It's official...NO Flash in the iPhone in the foreseeable future

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christall109, Mar 4, 2008.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Macrumors has seemed to have missed a very relevant comment at the shareholders meeting about Flash on the iPhone.

Via cnet.com

Too bad...

2. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

It doesn't matter..... we're all in denial anyway.

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

"Too bad..." ...or not even, depending how much you enjoy ads

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

What's with Flash performing so horribly on anything Apple related?

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Translation from Job-ese: "Adobe sucks, we can't bend them to my will"

6. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I've actually grown fond of not having flash. We get our own special version of YouTube. I do wish sites like hulu.com would have an iPhone optimized sight. However, since NBC & Apple no longer get along...that may be like trying to get to the moon by climbing a tree.

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

My thoughts exactly. The only sites I really want flash for are free video sites like hulu or Allsp.

8. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I had a short lunch the other day and wanted to pre-order some burritos from Chipotle.com - No luck, their site is flash only.

Other than that, I've never missed flash on my iPhone.

I think sites like Chipotle should cease with the dependance on flash. In Chipotle's case, it's annoying, not useful - in fact, it hinders the use of their website.

9. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

The lack of flash has not impacted my iphone browsing much at all.

In cases where there is only flash to navigate, I will simply let the powers that be know.

Otherwise no biggy. Plenty of video alternatives out there, and in the long-run flash is not going to be the dominant player.

10. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

There are things I would much rather see on an iPhone than Flash. A couple hundred things, actually.

Would be nice to see some sort of REAL development on the iPhone though. I mean, international keyboards rock and all... but in almost a year, that is the biggest improvement Apple can push out? I am VERY disappointed in any REAL lack of progress on the iPhone.

11. darkblu macrumors regular

pretty much my sentiments. flash has three major applications: streaming media, games and ads. while i would not mind at all the former two, the latter one is among the top two major internet problems for me, together with email spam. and for streaming media i use itransmogrify, so it's just the games i'm missing.

as about those sites who try to be 'interactive' at the expense of my desktop CPU watts - it's either 'html version' or bust.

12. specops macrumors regular

THIS IS CRAP. all i want is flash video! i dont care about the flash sites and their flash spam.

no flash video on the iphone = EPIC FAILLLL

I'm also getting upset having to wait a year for them to finally release the SDK and then allow for people to upload them to itunes so i can finally use the apps.

13. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I just want flash video to work. This should be possible once the sdk is out. You can already play these files with VLC or Perian, so playing them on the iPhone with one of these apps is just the next step.

Full flash player on iPhone = stupid. Lets worry about copy/paste support first.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm trying to think of something useful off the top of my head that is made with Flash. Most of the time, it's just some poo-poo Web site that thinks a bunch of spinning circles and music makes up for having crap content (the Star Wars prequels of the Internet). Most the stuff I check is plain ol' Web sites made with HTML.

FWIW, if Flash was put on there tomorrow, the same people bickering about it would find something else that a $3000 Mac Pro has on it but isn't on the iPhone to complain about. "What...no Blu-ray drive on the iPhone?!?!?!?!"

15. zetsurin macrumors regular

I would take Java anyday over Flash, even if it was slow. Bring on a Java implementation I say. Flash is used for adverts or video sharing sites and we already have a great way of accessing the best example of the latter.

16. HotblackDesiato macrumors member

Being upset by a device?

Easy solution. Sell it and buy something that better meets your needs.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Wait...

If there's no Flash plug-in the iPhone... how on earth you folks view YouTube
    videos on both the iPhone and the iTouch? :confused: I dunno about you people but I'm pretty sure YouTube relies on Flash for it's video streaming community.

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

YT re-encode everything to H.264 specifically for Apple.

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well... IF Flash was a important aspect to the iPhone's well being, Apple might invest extra funds into Adobe, which might help to pursued them to create a suitable plug-in. I think at present there's no other device that needs such a plug-in and the iPhone market share is still very small, even though it's loved by so many.

20. wizard macrumors 68040

Have you considered E-Mailing the web master and the CEO? Of course you have to do so in a rational reasoned manner but who knows you might get them to modernize.

Dave

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then AT&T needs to have a non-flash based website for viewmyimages.com. AFAIK it's flash. Those morons!

22. Shap macrumors member

That's just stupid. Sounds more like an company ruffle more than any real reason to not add flash to the iphone.

Flash has taken over the entire internet for streaming video files, without flash its pretty hard to say we have a 'real' web browser. I guess you could, but you'd have to call it a real incomplete web browser. Total BS. You know how much more video we could put on the iPhone if we had a built in flash player?

The lack of flash is just stupid and steve jobs made a horrible statement in my opinion. If we didn't have .mp4 shoved down our throats flash files could literally triple our movie capacity with damn near same video quality. Makes me wonder how Apple has been able to maintain the 'free and different' company image they have for so long. Everything they do is 'our way only'.

23. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Good Luck :rolleyes:http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/05/steve_jobs_pans_flash_on_the_iphone.html

24. hanshoff22 macrumors newbie

Flash videos broken on old Macs

True -- it seems like Flash video is broken on my iMac G5 ... is that possible? Flash videos on Youtube are stuttering / jumpy / jerky (Though it's fine on my Intel iMac) Anyone have any tips for fixing the problem on iMac G5?

25. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

...What? H.264 is more efficient (better quality at the same bitrates) than the Sorenson Spark or On2 TrueVideo VP6 codecs typically used by .flv Flash Videos. So, no, we couldn't, because H.264 is a better codec (which is why Adobe added support for it in the latest Flash Player).