It's official...23" ACD is discontinued!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stovetop6872, Nov 12, 2008.

1. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Attached Files:

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

3. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Finally. Hopefully the refurbs will be a bit cheaper now. It strikes me how Apple is going to make a display exclusively for 3 notebooks. It's completely ignoring their desktop lineup. Maybe the new Mac Pro's will have a display port, but then you'll have an extra cable coming out of the display that's useless (the magsafe).

4. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Hah, guess mine is worthless now and I should toss it in the dumpster.

Which reminds me, why is there no LOL emoticon for this forum? :D

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

Their 'desktop' line consists of the Mini, for which most people wouldn't buy an Apple display anyway (BYOKDM), the iMac which already has a display, and the Mac Pro - of which has the right to be pissed off.

The Mac Pro is (probably) a tiny segment of their market.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

But would it be so hard for Apple to include a DVI port to satisfy the rest of the Mac lineup, and even provide support for PC's? Most people I know who have ACD's have them connected to Mac Pro's. I really don't think many Macbook users buy $900 displays to go with it.

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I'm expecting to see new 20, 24 and 30" desktop screens at MWSF, with the 20 and 24" being LED and possibly the 30", depending if the panels are available. I guess the 23" has been discontinued as Apple have run out of stock, and the others will follow as time goes by.

The new ones will probably have a full-size DisplayPort for new Mac Pros and iMacs (though they may be mini-DP with adapter), with no MagSafe adapter. We'll end up with four displays, 20", two 24"ers and a 30". Seeing as DP is becoming standard on PCs as well, plus adapters are around to convert to DVI, it isn't a big stretch.

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Or they can sell/ship a different cable without the magsafe. Or even one that has a DVI-Displayport converter on it.

9. ipodrocker macrumors member

ipodrocker

this is just stupid, I am one customer was in the process of buying a 23'' display this week as I have a macbook pro with dvi port and wanted to get a display to work with. now what the heck do I do!!

I know i will not be the only one in this situation, I wish In ireland they announced sale of the current stock of displays as I would happliy get one asap!

10. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Head to your local Apple Store. I'm sure they still have stock.

11. stovetop6872 thread starter macrumors regular

Good advice. They can't ALL be out. I'm sure that they will be clearing stock for new models.

12. sananda macrumors 68020

i picked one up this evening.

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

The Mac Pro's aint gonna get display ports on their graphics card or add it to the I/O ports on the back. hopefully Apple will release a 30" version with DVI.

14. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Let's hope not, and at the same time not follow the new LED display's design.

I would definitely drop the cash for a 2nd display if it used dvi, and kept the same design as the silver ACDs but adding the iSight, and if at all possible, 30" LED matte.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

QFT

Honestly, the new 24" isn't anything I'd want to use.

16. stovetop6872 thread starter macrumors regular

Uhhhg....They should've made the display compatible for everything. Now people are locked into the property connector and everyone has to go buy the latest and greatest adapter just to use an external display!

17. dal20402 macrumors 6502

I'm sure the next revision of Mac Pros will ship with DisplayPort of some nature. I don't know whether it will be full-sized or mini. DisplayPort is the way of the future. DVI is dying.

I'm amazed that neither Apple nor anyone else is yet selling a mini DisplayPort to full-sized DisplayPort adapter, though.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Mother frigger.

Looks like I'll be buying a 23 off eBay then. :mad:

Looks like no more matte once they update the others.

19. California macrumors 68040

California

As with my new al MB, I'm asking about the new LED displays...

... where's the Firewire?

So made the decision yesterday to keep my still under Applecare until 2010 23" ACD.

20. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I don't understand why Apple have discontinued the 23" ACD when the 24" LED screen can only be used with Macbooks/Pros...What about the people with Mac Pros/Imacs/Minis. etc...Apple have left themselves a huge hole because alot of people see 20" as too small and 30" as too big so now people are going to be looking elsewhere.

21. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

WTF!?!?!!?
    23" are perfect for dualing.
    because the 20" are too small and 30" are to $$$. and the new 24" are bad for editing.
    sh*t. i planned on getting one but i cant afford it at this time.

Macworld better give us new 23" or 24" screens that are decent for photo editing unlike those new monitors they made.

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

Don't worry, they won't leave this gap for long. It's like the iPhone getting discontinued before the 3G was available. They are out, they aren't making more, and they have discontinued it. New ones, coming soon.

23. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Face it, glassy-glossy-crap Apple displays only by 01/2009. :(

Get an Eizo or something, better quality and 5 years warranty standard rules anyway. ;)

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Amen, Amen, and Amen.

I am still waiting and hoping that Apple does give us a Pro Cinema Display, and once that happens or doesn't I will know where to go. Either way though, if they rip FW off of the casing I would just grab a LaCie or NEC since they actually give what I want at around the same price if not a little more with a better warranty and newer tech.

Just for the record:

Apple killed the Xserve RAID
    Apple killed Matte displays across the board
    Apple killed the PRO ACDs
    Apple skimped on the Xserve update
    Apple skimped on the DVD Studio Pro update
    Apple skimped on the MacBook Pro update

25. kenned macrumors member

Didn't SJ say they would move to Displayport for all their products? :confused: