Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevegut78

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Does anyone know if there will be the Enterprise iTunes with App Store released? iTunes 12.6.3 and 12.6.5 do not install.

Went to install and was greeted with the message below. This can't be the end of the app store for good?!?!

f6zLcCe.png

stevegut78

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
very bad.

i reverted back to high sierra because of this.

I found a workaround but it's kind of hokey. Need to disable SIP and a few other steps. Not a problem on my Hackintosh since SIP is already disabled but I'm just going to hold tight right now and see if Apple releases an updated version of iTunes.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
I found a workaround but it's kind of hokey. Need to disable SIP and a few other steps. Not a problem on my Hackintosh since SIP is already disabled but I'm just going to hold tight right now and see if Apple releases an updated version of iTunes.

sip disabled and then install works?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is the 12.6.5, you are referring to, the 12.6.5.3 one? This is the one I have installed right now in HS.
I'm asking because if it's not, they may have fixed something.
Yes, 12.6.5.3 does not install in Mojave. It installs fine in High Sierra. When you upgrade to Mojave, 12.6.5 is overwritten with 12.9.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
I am not optimistic there will be a release that supports apps. 12.6.5.3 appeared on the day of the iPhone announcement, 12 Sept, and made no reference to Mojave in release notes or indicated any critical fix. Why release the update then when the new OS was just days away if support is to continue?

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Actually from another thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-4-app-sync-and-ios12.2126532/#post-26533523 if anyone wants to try [describing deleting iTunes and transferring in the Mojave Beta]

It worked fine on my external test HD. I first disabled SIP (You do that by holding down the cmd and R keys simultaneously while starting up. You then start the terminal. In the terminal you write the command "csrutil disable" and you press enter. Then you give the command "reboot" and press enter).

Once I booted with SIP disabled I deleted iTunes from the terminal with the command "sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app". (I also deleted Books so that I could use iTunes to handle my books. I did that with the command sudo rm -rf /Applications/Books.app).
Then I simply used drag and drop from my internal HR (running High Sierra). I moved only the files iTunes.app from the High Sierra application folder to the Application folder n Mojave. Also the files iTunes Library Extras.itdb and iTunes Library.itl from the HS Music folder to the Mojave. It worked like a charm. I didn't care about the media (music and movies) because I keep my iTunes library on another external HD. I supposed you could use drag & drop with your media folder also.​

stevegut78

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
From what I tested, you would have 12.6.5.3 installed in tandem to 12.9. I didn't bother trying sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app but Mac OS definitely doesn't let you delete the new iTunes from the GUI. I was fine with that as I would have just removed the new iTunes from the dock and put the old version on my dock. You have to extract the iTunes.app file from the 1.6.5.3 apk. Restore your iTunes library files from backup, then hold the option key down when you click on the iTunes 12.6.5.3 app. Choose your old library file and you're good. Right now I just reverted back to the new iTunes and will probably just use a VM and/or other apps like SuperImpactor for messing with old rolled back apps.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
I think this is the End of Life Announcement. The iTunes page has been updated today, stripping reference to Mac support for legacy iTunes

Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes
Learn how to deploy apps with iTunes.

Apple offers Volume Purchase Programs and Apple Configurator on Mac to help enterprise environments manage and mass-deploy apps on iOS devices. But certain business partners might still need to use iTunes to install apps.
Install apps with iTunes on Windows
If you've already installed a newer version of iTunes, you can download this version of iTunes for your PC (32-bit) or PC (64-bit)1 and run the installer. After installation is complete, you can continue to deploy apps with iTunes on Windows.
You won’t be prompted to download new versions of iTunes after you install this version. Manually update to the latest version of iTunes when you're ready to upgrade.​

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
IT WILL WORK. Period. I have it on a Macbook Air and a MacBook Pro. If it does'n work for you then maybe you're doing something wrong.

Hey good for you! I could not get it to work even when I had 12.6.5.3 moved into the Applications folder of Mojave 10.14 Build (18A389)

see attached pop up warning
itunes-12.6.5.3-warning-mojave.png

stevegut78

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Hey good for you! I could not get it to work even when I had 12.6.5.3 moved into the Applications folder of Mojave 10.14 Build (18A389)

see attached pop up warning
View attachment 789686

Looks like you missed a step. I followed the directions in the reddit link and I had the 12.6.5.3 app on my desktop...I could run it no problem. Verify SIP is disabled. Verify that you copied "iPodUpdater.framework” from the 12.6.4 iTunes framework folder to the Mojave framework folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.