iTunes 9.2 on PC

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rivkid, Jun 10, 2010.

1. rivkid macrumors newbie

Is there any way to get iTunes 9.2 beta on PC (or at least trick iTunes into thinking it's 9.2)? I got iOS 4.0 Golden Master Beta on my Mac and synced it to my iPhone but since I normally sync my music, apps, and photos with my PC, it won't let me. Any ideas?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Last I read, the PC version is not availble yet.

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Its not, I checked about 20 mins ago

4. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

No way to get iTunes 9.2 beta on your PC yet. The current one is mac only it wouldn't even work on your PC.

5. Enstriel macrumors newbie

It's not impossible to do in Windows, but can it be done in a VM Mac environment running in Windows?

6. anthdci macrumors 6502

It can be, but its a pain to get working, and it is slow and buggy.

7. tehreflex macrumors 6502

I had the same issue. I had to setup OSX86 on my laptop lol.

But in order to sync, I just grabbed the iphone backup, music, apps, etc... from my Windows partition.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

You could try to hackintosh your pc but that's allot of work. Nothing is rely 4.0 ready yet. Just wait for the official release it will be soon enough. Then apps like pandora will work. They should have talked to the dev of backgrounder would have saved all these devs a ton of work.

9. Enstriel macrumors newbie

I'm installing a VM OS X 10.6.3 right now. Will report back if it's possible to JB iPhone 3G there.

10. shigs macrumors member

I am interested to see if that works. I have OSX running on a VM right now but I haven't had the nerve to attempt to upgrade the iphone using it. Almost all of the research I did said that it couldn't be done but these were old posts and the problem noted was related to the pwnage tool restarting the phone and losing its virtual usb connection. I should mention that everything I found on the subject was at least a year old and almost always had to do with iOS2. I couldn't find much info on iOS3 let alone 4.

Keep us posted.

11. Enstriel macrumors newbie

Unfortunately it doesn't work. Most likely because when you run the restore the iPhone has to reboot into DFU (iTunes does it), and while this is happening, I guess VMWare doesn't connect well the booted iPhone to the VMachine, and iTunes can't see the phone anymore. I tried to disable "Run autorun on host machine", so that newly connected devices will be connected to the VM one, but It doesn't work.

Nom I'm installing OS X 10.6.3 directly on my HDD. I hope this will finally work ;).

12. mdecker79 macrumors member

If I'm not mistaken and don't quote me on this but I think I read in one of the other threads that someone with Windows 7 did the upgrade with iTunes 9.1.1 but could not activate the phone? This is because iTunes 9.1.1 doesn't see iOS4. If that's the case then you can use the VM to just activate iOS4 with iTunes 9.2. Again I'm not 100% sure if I remember that correctly and I don't have a second phone to test with.

13. mdecker79 macrumors member

Post #544 given he did it on a mac so who knows.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10072674&highlight=windows#post10072674

14. Enstriel macrumors newbie

Success! I finally managed to install iOS4 via VMWare! It took some tries, but after 2-3 times iTunes updated my FW successfully. Now I'm off trying to JB it.

15. mdecker79 macrumors member

good news because I just got done installing OSX via VMware on my Win7 laptop. If you have any kind of updates or news on this please let me know because I'm going to try this out a lil bit later.

16. Enstriel macrumors newbie

I've jailbroken in! :)
    I've used:
    VMWare Workstation 7.1.0 build-261024
    Mac OS X 10.6.3 Retail
    iTunes 9.2beta
    redsn0w_mac_0.9.5b4-2
    iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw - for iTunes update from 3.1.X FW
    iPhone1,2_4.0_8A274b_Restore.ipsw - for redsn0w veryfication

Make sure that you have: Disable Autorun on the host in VMWare unchecked in Edit/Preferences. And just keep trying. For me it worked at the 3rd time.

17. mdecker79 macrumors member

So when you did the upgrade inside VMware did it wipe the phone? or did the music and what not stay on?

I'm wondering if I have to setup my itunes library in the VMware.

18. Enstriel macrumors newbie

I would do a backup, because it might brick your phone, and you'll have to restore it. I did a full restore, just to be sure.

19. mdecker79 macrumors member

sorry for the questions but did you move your library to the VM in order to setup the iPhone? I just want to be able to have all of my music still on the device after the upgrade and if I have to move my library that will be a long long time..

20. Enstriel macrumors newbie

I didn't move it. Just a few apps. If you're in a rush, and you want your data on your iPhone, you should be prepared to do a full restore (format), because odds are that it won't work the first time, and you'll have to wipe it.

Btw. if anyone needs their Cydia apps badly, I have baaad news. 95% of custom apps don't work, or even crash. The ones that are working are: Installous, AppSync 4.0, iFile, and a few others.

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There is a thread on compatible apps (it doesn't include those used to steal software)

22. Picpicus macrumors newbie

Do you think it's possible to emulate a Mac on your Pc (using PearPC), and then install iTune 9.2 beta to be able to install IOS4 on an iPhone?
    That's what I try to do but I struggle at the moment

23. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

Could you or someone else offer me a little help with VMware...I keep getting "operating system not found" I have the same VMWare version and OSX version.

A tutorial would be great.

24. Kinseek macrumors newbie

If you install iOS4 on a mac with iTunes 9.2 (or with vmware) and activate it there, can you after activating it use it on a windows pc with the previous itunes and sync music, movies and apps and all as normal?

Basically; is activation AND usage limited to 9.2 only?

25. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Yes.