Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
OSX SL Major Leap towards BD?

I plugged my external USB Liteon BD-RROM to my mac-mini.
Wow, SL was able to mount it and display an icon with BD letters in it.
You can also browse the content of the BD disk.
I could not find any other use for it. iTunes did not react to BD presence at all.

Keep on dreaming...

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I could not find any other use for it. iTunes did not react to BD presence at all.

Keep on dreaming...

That's because a Mac Mini lacks HDCP support. I'm almost guessing that with the release of iTunes 9.0 and its related new QuickTime version, a very small number of properly-configured iMacs and Mac Pros that can support HDCP may suddenly gain full BD-ROM/BD-RE drive support, which will FINALLY get Macs to play back Blu-ray media. :)

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany

Keep on dreaming...

Leopard was able to do that.

That's because a Mac Mini lacks HDCP support. I'm almost guessing that with the release of iTunes 9.0 and its related new QuickTime version, a very small number of properly-configured iMacs and Mac Pros that can support HDCP may suddenly gain full BD-ROM/BD-RE drive support, which will FINALLY get Macs to play back Blu-ray media. :)

AFAIK, you need HDCP support to play DVDs, which the Mac mini does.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
iTunes did not react to BD presence at all.

Keep on dreaming...

Wow. There's a surprise. Now the same people that have been dreaming about BD support will now tell us how awful BD is and that Apple is smart to not include any BD support right now and that it'll be much better to add support for it in about 5 years when the format has "matured" and isn't such a bag of hurt. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, you can still buy sub-DVD quality movies off iTunes. Come on! Simon...er...Steve says go buy more crap from me! NOW! If you hurry, you can get Quicktime X ONLY in Snow-Jobs and ONLY for Intel Macs for the low low price of $29. It doesn't do anything better than any previous version of Quicktime; in fact it removes several features Quicktime 7 Pro had, but we put that cool "X" on it so you should give us $29 to get it. Screw the rest of you. You're not cool enough to run the Snow-Jobs version of OS X.

Of course, I shouldn't poo-poo Quicktime X too much. I asked Quicktime 7 Pro to make me an AppleTV "version" of a video I had. I ended up with a white screen for video in the M4V file it produced. I asked it to just pass-through the video for MP4 and re-encode the audio since that seemed to be the problem (bit-rate was too high for AppleTV) and it crashed. Apple makes such professional software. That's why they put "Pro" on everything. So when it crashes and burns every 5 minutes (it's a GREAT feeling when Final Cut Pro does that given its cost), you know it was a professional crash. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.