Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's One Billion Song countdown and contest are over.

From Apple's 1billion page:

1 billion songs have been legally downloaded from the iTunes Music Store. Music lovers like you in 21 countries around the globe have purchased one billion songs from the iTunes Music Store. And for helping us reach this massive milestone in digital music history, we’d like to thank you.
The billionth song downloader will receive a 20" iMac, a $10,000 iTunes Music Card, and ten 60GB iPods, and may get a personal phone call from Steve Jobs. Apple usually announces both the winner's name and the winning song.

Apple also gave away $100 iTunes Music Cards and 4GB iPod nanos to those who downloaded every 100,000th song during the contest period.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Macrumors said:
Apple also gave away $100 iTunes Music Cards and 4GB iPod nanos to those who downloaded every 100,000th song during the contest period.

Oh crap, didn't see that part or I would've bought a couple of songs...

Studawg7

macrumors regular
May 15, 2004
Cville, VA
i didnt think it would happen so soon! i was figuring on buying a few songs this friday or the weekend to get my name in the hat.

noelister

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
Studawg7 said:
i didnt think it would happen so soon! i was figuring on buying a few songs this friday or the weekend to get my name in the hat.

Yeah it really got there quickly.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Same here. Was just about to buy an album or two and right before buying I decided to check Apple.com to see where the counter was at. And BAM! 1 Billion songs sold. Oh well. :(

Wonder who the lucky winner is.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Does anyone know how albums count in this competition? Like does that count as one purchase or like 15 (depending on number of tracks)?

I really wish that I had won this competition... it'd be fun to have that many iPods... perhaps the 10 grand would come in handy as well.

200paul

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I put my hat in the ring!

I used this guys website to get a more accurate bead on when to buy my song:

http://www.billiontunescounter.com/

Then I bought a song from a friends album incase I win so they will announce it and he will get some well deserved marketing - he's the best pianist I have ever heard.

Good luck to everyone! I went to Berklee so I would love to have a scholarship in my name or in the name of a fallen musician.

P@ul

gunm

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
HI
Frack, that was faster than I anticipated. Oh well, I already have an Intel iMac, so I'm still thankful. :cool:

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
200paul said:
I used this guys website to get a more accurate bead on when to buy my song:

http://www.billiontunescounter.com/

Then I bought a song from a friends album incase I win so they will announce it and he will get some well deserved marketing - he's the best pianists I have ever heard.

Good luck to everyone! I went to Berklee so I would love to have a scholarship in my name or in the name of a fallen musician.

P@ul

Good luck! I wasn´t expecting it to happen so soon, so I´m not in… Anyway, your marketing skills are good. You got me curious! Post his name and the album title, please.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I wasn't expecting it to reach 1 billion that quickly. I wanted a piece of the action! Bummer.

Ah well, at this rate it won't take too long to reach 2 billion songs, so we can try our luck again.

nsknike

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2005
I am liking my chances even though they are very slim. I used the website listed above to guide my purchase, then I bought 100 songs when I felt the time was right.

texasmafia

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2005
Texas
You didn't have to buy any songs to win. There was a page where you could fill out a form and it would be the same as buying a song and you could fill it out 25 times a day for free. Every contest like this has to be "no purchase necessary."

I entered quite a few times but I guess I didn't win anything

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I bought about four songs, during the final few thousand. I also used the billion song page, to have a better idea of when the billion was about to hit.

No call from Steve, so I guess I lost. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.