iTunes 8? When will it be here?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iTeen, Nov 5, 2007.

1. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

MacWorld '08 maybe? Major iTunes seem like they generally come alongside some other big announcement, and the next time we're likely to see a big announcement is MacWorld '08. It's weird because we're sort of in one of those periods where it's hard to figure out what could be next. The past few months have been so huge for Apple with the iPhone, all new iPods, new iMacs, Leopard that it's hard to imagine they've got anything really exciting planned, but hopefully they do.

I suppose movie rentals from the iTunes Store could be a big enough announcement to warrant a new major version of iTunes. I'd certainly be happy with such an announcement (along with more studios on board).

3. iTeen thread starter macrumors 65816

iTeen

i am guessing that it will have movie rentals...hopefully.:rolleyes: But yea, Macworld sounds good.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i want hd content. movie rentals would be nice as well but i think one of the two NEED to happen to itunes

5. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Just as long as 9 doesn't come a month after 8 does (like the 5--->6 transition), I don't particularly care. 7.5 works for everything I need and more.

6. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

Or maybe they'll get really impatient and go "How about itunes 10 folks itunes 10 everybody!"

7. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Yeah maybe they'll do that...and they can call it iTunes X...in order to milk out the X and we will see versions 10.0-10.50 before 11 comes along!:p

8. TimJim macrumors 6502a

9. swearbymac07 macrumors member

Needed iTunes 8.0 and some Needed new Features

Apple needs to improve the burning speeds and some ripping speeds in iTunes, and well, needs to improve sync times for things such as audiobooks to your iPod (I dont mean to sound negative), this is needed.

Also when iTunes CoverFlow is maximised to full screen, they need the "Tap and Flip" to see tracks but only a "Click and Flip" version in iTunes (and/or) a touch version for a touch based Mac.

A new iCon :)D) is needed as the Green iTunes 6 style was better than aqua blue, it gets distorted and hard to see in a Blue Aurora Wallpaper from Leopard Server and doesn't really contrast while using the Tiger Aqua Blue wallpaper. A Red color in the style the blue music note is now would go great.

And while you're at it Apple....when is the "consistency" coming into Leopard?? Am i dreaming but i see Aqua Scrollbars and Table Headers when i use iApps and Apps??

As i said above, i dont mean to sound/be negative but Leopard really surprised me, you first see it and go...kool!! you go through it bragging about your new Mac OS and after around a month you begin to notice all the flaws and inconsistent elements in the Operating System.

I really hope iTunes 8 is released at Macworld '08. iTunes is the key for my enjoyment, both on the Mac (not PC) and iPod (Mac Format). I don't really care about Movies and TV Shows in the Aussie Store, fix these flaws Apple!!! Then...Movies and TV Shows please. I need them, i hate illegal downloading and use iTunes for all my music purchases.

I say again.

I dont mean to be/sound negative but hence my user name. I am willing to tolerate this but i am sure I am not the only one who has noticed all of these things.

10. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

The next incarnation of iTunes won't be iTunes 8 or iTunes X or whatever.

It will be iTunes Blank where 'Blank' is a word like 'Media' (I can't reveal exactly what that word is as I have been sworn to secrecy by Santa Claus).

The reason for this is that they want to slowly transition away from calling it iTunes. This won't happen overnight, but within 2 major releases thereafter.

Just like the iTunes Music Store is now called the iTunes Store. They added content beyond music and dropped music from the title. Now that iTunes isn't just about tunes, they'll do the same to the software.

This is either fact or a version of the truth made up in my head. I have spoken.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Oh I'm using that :D

12. MacGeek Pro macrumors member

I agree.

I think the icon needs to lose the CD behind it, especially as we move more towards digital download for music. Basically, just have the music note like Apple does with the Music folder in the sidebar of Finder.

I wholeheartedly concur!:D

13. swearbymac07 macrumors member

Icon ideas....

MacGeek Pro said that iTunes needs a new icon without the CD behind it as we are moving to digital downloads for music and media.

I agree totally.

Maybe just the blue music icon with a film strip and photo tucked behind it????
    :D
    that would look........okay........i guess but u no apple, they come up with good icons.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Whats wrong with the current icon ;)

Picture 1.png

15. swearbymac07 macrumors member

xUKHCx - where did u get that icon!!!!!

An icon like that (but bigger and better in 512x512) would rock, maybe an icon with a CD player or it displaying MP3 - track 1?????
    Thats a good icon, it has a retro feeling, and it looks like Apple used that for iTunes 1.0. but i think they used the one with 3 music notes for that.
    If apple decide not to include a new icon in 8.0, i wouldnt care as long as they input "click and flip" to see tracks in full screen coverflow, i will be happy. Recently, i have taken to creating a user account called "Front Row" that opens Front Row as soon as you log in, and as soon as you quit it, you log out.
    If iTunes 8, has those sort of features that I recently posted, i might do the same, but with iTunes instead of Front Row. (This may sound stupid, but it works and keeps me studying unless i log out)

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't know...

Picture 1.jpg

;)

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I honestly can't remember the exact name of the group of icons but i got it from interfacelift

18. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I'd like it if iTunes 8 doesn't become any more bloated than the current version. Every iteration adds features, but iTunes takes up so much HD and RAM space nowadays!

19. swearbymac07 macrumors member

Because of an error...and iTunes 8....

Due to an error, i have been putting a 'simulated' signature on my posts - "Mac users, swear by their Mac. PC users, swear at their PC.". My mistake.

I cannot wait for iTunes 8.0, Apple will make it good, and hopefully they will make it less resource hungry. (aka, listen to the consumers, as they have done before)

I now have a signature!! :)D)

20. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I don't think we'll see iTunes 8 until September 08 or the next iPod revision.

It doesn't mean iTunes 7 is perfect, there are still some bugs that need to be worked out and they need to make it less bloated.

21. swearbymac07 macrumors member

Agree....fully

I agree totally as i was watching Activity Monitor and iTunes uses up a big 100 odd MB of RAM (I run Developer Tools and 100 MB for iTunes is quite a lot), i fixed this problem by switching back to List View in iTunes until Apple reduce the required amount of RAm to run Cover Flow. If they can do it on the iTouch and iPhone then why not their own signature computers. (iTouch has a 400 MhZ Processor and 128 MB RAM, and it runs Cover Flow smooth as, our Macs have 1.83 GhZ and above in some cases, so theoretically Macs should run Kinetic Scrolling and Cover Flow smoother with Less RAM usage.)

iPod Touch Hardware Specs from:
    Arstechnica

22. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

When ever Apple decides to release ITMS 8 is when we'll get the new software.. :p :rolleyes:

23. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I sure hope so , I hope iTunes 8 will include movies/tvshows for the dutch store.

24. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

iTunes 8 will come when the iPhone/Touch SDK is announced, as iTunes will have application syncing. Obviously!

25. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Good point. Thats around Februari if I remember right? Riiiiiiiiiiight :)