Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSEliotLives

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2001
Milwaukee
iTunes video file wrapper?

I was going to get the Morcheeba album when it was released anyway, so I downloaded the whole ordeal for kicks.

The video file that comes with the album has a file extension of .mp4, and typical iTunes file icon with the text "Movie" at the bottom, and isn't protected. Has anyone been snooping in the package contents of older versions of iTunes to see if there's such an icon? Or am I behind the times on this one?

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Whoa!

I go away for a day of relaxation and this happens!

However, after reading most of this thread, I will respectfully decline and not install this update.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
iTunes 4.8 feels faster. One bounce on the Dock, and a split second later, the iTunes screen comes up. Might just be a clean install of Tiger as well. On my Panther system, iTunes 4.7 bounces once, but it takes several seconds before the screen comes up.

Anybody else have quicker iTunes functionality?

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
video inside main window

for some reason, i can't get this function to work. I hear the audio part of it, but no video? anyone else with this problem or a fix?

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
that sucks

nina said:
When I launch iSync after installing iTunes 4.8, I get the following error:

"iPod:
You no longer synchronize information on an iPod using iSync. Instead, use iTunes."

:eek:

This isn't good. I have my iPod linked to my Windows PC desktop at home. Occasionally, I plug it into my PowerBook to sync my contacts and iCals using iSync. Looks like I won't be able to do that anymore.

Dang!

iSync is one of my favourite things in the mac, i'm not upgrading to 4.8!

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
isync

If 4.8 doesn't let me use isyc for my ipod i'll never go beyond 4.7.1 does anyone have the 4.7 DMG file so i can keep as a back up and install it in tiger when i upgrade?

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Tried 'IGetMovies'> So far, so useless - for anything it says "I guess there wasn't a quicktime movie there!". Then what the hell was I just watching? :rolleyes:

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
furryrabidbunny said:
for some reason, i can't get this function to work. I hear the audio part of it, but no video? anyone else with this problem or a fix?
They play by default in the album art window, so if you've got that closed...
Then you can click the playing vid in the album art window to open it in a new window, or press fullscreen to well, have it fill your screen. A more elegant solution for music videos, I think.
And to the people who will "NEVER" go beyond 4.7, Apple is bound to cut you off the music store sooner or later, given 4.8's improved security, etc. And you can't say no to whatever cool features are on their way in 5! Change is inevitable - the best you can do is get used to it now. I hated 4.2 on Windows because they replaced the send to mini mode with fullscreen. I never used iTunes fullscreen, still think it looks awkward fullscreen, and missed my mini-mode button. But I installed it anyway, and before I knew it I was cntrl-m ing it up. Now of course, I have the mini mode button back on my Mac, buuuuut I digress.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Nice update.....well for us that don't have a mac yet.......give us QT7 for windows :eek:

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
agree

swiftaw said:
Agreed, I for one do not plan on downloading an update to itunes until it includes the option to keep ipod syncing in isync.

this is going to be the first time ever i don't upgrade to a new version of a program in either the windows/linux or mac environment...not good.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
You do realise that you could configure iSync to sync iPod when you plug in the iPod - thus at the same time you sync your music?

shidoshi said:
It is for me, at least with iTunes. I always have iTunes open, so having iTunes sync my stuff automatically when I plug my iPod in is great.

Don't get me wrong, though - users should have a choice. It shouldn't be either/or.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
I've got mixed feelings here. I like the addition of video support but don't like moving iPod sync to iTunes. I see this change screwing a small group of users, me it's an inconvenience. Also rather odd that there's no advertising the update and it doesn't show up in Software Update or anywhere in iTunes as an update option. hmmmmm Oh well, I did it, now I'll learn to live with it till it changes again.

Z

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
TEG said:
iTunes updates NEVER show up in SU. Neither do Firmware Updates, AppleWorks, or a half-dozen other things.

TEG
i'm sure i've received bluetooth firmware updates through SU.. :confused:

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
nina said:
When I launch iSync after installing iTunes 4.8, I get the following error:

"iPod:
You no longer synchronize information on an iPod using iSync. Instead, use iTunes."

:eek:

This isn't good. I have my iPod linked to my Windows PC desktop at home. Occasionally, I plug it into my PowerBook to sync my contacts and iCals using iSync. Looks like I won't be able to do that anymore.

Dang!

This is just dumb. The wole point of iSync is to be able to sync all your devices together. I'm not impressed with the direction iTunes is taking-- first photo support, and now this. It's meant to be a music player.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Lord Bodak said:
This is just dumb. The wole point of iSync is to be able to sync all your devices together. I'm not impressed with the direction iTunes is taking-- first photo support, and now this. It's meant to be a music player.

Do the new additions make it any less of a music player?

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I don't understand all of this isync stuff.
iSync was rubbish! I have numerous iSync Devices, and you wouldn't believe the number of problems I've had over the year getting it to work.
Syncing calendars/contacts to an ipod os a one-way affair, so it make sence to do this from the application that controls everything else in your iPod!

Try to get your head round this old system:

iSync starts;
1. Ask .Mac for info and sync
2. Apply this data to iPods/other devices
3. Ask other devices (Phone, PDA) for info and sync
4. resolve every conflicting bit of info (taking ages)
5. Finally decide on what's what, but not applied to .Mac or iPods so:
6. Sync AGAIN, and get conflicts again
7. Go on forever - i dont have the time.

For people with a phone, a PDA, an iPod and .Mac, iSync use to be a real pig to use, now that .Mac and iPods have been taken out the whole thing is MUCH simpler and quicker. Personally I think It works A LOT better!

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I'm surprised that one of the benefits (or hopes) for me of iTunes 4.8 hasn't been mentioned yet!!!!

This means hopefully the arrival soon of the Motorola new iTunes capable phone!

As much as I'd love an Apple phone, I have been eagerly awaiting to see what Motorola - are doing with iTunes. Not necessarily to buy from iTMS (as I'm an Australian, and we still don't have iPhoto printing options here)... but a Motorola phone that allows me to chuck a few songs on it as well... and now automatically syncs my contacts and calendar... and hopefully is super slim... now that is something I'm happy to ugrade to 4.8 for!

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
DJY said:
I'm surprised that one of the benefits (or hopes) for me of iTunes 4.8 hasn't been mentioned yet!!!!

This means hopefully the arrival soon of the Motorola new iTunes capable phone!

As much as I'd love an Apple phone, I have been eagerly awaiting to see what Motorola - are doing with iTunes. Not necessarily to buy from iTMS (as I'm an Australian, and we still don't have iPhoto printing options here)... but a Motorola phone that allows me to chuck a few songs on it as well... and now automatically syncs my contacts and calendar... and hopefully is super slim... now that is something I'm happy to ugrade to 4.8 for!

I think this upgrade to iTunes points to something more significant, the inclusion of the sync of addresses and contacts via iTunes as well as video and audio to an iPod points not just to a video capable iPod, but to an iPod that acts much more like a PDA, and maybe even (god forbid) has phone capabilities as well....

YES, the fabled Apple PDA may well be closer than we think.... :rolleyes: :D

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I've yet to receive the update via the Software Updater... I'm waiting until they actually push the update.

Alistair

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2004
video sharing

Was quite interested to hear about the video features but the only real use for me would be if you could share videos in the same way as the rest of your iTunes library. Can anyone think of a way to do this using iTunes 4.8?

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Worst. iTunes. Ever.

I've never been so irritated and confused by an Apple update. What is going on over there in Cupertino? Where is Apple's sense of reason? First Mail.app's new clown suit and .Mac syncing disappearing from iSync (but the .Mac icon remaining in iSync to tell me that I shouldn't use the .Mac icon in iSync) and then this abomination, taking my iPod out of iSync as well. Why did Apple even ship iSync with Tiger?

Not to mention that now iTunes keeps auto-launching by itself, every 2 minutes or so after I quit it. What the hell is going on? Thought my Mac was supposed to make things easier and just work. This is completely flippin' backwards.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
Mac_Freak said:
hehhehh you no longer need MTV to watch music videos.
MTV plays music videos? That was in the 80s. Now it's just continuous reruns of Real World.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
MontyZ said:
MTV plays music videos? That was in the 80s. Now it's just continuous reruns of Real World.

Stop exaggerating. They do way more than that.

They sometimes interrupt Real World reruns with reruns of Pimp My Ride and Punk'd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.