itunes account hacked - be alert

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cthoops, Dec 28, 2010.

1. cthoops macrumors member

Just wanted people to know that on December 25th I received an automated e-mail saying my address and credit card had been changed on my itunes account. When I went to check, someone had changed my city/state and my credit card information had been removed. I had $20 in my itunes account and they had used it to buy various apps. Merry Christmas, right?

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem, and to give people a heads up. And yes, I have already changed my password and canceled the credit card.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks for the heads up
    It is always good for everyone to keep a close eye on their account activities

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I hope you changed your password to a good pseudo-random one. Did you have an easy to guess password before?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. cthoops thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link to the other thread. Same fact pattern as the other reports - changed city/state to Towson, MD, and apps purchased began with asian characters. My password was not easy to guess, and I never click on unknown e-mails, etc. Sigh.

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

7. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Be vigilant with your anti-virus coverage as well as updating ALL your software especially Java, Adobe Acrobat/Reader, Windows updates, and Adobe Acrobat/Reader (worth mentioning twice).

The strongest passwords will always be cracked by a decent keylogger. :)

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But was it the same password you use anywhere else? If a site is compromised the theif will often try password and e-mail address combos on many sites like iTunes, Amazon, and Google.

Chances are, a few of them will go through.

Did you use the same e-mail address and password on any other sites that you use in iTunes? It could possibly have been a leak from one of those places.

9. jtotheustin1988 macrumors newbie

Me too! Just caught it today when I tried to buy a cd. I checked my email and I got the same email on the 25th. They wiped out my $50 gift card. I double check my credit cards and it looks like they didnt touch those, but i told my card companies just in case. You think theres any possibility Apple can/would refund the giftcard since its kind of their fault, due to lack of security on their part.

10. BindingEnergy macrumors newbie

Store Credit Wiped

Same thing happened to me. I had $29 in store credit and got an e-mail on the December 24th that said my account information had been changed, followed by a purchase on the December 25th that wiped my account balance.

As soon as I got the e-mail indicating that my account information was changed, I logged into my account and changed the password and de-activated associations with my credit card, but not before they wiped out my account balance. Some of the purchases had Asian characters in it.

I have reported the incident to Apple when I got the e-mails on December 28th, but I have no heard back from them yet. I will update when I get resolution on this issue. Has anyone else here, had their issue with apple resolved yet?

11. cthoops thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I e-mailed Apple about it and they refunded the money that I lost. It took a few days, but they were very responsive and sent me several e-mails keeping me updated on the process. No finger pointing from them, either. I'm thoroughly satisfied with their response.

12. terencemac macrumors member

terencemac

Itunes

There is an iphone forum in the UK that asks for an email and password to register as all do.
    But this one asks for a password with a capital letter and numbers included as itunes does.
    I wonder how many people input there normal itunes id ....

Im sure your case is different but this struck me as being a little sinister..

13. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Good to hear OP.

I don't keep my CC on there for that reason.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Ditto. I only put mine in when I need it. That or a small iTunes card.
    My wife, however, thinks I'm being to scared. That is until she had her laptop stolen.
    And it happened to have her iTunes on it with a CC already entered into her account.
    So now, she just gets itunes cards and put them on. So at most she'll only lose a few $$.

15. quadchick10 macrumors member

quadchick10

The same thing happened to me. Just last week I received an email/receipt that I supposedly purchased some 19.00 worth of apps. I didn't so I immediately checked my iTunes account where I had 19.39 left in store credit. My account was down to .41. I was furious! I checked my iTunes account and someone changed my city, state and zip to Townson, MD. Fortunately, after several phone calls and emails to iTunes, I was able to get my money back. What strikes me as odd is that iTunes instruct their customers to remove their credit card information and use iTune gift cards. Is this because they know someone has found a back door into their so called security?

EVERYONE PLEASE CHANGE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO "NONE". Just use a $10.00 or $15.00 gift instead. It is quite obvious that iTunes is not as safe as we thought.

16. BindingEnergy macrumors newbie

Problem Resolved sort of

Apple took care of the store credit issue to my satisfaction, but until I figure out how the account was hacked, I am gonna do the same and unassociate my credit card.

17. quadchick10 macrumors member

quadchick10

I was surprised on how efficient Itunes was in crediting my account back. I was angry that they had disabled my account, but that was only for a day. Since then, I have made all of my passwords a lot stronger. Hopefully, this doesn't happen again.

18. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

19. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

How do you do this on an existing account? Mine got hacked and it WAS changed....but now there is some card on there I don't recognize and I cannot delete it or select the none option anymore because it isn't there.

I had it set to none previously after the hack and always have some itunes gift card credit there. I have over $20 credit that I cannot use because of this "credit card" issue.

20. kosatoditto macrumors newbie

What can I do?

So my itunes account was hacked into by someone who changed my account into her name and address. Any way to formally press charges against this person? Other than sending email to apple, doesn't seem to be any other way to report a problem?:mad:

21. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

You should change you pw every month at least better qould be to change it every hour:)
    Just to let you know i feel sorry for every one who got their account hacked :(

22. Pomeless macrumors regular

After reading this and the other forum thread I am a tad paranoid.:(

Is the "None" selection available only through iTunes? Or can I change it via The Apple store on Apple.com? I do not see anywhere in The Apple store so I'm assuming it's through iTunes.

Will this effect my ability to use my iPhone in any way?

Thanks for your help.

23. jacollins macrumors 6502a

It's in iTunes, but I remember I had to do something different to get it to appear (it's not on the list of options by default). Do a google search for it.

No it doesn't affect your iPhone.

24. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

I think if you try buying a free app with no credit card on file, it will ask you to put in one, but this time it will have none as an option.

25. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

You need a STRONG password, especially if you carry a decent balance on your iTunes account as I do. That is, unless you want your login credentials to get sold on some fraudulent Chinese site.