iTunes alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superhuman, Mar 17, 2008.

1. superhuman macrumors member

Ok, so here's the problem:

I don't have access privileges to install iTunes on my work machine (probably due to the internet enabled features, which I don't need). All I want to do is plug in my iPod and play songs off of it. Any suggestions on an alternative program without all the bells and whistles?

Thanks in advance!

2. superhuman thread starter macrumors member

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

not sure sorry. you could show hidden files and then access the songs from the iPod file system. all the songs are have garbled names though...

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

theres a loophole which i think should work...

most IT technicians forget this completely.. on the local PC there is always a local user account called Administrator.. generally IT technicians forget to password-protect this account and it gives access to the local machine and cant be removed. In XP the password is blank...

So what you do is log off your domain user account and where you get the box:

Username:
    Password:
    Log on to:

Change it to
    Username: Administrator
    Password: (leave blank)

then install itunes.. then log back in to your domain user account (not 'this computer') and then you can authorize it for your account and play music off your ipod and nobody will ever know what you did

after this post i will be a macrumors regular, and i think i deserve congratulations for climbing the rank...

zain

5. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Congrats to the status change

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sweet tip!

wait until you get to macrumors 6502... ZOMG avatar!

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If that doesn't work for you there is always SongBird. Just get the iPod plugin. Alternatively you could go with Winamp, as it supports iPods out of the box, even though it's a bit bloated nowadays.

8. superhuman thread starter macrumors member

Winamp was the solution I was looking for... listening to music at work right now via iPod! Thanks!

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

how were you able to install it? did you use the Administrator login thingy? just curious..

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Don't know _how_ you want to play the songs, but if you want to play through headphones, then all you need is a USB connector to plug the iPod into your computer to supply it with power eight hours a day, no need for iTunes at all.