iTunes 9 Glitches/Bugs/Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mickbab, Sep 13, 2009.

1. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Hi all,

Couldn't find a thread on this, only on a few specific problems, so thought we could start a list.

Suppose I will start.

• iTunes Store - 'stop' button doesn't work when previewing songs - you can hit the small blue play button, which is then replaced with a small blue stop button. the small blue stop button doesn't work.
    • iTunes Store - not so much a glitch but just an annoying problem with the way it is set out - can no longer use the f-keys or arrows to skip through songs

That's just a few I've seen.
    What's everyone else got?

2. tjp888 macrumors regular

tjp888

You can add a problem with playlists. Since upgrading to 9, iTunes will not update a playlist made up of podcasts.
    I have seen other posts from users with this problem.

How can Apple miss such a glaring bug?

If I add a music title to my podcast playlist and perform a sync I see the playlist appear on my ipod with just the music track in it. The podcast titles are not there - very bizarre.

3. tbone7467 macrumors regular

Bug:

on installation on my Mediasmart server I get an error about couldnt start ipod services. itunes prior to this one installs correctly.

4. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I have not experienced the bug where the stop icon shows up but nothing happens when you press it, during normal usage. Although I did preview a song in my "WishList" and deleted it and the preview kept going and I couldn't stop it or play any other previews.

iMix's are still in iTunes older interface with the resizable columns (bring back those columns Apple!!!!!!). When browsing through the iMix's, you cannot add them to your "WishList" due to the fact they are set up for the old iTunes with the shopping cart. So you have to "Buy Now". You can bypass this by clicking the arrow near the song and going to the album it's from.

5. alexdudman macrumors member

I also have the Playlist bug. I have a custom Smart Playlist which displays ALL of my tunes in order of date added. This is broken in iTunes and just shows random tracks on my iPhone.

6. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

This happened to me right after I updated my Touch. I have a playlist of the newest added songs with the newest songs being at the very top of the list. Well they were in random order on my iPod. I fixed this by taking the playlist off the sync list and restarting my iPod and then syncing the playlist back again. Make sure to go into your iPhone's view and look at the playlist it says are on there and make sure the sort order is the same as the playlist in iTunes.

7. berrellmd macrumors newbie

I use an external drive connected to airport to host my library. Since upgrading to 9, i can no longer select this drive and there for all of my media is now unrecognized, and needs to be changed over to the local drive. Anyone know another way around this?

8. frogger2020 macrumors regular

I have itunes library on an external nas and I have found itunes 9 to be very slow in moving to the next song. I am waiting about 5 seconds each time I press the next song button with the spinning beach ball. Anyone have similar issues?

If I turn off the option to allow itunes to organize files, it does speed it up. However, I like the fact that it keeps track of the tags and moves the file to the appropriate folders automatically.

9. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

Not sure if it's an iTunes 9 bug or an OS 3.1 bug but my podcasts (which are shown correctly in iTunes) are not in chronological order once they are copied to my iPhone. They aren't even in reverse order (like Apple likes to do every so often) they're just jumbled up seemingly randomly.

10. rvittori macrumors newbie

My iTunes 9 Bugs

iTunes 9 and VMWare Fusion 2.0.5 and Safari all running at the same time cause a kernel panic on my iMac 7,1.

I love the Genius Mixes but one of them is called Holiday but is made up entirely of Jazz which is very annoying because there is another one called Holiday 2 which is made up of holiday music. I can't find away to change it.

Thoughts? Comments?

11. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

This has been the buggiest and most unstable Apple/Mac program I've used since I switched to Apple in 2006. My Apps folder has disappeared a couple of times. I've had to download a free App to get it to reappear. When I sync my iPhone the same 9 songs re-sync/update to it every time I connect it. It's also not staying signed in to my iTunes account and losing my sign-in info.

12. danieljoe macrumors member

danieljoe

13. bclogan macrumors newbie

I have the Playlist problem - all my playlists with podcasts in them will not sync.

Also, I noticed that not all my music is syncing either. There are more items in my music library on my computer than got synced up with my iPod Classic.

I haven't had time to see what else is broken...

14. jake.f macrumors 6502

Annoyance:

Took about half an hour to install.

15. FHL78 macrumors newbie

Sync Leads to Crashing!

Not sure what the deal is but the moment I connect my 3gs I get the pinwheel of death which means I can't sync any content. If I delete itunes and reinstall I can sometimes get it to work. Any thoughts?

16. sravana macrumors regular

I have 3 playlists which are the Pimsleur Japanese courses, 1,2&3. I cannot get any of the tracks from Japanese 2 on the ipod - even if I manually add all Jap2's tracks to my Jap1 playlist, they still don't show up! What the heck?

Of course, I'm in the middle of the Japanese *2* course, so now I can't listen to them in the car.

17. dcx macrumors newbie

The problem I'm having is that although podcasts show up in itunes, my 4th gen ipod does not show any availiable tracks when I go to podcasts. All I get is a blank screen.

I've deleted all my podcasts and resubscribed but that did not work. Next step is to try and restore my ipod.

Any other suggestions?

18. sravana macrumors regular

I just realized that my problem is that the files are AAC - those are the ones which don't show up on my Touch (running 3.1.1). Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go through and change all the files!

I did find this page at the apple forums: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2151037&tstart=75&start=30
    There's a post by whim that details how to downgrade back to iTunes 8.

19. dcx macrumors newbie

To answer my own question with the help of the discussion board on apple's web page:

1) Plug in your ipod and in itunes go to the "podcast" tab.
    2) Check "sync podcasts" and "automatically include all episodes of selected podcasts.
    3) Check the podcasts you want to sync with your ipod.
    4) Check the playlists you want to sync with your ipod.

Good luck to all who had the same issue.:)

20. vikkimac macrumors newbie

itunes 9 homesharing issue

So just installed itunes 9 on my macbook and my husband's laptop. Trying to enable home sharing and having limited luck. He can see my music library, but when I go to my macbook and click on his library's name, itunes thought for a second and then just went to my home library. Now his library is not accessible/visible on my itunes at all, the name is not even showing up. I tried quitting/restarting itunes a few times, reauthorizing, both itunes are signed on under my apple ID. So no clue what's going on.

This was the big improvement I was looking forward to... HA!:mad:

21. zumbado macrumors newbie

Homesharing Buttun???

I am a pc user and i have downloaded itunes 9.0.1 the update but it seems there is no homesharing icon like were it should be? Where the music and playlists buttun are there is supposed to be a homesharing buttun right???:confused::confused::confused::confused:

22. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I too am having the same problems with iTunes, Smart Playlists and Podcasts all not syncing/showing up on my iPod Nano. :(

Hope Apple has a fix on the way.

23. minlshaw macrumors member

I've noticed that browsing the iTunes store itself has become frequently unresponsive. I was trying to look through the featured selection of movies based on books a couple of days ago, and I simply could not move around the page. I tried scrolling down, and nothing happened. I tried scrolling to the side, and nothing happened. I couldn't get it do anything at all.

24. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

My favourite. Just started today.

Attached Files:

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I've downloaded about 6 - 7 various podcasts from iTunes. When I connect my iPhone (3G, 16GB, 3.0.1), I click on the phone, then click on podcasts in the middle portion of the window (not the list above where the phone is shown), iTunes crashes, with it saying that quicktime.qts is the source of the problem. I don't get the chance to say to sync all, or select which ones to sync to the phone. After I restart iTunes, and try the same thing again, then I can choose which ones I want to add to my phone. I don't remember this happening in iTunes 8.*, and I skipped 9.0.

Windows XP, SP2, iTunes 9.0.1.8.

BL.