Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Using a PC at home with itune 11.1.2.31 and iOS 7.0.3, but always gets stuck at finishing sync. It looks like it's finished because the spinning sync icon disappears but it still says it's finishing syncing on iTune. Does anyone have this problem? Solution? Thanks much.

Last edited:

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
I upgraded both iTunes and iOS. When I was doing a sync, the app appeared on my phone and I could open it but the iTunes window said 'finishing sync' as you mentioned. I clicked on another app to sync it and then the problem went away.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
I upgraded both iTunes and iOS. When I was doing a sync, the app appeared on my phone and I could open it but the iTunes window said 'finishing sync' as you mentioned. I clicked on another app to sync it and then the problem went away.

What do you mean by clicking on another iPad to sync? Where do I go to do that? Can you explain it for me? Thanks.

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
Had this exact same issue upon updating my 5s (via iTunes) to 7.0.3. Before, it would happen sporadically but restarting the pc and/or phone would solve it. Incidentally, hitting the x after it gets stuck didn't seem to affect anything--backups were still created, apps and photos sync'd fine but it was still annoying.

Restarts, deleting old iTunes logs and an iTunes update didn't help time around until I reset the sync history in iTunes. It caused iTunes to "sync" all of my music again even though all of my media is manually managed. Seems to have fixed it for now.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Had this exact same issue upon updating my 5s (via iTunes) to 7.0.3. Before, it would happen sporadically but restarting the pc and/or phone would solve it. Incidentally, hitting the x after it gets stuck didn't seem to affect anything--backups were still created, apps and photos sync'd fine but it was still annoying.

Restarts, deleting old iTunes logs and an iTunes update didn't help time around until I reset the sync history in iTunes. It caused iTunes to "sync" all of my music again even though all of my media is manually managed. Seems to have fixed it for now.

Thank u sir!

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Using a PC at home with itune 11.1.2.31 and iOS 7.0.3, but always gets stuck at finishing sync. It looks like it's finished because the spinning sync icon disappears but it still says it's finishing syncing on iTune. Does anyone have this problem? Solution? Thanks much.

I have exactly the same issue, ITunes 11.1.2 wont finish the sync, 11.1.1 did

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

I just updated iTunes a few minutes ago and the version is 11.1.2.32 on Windows 7 x64. To answer your question, my first and only sync so far stayed on finishing syncing. I ejected my phone and was not warned that a sync is in progress.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I see this on my Windows machine as well. From what I've been able to tell, sync actually is finishing as the "Sync" button re-enables and the spinning wheel on my iPad and iPhone disappear. It's just the "Finishing Sync" text never goes away, so it looks like a display issue.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
I can't tell the difference because I upgraded to Mavericks & iTunes 11.1.2 together. Called Apple and they told me to re-download and install again. Fine for 1 day. Got the same ****** back again. They don't know if it's iTunes or Mavericks causing the problem. My guess is Mavericks, which s***s. This is Apple's Windows Vista.

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
It's not Mavericks, I am running Mountain Lion, and iTunes 11.1.2.31 with ip5 on iOS 7.0.3. I have the problem as well. After a number of bad and interrupted syncs today, when it did sync, it reloaded about 3000 of my 6000 songs on my 64gb iPhone. My guess the bug exists in iTunes. Sometimes it appears just to be a display issue as mentioned elsewhere, other times it truly is stuck syncing to the device.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I did a restore the other day on my iPhone and it's no longer having this issue. That said, it's a known bug. Apple closed my bug report as a dupe. It is a display only issue, though my downloaded iTunes Match songs ended up with the album art of one of my podcasts after syncing today.

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
Yep. Stuck here too. Just hit the eject button next to your phone on the left in the bar. It will finish and you can unplug your phone.

I don't think it's a phone/phone configuration issue because this is happening on my new 5s. It's an iTunes issue probably that will be fixed with an update.

imejh

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2013
I did a restore the other day on my iPhone and it's no longer having this issue. That said, it's a known bug. Apple closed my bug report as a dupe. It is a display only issue, though my downloaded iTunes Match songs ended up with the album art of one of my podcasts after syncing today.

I was having sync not finishing problems with my iPhone and iPod touch last Tuesday and Wednesday after updating these two devices and my rMBP last Tuesday with the software updates. I tried many times connected with cable or WiFi sync and it made no difference. I did factory resets on the iPhone and iPod and did a clean install of Mavs on the rMBP last Thursday and I have not had a sync issue since. I sync and backup daily to iTunes on the rMBP. Because I did resets on the devices and reinstall Mavs and iTunes update on the Mac I did not know what solved the issue, so maybe it just takes a reset on the iPhone/iPod to resolve the issue.

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
Pretty sure it's an iTunes problem

Yep. Stuck here too. Just hit the eject button next to your phone on the left in the bar. It will finish and you can unplug your phone.

I don't think it's a phone/phone configuration issue because this is happening on my new 5s. It's an iTunes issue probably that will be fixed with an update.

I agree. When it happened to me the other day, after 10 minutes I looked at my iPhone which no longer showed the spinning sync indicator. So I just disconnected it from my computer. I usually back up to the cloud, but do like to keep a recent back up on my computer. At this point, I'm finding backing up to my computer less useful when apps update automatically on my iPhone and iPad Mini, but aren't updated on iTunes and don't seem affected by my syncing.

I keep back up to iTunes as I listen to audiobooks a lot from Audible.com, and those don't sync to iCloud.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Same here. Every once in a while phone is finished syncing but iTunes still says it is finishing sync. Sync button is eligible to use and phone shows sync is complete. Does it randomly. All I do is hit the sync button again in iTunes and it syncs again, but this time it will complete the sync. Has to be a bug. If Apple is aware I am sure they will fix it soon enough.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
There's an 11.2.1.38 update that is supposed to fix this. You need to manually download it though as it doesn't show up as an update.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
There's an 11.2.1.38 update that is supposed to fix this. You need to manually download it though as it doesn't show up as an update.

Thanks for the info, I went to the Apple site and downloaded iTunes, but I tried it and it did not install the version you mentioned on my Windows 7 machine, it says version 11.2.1.32 and I still have the problem that the "finishing sync" does not go away.

Did you download it from the Apple site?

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Thanks for the info, I went to the Apple site and downloaded iTunes, but I tried it and it did not install the version you mentioned on my Windows 7 machine, it says version 11.2.1.32 and I still have the problem that the "finishing sync" does not go away.

Did you download it from the Apple site?

Same thing for me.

rohitp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Austin, Texas
Yup same thing here. Stuck on "finishing sync."

It happens with all our iPhones & iPads with the latest version of iTunes on our Mac. Not every time but quite often…

jlocatell

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
Yup same thing here. Stuck on "finishing sync."

It happens with all our iPhones & iPads with the latest version of iTunes on our Mac. Not every time but quite often…

Yeap, the same for iPhone 5 IOS 7 syncing with Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.