Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iTunes 6.0.2 is now in Software Update:

With iTunes 6, you can preview, buy, and download over 2,000 music videos and hit TV shows on the iTunes Music Store and sync your music and purchased videos with iPod to enjoy on the go. To watch purchased videos, you must have QuickTime 7.0.3 or later and Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later.

iTunes 6.0.2 includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.1.

Note: After purchasing music from the iTunes Music Store with iTunes 6 or later, you will also need to upgrade your other computers that purchase music from the iTunes Music Store to the latest version of iTunes.

The most visible change to iTunes is the MiniStore, a panel that appears below playlists, showing items from the iTunes Music Store. This feature can be turned on and off using Show/Hide MiniStore in the Edit menu or via a new button at the bottom right of the iTunes window. This feature is "on" by default.

QuickTime 7.0.4 has also been released:

QuickTime 7.0.4 is an important release that delivers numerous bug fixes, support for iLife '06, and H.264 performance improvements. This update is highly recommended for all QuickTime 7 users.

QuickTime Pro Users not previously using QuickTime 7 will lose QuickTime Pro functionality without purchasing a new key.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Personally, I'm annoyed by the new ads (that's what the MiniStore is) appearing by default without my permission.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Doctor Q said:
Personally, I'm annoyed by the new ads (that's what the MiniStore is) appearing by default without my permission.

Especially when they advertise something which you can't even buy, due to geographic restrictions!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Command+Shift+M will be your friend. Learn it well. Use it. Profit from it.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Apple can shove that 'MiniStore' where the sun don't shine.

I am happy to see that older music videos downloaded as part of albums now have a 'poster frame' set as opposed to the black square. It seems to be a random frame though and I can't change it. :confused:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I will definitely click the mini-store off :)

Now how about a checkbox to let us reverse the action of those little Store cross-link arrows next to everything in your library? I know you can turn them off, but if you option-click they cross link to YOUR library instead of to the store, and that's so useful it's worth keeping the link dots enabled. But I don't want to option-click. I want that function reversed.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
nagromme said:
I will definitely click the mini-store off :)

Now how about a checkbox to let us reverse the action of those little Store cross-link arrows next to everything in your library? I know you can turn them off, but if you option-click they cross link to YOUR library instead of to the store, and that's so useful it's worth keeping the link dots enabled. But I don't want to option-click. I want that function reversed.

Check out iTunes prefs, click General tab, de-select the "Show links to the Music Store" checkbox

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Stridder44 said:
Check out iTunes prefs, click General tab, de-select the "Show links to the Music Store" checkbox
Nah, he doesn't want to rid them, but I also would like something like this... maybe and applescript is in order?

Does the mini-advertising campaign load up each time you load iTunes? If so, I can't believe Apple sometimes!!

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
But in my opinion, the bigest improvement is...

Okay I just fired up iTunes and guess what I found: if you are playing music through Airtunes, in the little pulldown menu where you choose the remote speaker you can choose Multiple Speakers and play through more than one at a time!

I am currently listening to music through both my Airport Express and my computer at the same time and in-sync with each other.

I don't know if it has to do with the Airport updates I did earlier today (which were realeased on January 3rd but I never saw until I was on the Apple download page trying to get the OS 10.4.4 update), but it works well and is, I think, a major new feature for iTunes/Airtunes.

daddy-mojo

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
L.A.
what mini store

I updated itunes and QT with the updates released today and there is no reference to a mini store in my itunes at all. even tried the command shift m and still nothing. can someone post a screen shot. Also, apple has pulled the QT update and posted a 7.0.1 re-installer. Maybe that has something to do with it.

edit. got it. in the regular library. I thought it was something in the music store itself like the Just For You section. Yah, that sucks. Don't need that.

seigel

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2005
Calgary
Right, so is this an airport express update, itunes update, or a 10.4.4 update...I didn't seem to get it with the itunes update, I haven't seen an airport express update, and well I am downloading 10.4.4 update now :)

Cheers
James.

agentkow said:
But in my opinion, the bigest improvement is...

Okay I just fired up iTunes and guess what I found: if you are playing music through Airtunes, in the little pulldown menu where you choose the remote speaker you can choose Multiple Speakers and play through more than one at a time!

I am currently listening to music through both my Airport Express and my computer at the same time and in-sync with each other.

I don't know if it has to do with the Airport updates I did earlier today (which were realeased on January 3rd but I never saw until I was on the Apple download page trying to get the OS 10.4.4 update), but it works well and is, I think, a major new feature for iTunes/Airtunes.

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada

johnji

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2003
Wellington, NZ
Quicktime Update

Does anyone have anything to report on the Quicktime update? I'm desperately hoping that the advertised H.264 improvements will speed up encoding in this codec.

I'm right in the middle of compressing an only 5 minutes long video using Compressor on a Dual G5 2.0/2.5 GB RAM which incredibly still has 20 hours to go!!?!

I'm stopping now to install the Quicktime and 10.4.4 updates which fingers crossed will add a noticible improvement to this situation.

mumbai

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006

swheeler

macrumors member
May 30, 2005
When I first saw the ministore I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Had me worried until I came here.

TheArchpadre

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2004
Kenyon College
Half-star ratings

So iTunes now supports half-star ratings. Kind of. Badly.

I use a number of AppleScripts to provide a finer-grained rating system, the neutral point of which is 50. (For those who don't know, iTunes ratings are actually from 0 to 100. *=20, **=40, ***=60, and so on.) All songs still at this neutral point now show up as **1/2. However, songs that have been increased to somewhere between **1/2 and *** stars register as just **, so the system doesn't round down properly. Furthermore, I haven't been able to find a way to actually give a song a half-star rating within iTunes.

Peculiar.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't really like the traffic lights on the mini mode but I'll probably live with them all the same... At least they only go like this when the curser is nearby.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 313

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Yeah, can't say I'm a big fan of this either - I thought Apple was above this type of advertising, as it kind of cheapens the app, but ah well - at least you can disable it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.