Its my time to upgrade to Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bruleke, Nov 22, 2011.

1. bruleke, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Or should I say "downgrade" to Lion? - just a question, since so many people are complaining about it.

Well, I just want some advices. Anyone?

Since I have this macbook pro (same year, same specs, same graphic board/adapter), this is my only concern. :(:(:(

I will install using a flash drive (clean install) and keep my SL DVD beside my laptop. If ANYTHING annoys me, I wont hesitate to return to SL. :cool:

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You want a fail save method do what I did. I cloned to a bootable drive before the upgrade so If i decide to go back just swop the drive out.

3. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Nice tip, nebo1ss! ;)

But I will install SL in case anything goes wrong! My chance to clean up my system eheh!
    Also today I am not working nor studying, I have time ahaha :p

4. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

What the heck?
    Why so many negative votes for my topic??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Its just a question, people! Tell me whats wrong with it! :eek::eek:

5. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Don't pay attention to the votes here. It's BS.

6. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Best advice ever ehehe!
    I am not a teenager - been there a long time ago ehehe - but I do believe that angry teenagers spend a lot of time on the internet just looking for things to give negative votes.

Anyway, backing to my topic: I am backing my data up into my WD 1tb Studio.

7. eternalife macrumors regular

If I took a guess I would have to say this statement:

Or should I say "downgrade" to Lion

Coming with a legit question is one thing but approaching it with that attitude will lose some people (even if it is a common statement on this forum). If you yourself (based on all your research and reading about Lion) consider it a downgrade why would you go there? If you don't why would you even mention it?

8. bruleke, Nov 22, 2011

bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

IT WAS JUST A QUESTION, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
    Dont I have the right to not know everything and ask people about that?? Should I born smart already?

So, you feel angry because of my question?
    Are you Apple's CEO, CFO or what?

I thought I had the right to express my questions like everybody else in this forum.

Also, I didnt know I had to feel happy for everything Apple does.

Sorry about that. Next time I promise I will consult you. Please, dont tell Tim Cook.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

OP, you have the right to ask whatever you want. When you ask something from a negative standpoint like that, however, you're bound to get people who won't like the tone. I personally try to always ask questions more directly ("Are there any issues I need to be aware of?" would have been a better way to put that probably). Getting angry about it now probably isn't helping. Overall, this is a civil forum with polite discussion, and while your post wasn't really out of bounds, it definitely is more likely to spark angry discussion than bring in real help with your questions. It's just a matter of phrasing things differently to get a good response. Can't say I'm always great at it either, so don't take this as an attack.

jW

10. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Say what?

I think you are getting toasted here on ratings because of a perceived attitude. That along with the way you phrase some things kind of awkwardly.

On your migration to Lion just make sure you have a clear backup plan and a way to get back to where you came from "just in case".

Good luck and so far Lion has been just fine for me on my macbook air.

11. eternalife, Nov 22, 2011

eternalife macrumors regular

Dude - chill! YOU ASKED the question about why you are getting toasted. I responded with my thoughts on why. I wasn't taken back by your question nor am I pissed off or angry at you. You certainly have the right to express your questions however you like. And if that is the case people have the right to respond however they want. Just don't get so freaked out or offended if people don't like the way you do it. There are some very smart people on this forum and some, well, not so much. How you phrase your question will determine who you attract.

Life lesson: Don't let people rent space in your head.

12. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

What Macbook do you have? The link in the OP doesn't work.

13. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Done.

Installed Lion.
    Some bugs!

-Fans that spin the whole time at 5,600 rpm while using Skype and Chrome (without flash or anything heavy);
    -Made my macbook pro slow;
    -Many apps crashed (Skype, Office 2011; Mail; iTunes);
    -battery lasting less than 2 hours (vs 5 hours in SL).

Well, I'm back to SL. I just cant stand these bugs.

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy......:rolleyes:

S-

15. lotones macrumors regular

Did you repair permissions after the install? Makes a BIG difference...

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

So you tried it for less than a day before you downgraded again? What a waste of time. There are solutions for a lot of what you call "bugs."

1) I believe Skype and Chrome both force the MBP to use discrete graphics instead of integrated. If you grabbed the GFXstatus app you could check and switch it back to integrated. That should let your fans spin slower.

2) Did you even let it finish indexing? What do you mean by "made it slow"...you gave no details.

3) Did you make sure you had the most recent updates to all your apps? Did you even try to figure out why they crashed?

4) What were you doing when it said your battery would last less than 2 hours? You probably should do a battery calibration, etc.

And as lotones said, you should always repair permissions. It can fix a lot of common problems. Honestly, it kinda sounds like you went into all of this expecting Lion to not work well, and so you didn't even give it a fair shot. Doesn't matter the slightest to me, but you probably should have just saved yourself some time and stayed on Snow Leopard to begin with.

17. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Thank you!

Can some moderator close this thread, please?

18. dyn macrumors 68030

Yes, the big difference of making absolutely no difference at all. It helps if you understand how the setup and things like that work. One of the things they do are a repair permissions. Voila!

In most cases repairing permissions does absolutely nothing. It only repairs the permissions of OS X that it nows. Your own files, your own software such as Skype won't be repaired at all. In his case this would have done yet again absolutely nothing and again: know what it does before you recommend it to someone!

In case you upgrade the OS it will have to re-index spotlight and some applications need updating. It is best to update every piece of software (application, driver, OS X) before you even start the upgrade. Next thing is to make a backup. And only after you've done that successfully you start the upgrade process. Wait for a couple of days after upgrading so things can settle down. The new OS needs to rebuild lots of caches and indexes (like spotlight). This takes computing power which will result in higher cpu temperature -> higher fan rpm and less battery time. After that period things will return to normal.

Btw, any kind of post voting system is a complete laugh because it doesn't work since people will release their innerchild on it (aka downvote because it is "fun").

19. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Dang man ... it is tough around here when people start voting down a simple and polite enough request to close a thread.

20. bruleke, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011

bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Yes, thanks for that!

It seems like I cant 'dislike' Lion! I "must" love the system and if it has something wrong, its MY fault, never Lion's fault. If you check other threads, the answers are always the same: these children attacking people who dont like Lion.

I'm done with this discussion. Actually, every post that someone starts complaining about Lion receives tons of other CHILDREN voting negative or starting a fight.

Ah, come on! Im not a child, not even a teenager! If its not working, I simply wont use and return to Snow Leopard! Simple like that!

21. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Dude, how can faceless posters and words on a computer screen rile you up so much?

It's just the interwebz. :)

22. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

If you are not actively trying to be funny and you post stuff like this without working at it ... wow!

23. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

That's the spirit! :)

24. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I wasn't trying to attack you. It's true that upgrading to Lion hasn't been very smooth for some people. But you also can't always live in the past; eventually you have to move on. I was trying to provide you with information to explain WHY you might be having some of the problems you were having. No operating system is going to work perfectly from the moment you install it. Upgrading programs, waiting for spotlight to finish indexing...those are simple things that you could do to make the upgrade easier. If you don't want to invest the time in it, that's fine.

One of the reasons I responded was to try to help. The other is that I don't want other people reading your post to assume that these are problems with Lion that can't be fixed. People look to these forums for help, and reading you basically saying the bugs were so bad that you couldn't stand it for more than 10 hours or so is going to scare some people off from upgrading, and it shouldn't be that way.

You don't have to like Lion. It does have some valid problems, but they're generally not the ones you listed. I just don't want other people to be misinformed about the OS and thinking they shouldn't upgrade because it has all these "bugs."

25. lotones macrumors regular

I've installed Lion twice, on two iMacs. Both times it was super buggy, for days, until I repaired permissions.

ymmv