it's probably been asked to death, but...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by daddyto9, Jan 24, 2012.

1. daddyto9 macrumors newbie

can anyone offer advice/opinion on this: I bought an iPhone 4S off of craigslist. I can't get past the activation screens to JB it. it's verizon and i'd like to use t-mobile. I've posted before but i'm curious if there has been any updates?

2. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

3. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

4. Norinion macrumors regular

5. b0bab0i macrumors regular

[​IMG]

6. labman, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

labman macrumors 604

labman

in life one should do research before they buy. ;) for grins what iOS is installed? 5.0 or 5.0.1

7. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

There is no unlock for the 4S yet. You have an expensive iPod Touch for now. Worry about activation after an unlock is available.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Next time do some research before you buy something that is just gonna sit on your desk as a paperweight

9. flexbrah macrumors newbie

10. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

4S has both antennas.

Yeah OP, should have done more research before buying. You're up a creek without a paddle, enjoy the iPod Touch.

11. TC25 macrumors 68020

I don't think the OP will appear again in this thread. :) Hopefully, he is out visiting his local Verizon store.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Your best bet is to call Verizon and see if they will unlock it, if not you'll have to wait till an unlock comes out.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Even if Verizon unlocks it he can still only use it overseas. They will not unlock it to be used on AT&T or tmobile.

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Om my god, when will people stop asking this?

15. daddyto9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said, it probably been asked to death. I'm not regretting buying it, mostly because my main phone is an iPhone 4. I only paid $175, but it'll be fun to play with it (once the Hacktivation comes out) but to answer the question, I think people will stop asking this, once there's a clear and definitive answer.

I have done some research, and decided to buy this 4S, after all the buzz about the (then upcoming) JB.

It is a paperweight as of right now, but it's a beautiful paperweight!

Here's to the patient ones!

16. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

$175 for a 4S off craigslist? Did you even check to make sure the phone works? Really doubt that anyone would be dumb enough to sell a working 4S for that cheap.

17. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

Maybe the seller knows less than he does?

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

take it to Verizon see if it can even be activated $175 thinking you bought a hot phone or somebody stopped paying there bill and they deactivated. Last in your research that you did I think you left out the the unlock part. Jailbreak and unlock are different. ;)

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah, I'd bet bad ESN, which means you won't even be able to get Verizon to unlock it to sell overseas or in Canada. But at $175, it's worth it, because an iPod Touch is $200, and doesn't have the microphone, speaker, or Siri.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think MetroPCS might activate it in the areas that they use PCS.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow:D
    Really, you want to use a Verizon iphone on Tmobile?:D
    And you dont regret buying it:rolleyes:

21. noiceT macrumors 6502a

$175 off craigslist...??? C'mon, be reasonable.. Who would sell a 4s for that low unless there wasn't something SERIOUSLY wrong with it. Are you sure its even fully functional?

22. daddyto9 thread starter macrumors newbie

yup! the box came wrapped as if it were fresh off the shelf, I knew that the jailbreak and the unlock and the hactivation are all different, but i figured that if all I can do is have a nicer ipod touch, what the heck. I don't know if the whatever numbers are bad, but i took it to a verizon store and after the sales lady pitched me to death about a plan, i was able to stick a store sim in it and now it's been activated (at least past the welcome screens) it now says invalid sim, but im at the point where I can jailbreak it! let's see what happens...

23. kalex macrumors 65816

You had me going until "I was able to stick a store sim in it and now its been activated". Verizon activation is not "sticking sim in" thats for GSM. Verizon has to be activated by adding IMIE to your account. Good story though

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Verizon or CDMA networks don't use sims . This is sounding more and more fishey. I smell bs well thread starter said he's happy.