changed to the touch lineup. Yes, two or three new fatures, but otherwise it's the same as the old. You're better off buying a new touch 1G and saving 200 dollars. No external volume or speaker, but you save 200 bucks.

Just an opinion.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Its not Just an iPod.

It can surf the web, play video's, play games, send and recieve email, sync calendars and contacts with your PC.

It is far more a PDA than an MP4 Player.

5. swruler9284 macrumors newbie

the problem is some people don't want/can't go on the at&t network so the iphone is not for everyone.

6. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

My firm won't support the iPhone, but they will give me a blackberry and $30 per month unlimited voicecalls. So it doesn't make sense for me to get the iPhone when I'd still have to carry my blackberry and it would raise my monthly cost by $50. But, I'd love to have some of the features in the iTouch available to me, so it looks like a nice compromise.

7. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Not sure how you'd save A$200 by buying a new 1st gen touch. Didn't the new models pretty much shift down a price point, so that the 16 GB unit now costs about what the 8 GB unit used to? I supposed if you buy a 1st gen 16 GB refurb right now you'd save A$30 over the cost of a new 2nd gen 16 GB model. :confused:

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so what do you want? data service for free? seriously

the only thing really that differentiates the iphone from ipt is that it has

1) bluetooth and crippled at that
    2) gps (which the old iphone doesnt have)
    3) mic (why does an ipt need a mic?)
    4) camera which is really the only iffy one the ipt maybe should have but then again, its not that big of a deal as a) all phones have cameras hence why on iphone. b) no ipod has a camera
    5) phone and data service

9. mpshay macrumors 6502

I think the new touch is going to be on my shopping list. The speaker will certainly make using some of the apps a lot easier.Don't always feel like wearing headphones all the time! And I jog frequently enough to get plenty of use out of the Nike+ feature (hate Nike shoes, but the Nike+ software & transmitter do what I want!)

GPS and/or camera would have been cool but not sure I would have used them enough to justify the increased proces they would have commanded.

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

People will want to get the new Touch that don't want/need an At&T cell phone, but do want the best touchscreen media player/PDA/Pocket Game Player out there. They'll buy the new one over the old one because of the volume controls, speaker and potential of remote control over the headphone cable. It helps that today a 16gb can be bought for what an 8gb sold for yesterday.

Right thing? I wanted GPS and had no interest in an iPhone. The iPhone's GPS is crippled for navigation anyway. It would have been a $5 chip that would have meant far more sales of new Touches to consumers.

So count me as one who doesn't agree with you. The Touch is NOT just an iPod.

11. stuckinMT macrumors newbie

touch or phone as PDA

So I live in the boonies where AT&T doesn't work, and am replacing my PDA. I was going to get the ipod touch, but like the camera option of the phone(and am surprised it is the same price). Which would be better as a PDA the touch or phone without phone service (I usually use wifi)

12. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

2nd gen iPod Touch has a mic.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

does it or just that there are headphones that have it that the touch can utilze?

14. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I think it's in the headphones, but I hope it's built-in.

15. slidetounlock macrumors regular

No its not built in, or it'd be the iPhone. Its in the headset.

PS waiting for the new touch buyers to complain hows low the speaker is like use iphone users(1gen)

16. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

PSP is just a gaming device yet it has a gps addon, mic for skype, camera addon
    Cell phones use to be just phones now look at the stuff they can do
    Archos PMP has gps addon too
    Cowon has gps addon, bluetooth, flash support

So how is it so far fetched to expect the ipod touch to have these things too?

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

because apple has a product out there with all those capabilities maybe?

18. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

that product also requires a 2-year contract and would come out to thousands of dollars to own.

19. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I agree. It's an iPod on steroids. Web, email, apps, etc. is not an iPod in the iPod sense.

20. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Exactly. It's dumb to expect an iPod with a web browser. If you want that, buy an iPhone.

It's dumb to expect an iPod with a push email client. If you want that, buy an iPhone.

It's dumb to expect an iPod with Google Maps. If you want that, buy an iPhone.

It's dumb to expect an iPod with You Tube. If you want that, buy an iPhone.

It's dumb to expect an iPod with Nike+ built-in. If you want that, buy the accessory.

Oops.

21. njguyfla macrumors member

It's much more than an Ipod.

Even if it were only an Ipod the controls are amazing.

My 60 gig video Ipod is only a $400 paper weight.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Isn't the headset an optional purchase for $79?

23. tonie macrumors 6502

it's for apple dummies that will fall into it, what can you expect from them?

24. stuckinMT macrumors newbie

It's not an ipod

the issue is it is not an ipod. Yes they did a dumb naming thing (probably because the ipods sell so well) . I have an ipod, and no urge to upgrade it. The touch is a perfect little PDA (I do wish it had the camera and even gps though). Not all of us like/want cell phones. We have them, we don't like AT&T - all sorts of reasons the iphone is not right for us. So they screwed up the marketing, but made a great product.

25. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

I'm in agreement with this. The last pda I had was a dell Axim X30 high which could pack a powerful punch, but I sold it a year ago because it just didn't mesh well with my Mac work needs. Having the new 2nd gen Touch is a almost a relief--had no idea how much I missed the functionality of a pda while sitting in a doctor's office, etc. Around here we have so many wireless access points that it just made sense to get another pda-like tool.