Its never a bad time to buy a macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wreckus, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Must be August since there's new threads on when the new Macbook Pro will be out, should I yet, etc, etc, etc.

Lets gets it clear right now; No one know when Apple will announce or release the new Macbook Pro's. The only people who know is Apple themselves as they probably have a "roadmap" on new products.

Second, It is never a bad time to buy a macbook pro. MacBooks (Pros, Air's, etc) have a long lifespan and it will be supported with future versions of OS X for years to come and it will work great.

Third, You don't need the latest & greats, and you never will have it. Rule 1 of buying tech is simple, you will never have the latest & greatest. There's something new around the corner all the time. You will just give yourself stress or other health issues if you try to get the latest & greatest.

Fourth, figure out what you need now, not what you want in the future macbook. Only Apple knows what will be in the next version of the Macbook pro, no one else does. My advice is simple, sit down and figure out what you will be using your mac for. I bet the current macbook pro will do just fine for you and you have no reason to wait for the new one.

Fifth, Intel isn't stopping at Skylake. there will be newer processors in the future. So why wait, if you need macbook pro for school now? then get it. If you need to replace your old macbook, then buy it. Sure, skylake is great, but Haswell (like I got) or broadwell are still great processors.

Finally, Do not let anyone decide for you what macbook you should buy. You need to figure that out for your self. No one on these forums or on the web should decide for you.

I bought my mid 2014 macbook pro (haswell) in Late January. I was replacing another laptop btw. At that time, new MBA were in the rumours but no MBP. March comes around and Broadwell MBP are announced, bummer. Sure, I was disappointed; however, by that time, I was having a blast with my macbook pro and I didn't care about the newer model.

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

All that said, clearly spending full price on something that is then replaced in a few weeks is a valid concern for the general public. If all things were equal clearly people would naturally go for the new processor or faster whatever... Those that don't care i'd wager are in the minority. People like to think they have the latest and greatest and the purchase represents value for money.

3. Wreckus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

IMO, people need to forget about getting the latest & greatest as its futile to do.

Look at the iPhone this year, you will buy the iPhone 6s but you already know the iPhone 7 will be out next year. Will it stop you from buying the iPhone 6s knowing this? I doubt it.

Also, will skylake cpus help you enter documents or spreadsheets faster or surf the net faster than current macbooks? doubt it. Maybe with Photo/video editing and gaming, but thats about it IMO.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I figure if you can wait why not wait. That is what I am going to do for the upcoming iMac 27" refresh.

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

This breaks the "no one know when Apple will announce or release the new Macbook Pro's" but the concept that new MBPs are coming in "weeks" is overly optimistic. At best we are likely months away, it could be October but that is only if Intel gets around to announcing the appropriate chips for them. Something Intel has yet to do.

Edit: On another note, this thread should almost be sticked and all questions about when "new" MacBook Pros are coming out merged into it.

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Thats not what i said, i don't know 'when', but thats peoples general fear.. it will be replaced very soon with the latest intel products. Do people "need" that power - I'm sure very few do, but i didnt buy a super car to drive at 200mph, i bought it because it can be driven at 200mph...!

Thats not really the same, your analogy should have been iPhone 6 and the next phone.... and will it stop you buying an iPhone 6 now. The answer for many people is yes. However this period offers those on tighter budgets the chance to get the hardware without the apple silly premium...

I'm personally 50/50 on if i will get another iPhone or move to Samsung.. the apple software is simply having too many bugs and problems for my liking these days.

The release cycles are pretty well known, unless you need to get a phone now, don't - wait and see what Sept brings. If you dont need a laptop now, don't wait and see what Oct brings... All common sense really.

7. VesselA macrumors regular

wrong, buying a non retina macbook pro a few months before the retina came out would have been a bad time to buy a macbook pro

8. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Really, take a pill and chillax - who asked for your opinion - why did you feel the need to chirp in with this verbal diatribe?

9. Ries macrumors 68000

Skylake is most likely going to be a technology leap, like pre-2012 models don't get hand-off and so on. Wait or you will regret it, buying now would be like buying the iPhone 6 today. Don't be like OP and get stuck with the inferior model.

10. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Not if you wanted a non retina macbook pro. One that you can upgrade. Retina screens highly overrated. I love my Non Retina MacBook Pro

11. bigjoe87865, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I can't go back to non-retina. It's one of my favorite parts of my rMBP.

13. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

I was ready to buy the 2015 15" MBP. But, when Apple decided to release it with an older CPU, I felt ripped off paying $2,500 for yesterday's technology. I began to think "what if Skylake IS a huge change - eliminating the Thunderbolt technology, USB C, new form factor - replacing the existing 7 year old design?

For me, (I keep my stuff for years) buying toward the very end of a technology cycle doesn't make sense. So, yes there's most definitely a bad time to buy a MacBook.

I have no idea whether or not we're on the verge of a major design change. But, I've read enough to make me think that the risk reward ratio is tipped in favor of "wait and see."

14. Fthree macrumors 6502a

If you can afford to wait then it is never the right time to buy IMO. Think about it.... why do people typically buy these high power machines? to utilize them now and get the value out of them. You will be waiting forever if you have that attitude because while yes there may be a design change if you wait but does the design REALLY hold that much water when it comes to things you need to get done now?

BTW- i did buy a 2015 15, I was thinking along the lines of the other posters when it came to skylake but then i thought about it and figured why sit on old tech when i can utilize the newer stuff NOW? after skylake something else will be better and all that wasted time will.........

15. ThisOldMacHead macrumors member

I for one, agree with this 100%.

People are expecting Skylake to be this quantum leap in computing... While everything I've read so far says it's a pretty "meh" bump. Yes, it's going to pack "support" for X, Y, & Z, but what difference does it make when Apple only implements Z?

And so what if it's redesigned (which if it is, it won't be drastic)? Is your life somehow diminished with the "old" design? Cut me a break... And what happens if Skylake MBP's are nothing to write home about? Are you going to wait for the version after that?

Bottom line... If you're using anything prior to say - a 2011 and you need a new machin, a 2015 model will be a drastic upgrade. So yes... There is indeed, never a bad time to buy. Macs are tools, not toys. You buy what you need when you need it. It's still going to work just fine when the next model lands...

16. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Agreed! Going from a 2011 to even a 2014 would be like going from the iPhone 4 to the 6.

17. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I agree. I also keep my devices (laptops, phones, tablets) for 3'ish years, and therefore I am always conscious to buy in when new technology/design leaps are introduced.

For example: I dragged my iphone 4 for years all the way until I replaced it for the iphone 6 (I skipped the iphone 5 era altogether). In the same way, I've been carrying my 2012 laptop for years until I replace it for skylake.

In short: for people who don't update their hardware every 1 or 2 years, buying at the end of a technology cycle (just as right now) is a really bad idea.

18. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Why EXACTLY is it a really bad idea?

19. Sully, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

Sully macrumors regular

Sully

Feel free to spend significant money on old technology if you like. I understand the some folks might be happy with anything Apple decides to put out - as long as it's the latest model and it does what they want it to do.

I'm only speaking for myself. And, like I said, putting an older generation CPU in a $2,500 flagship machine doesn't seem like a good value to me. Rather, it seems like Apple forcing a release to keep up with their upgrade cycle. In addition to specs, I need to feel like I've gotten value for my money spent. And, this upgrade didn't offer what I wanted.

So, while I'm happy to "cut you a break," you might also "cut me and others like me a break" for wanting the latest technology when paying the "Apple Premium" for a computer to do work that any commodity computer will do almost as well.

edited to address TechZeke's comment. thanks for clarifying.

20. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I agree and disagree. One of the reasons why the Macrumor's buyer's guide is famous is that it's not hard to pay $2000 for a MBP then have Apple release a new model a few months later.

Yes, performance wise, someone with a Haswell machine has zero reason to fret over a new Broadwell machine. However, there are other improvements you may miss out on. What about the poor souls who bought a base late-2013 13" rMBP with 4GB of RAM last May only to have Apple release the mid-2014 two months later with 8GB Standard for the same price?

If we're mid product cycle, should someone wait and fret over a mythical Skylake update? Probably not, I would just buy now. If we're a month or so away from the end of the usual product cycle? I'd total wait.

21. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Apple can't win. Intel hasn't shipped any Broadwell Iris Pro CPUs, which is what the MBP relies on. People were already complaining about the lack of force touch and the need for a GPU update.

Also, the CPU itself is only a year old, and the architecture 2 years old.

22. ThisOldMacHead macrumors member

People tend to confuse "need" and "want." If you can afford to wait for the next iteration because your current machine is still providing usable service, then you are inherently not in "need" of a new machine. And for those in actual need, I've never met a single person who framed a computer purchase within the context of a Shakespearean tragedy.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, modern Macs - especially portables, are historically cheaper than they've ever been. $2000-2500 for Apple's flagship portable? That's nothing. Back in the 90's, when I bought my barely used 5300ce for more than the 1400 that replaced it six months later, I didn't blink an eye. These were the days when new PowerBooks cost 2-3x that they are today and living wages were far less. Did I have buyers remorse? Nope... I needed a portable, it was still the fastest machine I owned, and it did the job required.

23. Fthree macrumors 6502a

i have yet to hear a single monumental reason why to wait for skylake.

24. professional445 macrumors member

not sure if its same in the US but in the UK cars have registration plates with the year on them (part of the reg number includes the year)

when people buy a brand new car they like the fact that it has the current year on the plate, usually because they want to show off the fact that they have a brand new car. they do this even though they will be keeping the car for many years

this is similar to wanting the latest and greatest macbook but even less justified as cars are not usually updated every year anyway!

it is just a psychological thing and applies to many purchases

25. nStyle macrumors 65816

I chuckle a bit when people refer to the graphical improvements of Skylake.

(It's still integrated graphics, lol)

At this point, I do think it is worth waiting since USB-C is around the corner on all of Apple's laptops as well as some very likely design tweaks (color options, etc...) OP, sounds like you're just trying to justify your purchase, which is fine, but not really helpful.

I only agree with you on a professional level. If you make money using your machine and you NEED what is currently available, there's no reason not to go for it. If, however, you're an amateur like the vast majority here then I believe there are certainly some compelling reasons at this point to wait considering the impending design changes.