iTunes 8, Playlist Recommendations, Visualizations

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 3, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With Apple's announcement that the company will be holding a special media event on September 9th, we're reminded that Kevin Rose was the first source of the September 9th date.

Rose originally reported that we would see new iPod nanos and small cosmetic changes to the iPod Touch in September, but also revealed that iTunes 8 would arrive as a "big update" with new features. Later when he revealed the September 9th date, he described a new music recommendation feature within iTunes 8, but gave few details. An anonymous tip has since suggested that this "genius playlist" feature would be able to generate a playlist based on the qualities of a selected song, giving a Pandora-like experience with your own music library. This, however, remains unconfirmed and is published for interest only.

Finally, Rose said yesterday that iTunes 8.0 have new "trippy" visualizations with one described as "planet like objects wrapping around each other with stars/light streams".

Apple's media event takes place at 10am Pacific time on September 9th, and according to Cult of Mac, Apple has uncharacteristically told at least one journalist that the event is "a big deal and [he] should try to be there".

Article Link

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Is anyone from MacRumors going to be there and is there going to be coverage?

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I'll be chuffed if the visualisations come close to WinAmp's Milk Drop.

As for Playlist recommendations, I'm not really sure if I'd take advantage of that feature, unless it was pretty accurate. But then I'd have to go through and tag all of my music with genres, since most of it is still missing it.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Generally MacRumors doesn't get into the iPod keynote, but there will be coverage from other media sources.

5. Clayne macrumors 6502

Big deal? Even iTunes 8.0 and iPod upgrades doesn't really exceed any other iPod event.

A big deal, to me, would be a sweet "one more thing". And I think ya'll know what I'm thinking, realistically or not.

6. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

I wonder if there will be a change in the media library part of iTunes. I store every single Movie and TV Show in iTunes tagged and all. It works pretty good now but it could use a revamp.

Joshua.

7. Cubert macrumors regular

Cubert

New visualizers!!! I hope Apple can eke out a few more FPS out of the standard visualizer for us with older hardware.

This genius playlist sounds a lot like a patent Apple applied for back in 2004 (I think) for a technology that can determine the genre of a song by its beats per minute.

8. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Who the f. is this guy Rose Arn? Is he the one who broadcasts from his grandmothers bedroom in front of a ladder? How come he's suddenly gained credibility when he's never gotten anything right before and doesn't seem to have any inside info from apple? What's his posision, is he employed? Are we supposed to get served whatever bozo spins in his sureal mind as a rumor?:mad:

9. Craigy macrumors 6502

Yes - I really hope they sort out categorisation for movies etc. I have my DVD collection and a couple of hundred family videos - accessing these from AppleTV is a real pain at the moment.

10. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

I'm not a fan of the "minor cosmetic" changes to the touch. I think they need to bring the touch more in line with the iphone or they are biting their own foot. I think most people don't buy the touch because it shows album art, I think they buy it because they can't afford the iphone contract and want similar features without the phone (at least in my case).

11. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

can i remind that i have been predicting Sept 9th since June 2008?? (check my posts)
    yep thats right... suck on that Kevin Rose

12. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_rose

13. elcid macrumors 6502

you might say he is employed. He is the founder and CEO of digg. Next time try google before you rant on and on.

14. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Rose didn't predict ****. A lot of people have been talking about the 9th.

15. belovedmonster macrumors regular

A. He owns Digg, one of the most influential news sites on the interwebs.
    B. He has come out with leaked information in the past which has proven true.
    C. He seems to have been spot on this time, so far at least, so why not shut up and take an interest in what this guy says? :rolleyes:

16. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Yeah, wow I am so impressed, every other bozo has got their internet co. going, wait till dot com bubble no. 2. He should have moved out of his grandmothers already and stopped in broadcasting in front of ladders.

Btw, what's that got to do with him getting just about 99% wrong and having no info on apple? See danny's articles at roughlydrafted to get an idead.

17. SoGood macrumors 6502

SoGood

I don't care, but...

Just frigging post up the fixes for iPhone 3G!!!

18. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Same here, I have Artists, Albums and Track Names all tagged up perfectly along with artwork but everything else is a complete mess and would take a very long time to sort out with an 8,000~ song library.

19. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Is that so? Ha,ha,ha...

See what a real apple authority Danny Dilger at roughly drafted has got to say about this bozo Rose and get a clue:
    "Kevin Rose has been trying his hand at making broad sweeping generalizations about the next generation of iPods, but sorry, no digg. Most of his predictions are not even original, and those that are are so vague that they’re really just worthless"
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...ple-new-ipods-sept-22-iphone-os-21-itunes-80/

20. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

iPod Hi-Fi 2! "A big ass speaker for your phone."

21. BuddhaDog macrumors newbie

iTunes 8 = DRM free

The big deal besides a new nano and a touch, is that iTunes 8's music will be DRM free! That's what Rocks :p

22. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Unless iTunes connects your Artist, Album and Track names together and gets the genre automatically. In fact, if it connected just Artist and Album together to get both the Album and Genre, that'd be a great help.

23. Mackan macrumors 65816

24. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

No, ignorance is ratting on about some "bozo" when you have no real knowledge of their track record.

Rose's rumor track record: 3 right, 2 wrong, 1 part right.

Not "99% wrong" as you put it.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yup. Unless iTunes 8 can fetch my morning paper and make a martini in the evening, it's not going to be a big deal. Cool maybe, but I can't think of anything that would make me jump out of my pants. Ditto w/ the iPods. Been there done, that.

Now if Steve says "one more thing," and a totally redesigned ultra-thin (but, of course not Air thin) MBP or MB pops out of a table THAT will be a big deal.