It's the software that's underwhelming

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Rogifan, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So I see all over the web this common refrain than ooh the iPhone display went from 3.5" to 4" and sarcastically wondering what Apple has been doing the last year or so. But why the focus on the display size? I can't imagine it's more difficult manufacture a larger display. :confused:

Watching the product launch video there was as as much time spent on the manufacturing process as there was on the new software features. After I watched the video I came away really impressed with how the devices manufactured and the quality and precision in how these devices are made.

On the software side however, it was a big 'meh'. That's where I think Apple is being too conservative. I'm not suggesting iOS needs to be radically redesigned but some refinement of the UI would be nice. Yeah it's great Siri can give me sports scores and book reservations But how about more integration with the settings so as an example you could use Siri to turn Bluetooth on or off. Or how about the device automatically turning wifi on/off based on location? I know when I'm at work I'm usually not using the company wifi (especially if I'm, say, streaming Pandora) but anywhere outside of work I want wifi turned on. And I know widgets are a dirty word but had Apple ever discussed why they don't use them? Is it because the're a drain on the battery? Or because they think it's adding too much complexity? And how about custom skins so those of us who hate the skeumorphic design language could switch to something different? Or how about opening FaceTime up to none iOS users? When the iPhone 4 came out didn't Steve indicate that could/would be the case in the future?

Of course these are just a few things off the top of my head. For me the hardware, the look and feel of the device is drool worthy but the software is just meh. Anyone else eel that way?

2. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Oh shut up. If you dont like it don't buy it. So sick of these stupid topics. And I'm not an Apple fanboy, I just hate when people beat a dead horse.

3. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I don't get the fascination with turning off wifi and turning down the brightness from the home screen. Maybe because the 5 years I owned an iPhone, I have never done either.

In addition, widgets are useless. Even on my secondary android device I find them useless.

4. brando123b macrumors regular

If you look at iOS from a pure usability standpoint, it is excellent. The layout, the way the interface reacts to touches, slides, togges and taps is truly world class.

Many of you want Apple to refresh the entire OS because you're bored, not because the OS isn't the best out there.

Unfortunately as time goes on, people get bored with things. It works so well that you don't find it remarkable anymore. I can show you a new interface, heck, just buy an Android phone or a Blackberry. Brand new, non boring interface, yet time and time again Apple users come right back after realizing new isn't better.

Just my 2 cents.

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Well I'd like the wifi one because I turn it off when I'm at work and sometimes forget to turn it back on. It's not like a deal breaker but would be a nice feature. As far as widgets, that of course is a matter of opinion and I could go either way on them but I would like Apple to explain why they feel they're unnecessary.

6. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I will explain. They are useless because I can launch the full app that offers a far better experience in .25 seconds. Unless all your widgets are on the first screen, there is no time savings. I grew bored of widgets after 3 days.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I lived with android for 3 years...the experience was so bad, it's how I ended up with an iPhone in the first place.

When it comes to a mobile OS, iOS is the gold standard for app support, responsiveness, stability, and reliability.

If that is meh software for you, man up, and take your chances elsewhere.

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Maybe I am a bit bord with it. 5 years of rows of apps can do that to you. :)

9. PhoneI macrumors 65816

But widgets will make your phone exciting again?

10. Baldilocks macrumors member

Widgets. The much better sharing options. Etc...

While I am an iPhone fan, there are many reasons why the software is a generation or two behind Android at this point.

Here is just part 1 of 5 of a video series that explains what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw

11. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Yes.

See these: http://mycolorscreen.com/

These are done with widgets. And no rooting required.

12. PhoneI macrumors 65816

And why not just use an app? I spend all my time in my apps, not on my home screen.

13. PhoneI macrumors 65816

As someone that switched to an Android full time for over a year, I can tell you in my opinion, the iPhone is in no way behind.

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

The bottom line is this: people are buying into the iOS echosystem and love the consistnecy between their ipads, iPhone and even mac to a certain degree. So why would Apple change that now while they're still growing and adding people like crazy? I think the risk of alienating users with a radical iOS is much bigger than the risk of boring users with a consistent iOS.
    I like new things as much as the next guy, but more than that I like being able to get stuff done with my iPhone.

15. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

It seems like everyone is giving you a hard time about this, but I agree (in a sense).

I don't think necessarily that we need widgets or should be able to tune wifi and bluetooth settings directly from the homescreen but there are ways to accomplish making some tasks easier without a complete overhaul.

Why not add a wifi, bluetooth, airplane mode, etc toggle options at the top of the pull down menu (or whatever it is called) above the notifications ?

And I agree, some customization options to the GUI would be welcome (i am not talking about wallpapers, i understand we already have that). Even just a few would be great other than standard and inverted. Maybe based on all of the older and current OSX themes even?

And i agree on facetime and also think it should be the same for imessage. Make this available on all platforms. I guess I could see how they might think if facetime is available on other platforms that it might keep a potential iphone with android from switching, but i doubt imessage would. Honestly for me facetime would have no effect as I have never even used it, but I may not be the majority here. If these were available on all platforms though, i would be more inclined to use them more as it wouldnt be only between my friends and coworkers who have an iphone.

And we all have to admit, the standard row after row of just icons is getting a bit boring, and now with iphone5 we get one more row!

(edit: when I saw we, I don't include myself as I do not think I will get the iphone5 unless an iOS update adds something to the phone that I can only do on the iphone5 that i feel like i need)

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

some of those screen shots are beautiful, but they are only skin deep, on the home screen. they don't theme the phone or streamline the UI.

17. stuffradio macrumors 65816

It's funny they're all getting mad at you for your own opinion. When Apple became fascinated with Siri, which I cannot use on my iPhone 4, they stopped innovating elsewhere. Only working on Siri does not mean a whole new version # is warranted (4.x to 5). Maps is also pointless on the iPhone 4. Don't tell me just upgrade my iPhone and stop being cheap, I can't until 2014 because of my cell contract. Siri is not a compelling feature, and I don't get why everyone is enthralled with it. It is not even a standalone feature that makes people want it.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Ugh. No thank you. However, one-touch toggles for settings (e.g., WiFi on/off) would be useful - perhaps on the search page.

19. UHFrank macrumors member

UHFrank

What I like is what the OS does with my iMac and MBA. It blends in nice with my everyday life

20. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Who is getting mad? It's funny that you think people are getting emotional simply because they disagree with your own opinion.

21. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

You mean to say that siri can't turn down my screen brightness???

22. KPOM macrumors G5

I can see a use for this feature. I usually turn Wi-Fi off at the office to avoid getting the pop-up messages, as our wi-fi networks are protected and work only with our PCs.

23. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Because on Android, you can think of your home screen as an app. It can provide you the information that you want/need at a glance. However, on iPhone, it's not possible. So you must spend all your time in apps.

in Android, home screen is the source of information, and interaction with the device and other apps. in iOS, homescreen is just a launchpad.

Not saying that iOS design is bad because of it, but some people may prefer something else.

24. Baldilocks macrumors member

What iOS needs is live app icons. If they aren't going to go with widgets, it's the next best thing.
    Long hold on an Icon to get a bubble with current info. Have the weather icon show the current temp, etc.

There is so much they can without changing the look/feel of iOS AND at the same time give it more functionality.

25. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

This is exactly what I have been wishing for the longest time.