it's probably been asked to death, but...

daddyto9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
can anyone offer advice/opinion on this: I bought an iPhone 4S off of craigslist. I can't get past the activation screens to JB it. it's verizon and i'd like to use t-mobile. I've posted before but i'm curious if there has been any updates?

htownmade1984

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2010
can anyone offer advice/opinion on this: I bought an iPhone 4S off of craigslist. I can't get past the activation screens to JB it. it's verizon and i'd like to use t-mobile. I've posted before but i'm curious if there has been any updates?

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL

Norinion

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
There is no unlock for the 4S yet. You have an expensive iPod Touch for now. Worry about activation after an unlock is available.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Your best bet is to call Verizon and see if they will unlock it, if not you'll have to wait till an unlock comes out.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

TSX said:
Your best bet is to call Verizon and see if they will unlock it, if not you'll have to wait till an unlock comes out.
Even if Verizon unlocks it he can still only use it overseas. They will not unlock it to be used on AT&T or tmobile.

daddyto9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Like I said, it probably been asked to death. I'm not regretting buying it, mostly because my main phone is an iPhone 4. I only paid $175, but it'll be fun to play with it (once the Hacktivation comes out) but to answer the question, I think people will stop asking this, once there's a clear and definitive answer.

I have done some research, and decided to buy this 4S, after all the buzz about the (then upcoming) JB.

It is a paperweight as of right now, but it's a beautiful paperweight!

Here's to the patient ones!

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Like I said, it probably been asked to death. I'm not regretting buying it, mostly because my main phone is an iPhone 4. I only paid $175, but it'll be fun to play with it (once the Hacktivation comes out) but to answer the question, I think people will stop asking this, once there's a clear and definitive answer.

I have done some research, and decided to buy this 4S, after all the buzz about the (then upcoming) JB.

$175 for a 4S off craigslist? Did you even check to make sure the phone works? Really doubt that anyone would be dumb enough to sell a working 4S for that cheap.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit

take it to Verizon see if it can even be activated $175 thinking you bought a hot phone or somebody stopped paying there bill and they deactivated. Last in your research that you did I think you left out the the unlock part. Jailbreak and unlock are different. ;)

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah, I'd bet bad ESN, which means you won't even be able to get Verizon to unlock it to sell overseas or in Canada. But at $175, it's worth it, because an iPod Touch is $200, and doesn't have the microphone, speaker, or Siri.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think MetroPCS might activate it in the areas that they use PCS.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer

$175 off craigslist...??? C'mon, be reasonable.. Who would sell a 4s for that low unless there wasn't something SERIOUSLY wrong with it. Are you sure its even fully functional?

daddyto9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
yup! the box came wrapped as if it were fresh off the shelf, I knew that the jailbreak and the unlock and the hactivation are all different, but i figured that if all I can do is have a nicer ipod touch, what the heck. I don't know if the whatever numbers are bad, but i took it to a verizon store and after the sales lady pitched me to death about a plan, i was able to stick a store sim in it and now it's been activated (at least past the welcome screens) it now says invalid sim, but im at the point where I can jailbreak it! let's see what happens...

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
yup! the box came wrapped as if it were fresh off the shelf, I knew that the jailbreak and the unlock and the hactivation are all different, but i figured that if all I can do is have a nicer ipod touch, what the heck. I don't know if the whatever numbers are bad, but i took it to a verizon store and after the sales lady pitched me to death about a plan, i was able to stick a store sim in it and now it's been activated (at least past the welcome screens) it now says invalid sim, but im at the point where I can jailbreak it! let's see what happens...
You had me going until "I was able to stick a store sim in it and now its been activated". Verizon activation is not "sticking sim in" thats for GSM. Verizon has to be activated by adding IMIE to your account. Good story though

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Verizon or CDMA networks don't use sims . This is sounding more and more fishey. I smell bs well thread starter said he's happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.