MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Boy Genius Report has received a tip from a "pretty reliable source" claiming to have knowledge of several new features to be included in iTunes 9. The rumored features include support for Blu-ray media and visual organization of iPhone and iPod touch applications within iTunes, as well as some form of social networking/media integration.
One of the new additions to iTunes is said to include Blu-ray support which lines up nicely with a recent Apple Insider report about Apple integrating Blu-ray into their new iMac line-up. Something else that will most likely make a bunch of people happy is that we've been told iTunes 9 will finally include the ability to visually organize and arrange your iPhone and iPod touch applications. Something that wasn't so clearly described was some kind of Twitter/Facebook/Last.fm integration. Maybe broadcasting what song you’re playing to your friends?
While no timeframe for a launch of iTunes 9 was suggested by the source, Apple has in recent years held special media events to update its iPod line and iTunes each September, so it is reasonable to speculate that iTunes 9 could make an appearance within the next month or two.

Article Link: iTunes 9 to Include Blu-ray Support and iPhone App Organization?

Sedulous

Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Why oh why add more bloat to iTunes? Glad to hear apps can finally be organized.

Comment

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
This would mean new Blueray imacs and macbook(pro)s at some point :D

Comment

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Sounds good except for as well as some form of social networking/media integration. I'm getting sick of these things. If there's a Twitter button I'm ditching iTunes.

I do want BluRay, though.

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Sounds good except for as well as some form of social networking/media integration. I'm getting sick of these things. If there's a Twitter button I'm ditching iTunes.

last thing i care about is what song joe blow is listening to

i mean it really is going to affect my day! i HAAAAAAVE to know!

Comment

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
this probably means new iMac resolution will be bumped to 1920 x 1080.

I would personally love the iPhone app org. right now organizing iPhone apps is a nightmare. I would love to set one page as productivity app, one as game app, etc.

Comment

Virtuo

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
Boston, MA
Interesting. I also wonder if this version of iTunes may include the new payment system mentioned in an earlier article, and whether it has any relation to the vaguely rumored "social-networking" aspect.

Comment

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Wow iTunes is getting more and more bloated with each iteration. I wish they would just keep it a lightweight and fast music jukebox like it was originally intended for.

Comment

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I don't know if I'd want to play BluRay discs in ITunes. Rather have a separate app for that.

Comment

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Or at least rename it and split the music playback parts of it to QTX.

Comment

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I'm not so sure about this. If Apple says it's event in September is an iPod event, then this 9.0 rumor is smashed because Blu-Ray support will probably come with an iMac or MacBook Pro with a Blu-Ray drive (this is just what I think will happen). If Apple just says this will be an event with no specific purpose or there is no event at all, I think it is very likely we'll see Blu-Ray support, a new iMac, and the rumored tablet.

Comment

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Funny enough, me and my friend who also has an iPhone were chatting about how Apple need to implement an App Organisation method through iTunes (only 3 day ago too) as moving apps across 9 pages isn't fun in the slightest.

This would be great if it comes to light. As for BluRay... Not sure how that ties in with iTunes

Comment

Akzel

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
"Oh, all I want is to listen to this song..."

*clicks on iTunes*

*taps foot*

*get a coffee*

"Oh, there it is, just works!"

:rolleyes:

I'm tired of all the bloat on iTunes, I wish they would separate the music from all the bloat!

And a 20" 1920 screen? I would be more excited if the system was resolution independent...

Comment

cisco1138

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
If there's a Twitter button I'm ditching iTunes.

Bloated for sure, I still remember when iTunes was called SoundJam. Unfortunately for me, iTunes has become unditchable. I realize they are running out of cats to name the OS after, leads me to believe the next OS will simply be iTunes 10:D

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
itunes needs a clean start. seriously. and it needs a lot of work for being a flagship product.

but these rumors... seem doubtful at best really.

Comment

cisco1138

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
this probably means new iMac resolution will be bumped to 1920 x 1080.

I would personally love the iPhone app org. right now organizing iPhone apps is a nightmare. I would love to set one page as productivity app, one as game app, etc.

My white plastic iMac of a few years back has aresolution of 1920x1100,:eek: BluRay should have been included back then. My PS3 had it, why not my iMac?:confused:

Comment

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
Blu Ray support and not a single Mac has a Blu Ray drive?

I don't think so.

They'd have to update the entire line right after the HUGE update they did with their laptops.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.