iTunes and 2 external HD's?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Chad H, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

What kind of external HD's are you guys using? I have a 500GB external OWC right now hooked up via firewire 800. Now given, my actual dvd collection is about 500 and I have just starting ripping them. I figured by the end of it all I will have well over 1TB. Yes, I know I have a too many actual dvd's. But my question is for the guys that have over 2TB's. I was thinking of a OWC 2TB external HD. But didn't know eventually if I went over that amount how I would sync my iTunes library to two different external HD's?

2. slapppy macrumors 65816

I have two 1TB MyBooks over USB on a Belkin 7 Port Hub. Syncing works fantastic. No issues whatsoever so far for me.

3. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

But how is this setup in itunes? Right now in my pref's tab I have it pointed my external HD. How would itunes know which one to grab from?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You can just RAID the externals to add space and make them behave as one volume.

5. ibglowin macrumors regular

once you fill up one drive just deselect "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library" under advanced. after you have your movie on the new external drive just drag and drop the file into your open itunes and it will make a short cut to the movie only. then add artwork and info as you wish. rinse, repeat.....

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, you'd need to deselect the "copy to iTunes Music Folder" option in iTunes' preferences.

7. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well what about if I buy a movie on iTunes once the first external is full? Where would it go if I deselect that?

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That would want to go to your first external. iTunes only directs files towards the drive that is set in your preferences. You'd need to leave space free on it if you planned to download things from iTunes.

9. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I gotcha. Does anyone have a link to this RAID method? I am new to that but it sounds like it would work better for me actually.

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You can set up a RAID set in Disk Utility.

Be forewarned though, setting up a RAID 0 doubles your risk of data loss, since you're striping data across two physical hard drives with no parity. If one fails, you lose all your data. Not to mention that I believe in a RAID 0 all drives have to be the same size.

Basically, making a RAID 0 of two EXTERNALS is the most dangerous thing you can do with your data, since externals (due to being out and about, able to be dropped or pulled off a desk, etc.) are more prone to failure than internal drives. I hope you back up regularly.

11. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I think you can also "option drag" files to your iTunes library (from any volume) to add them without actually copying the files.

12. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

I've been doing some cursory examination of RAID 5 arrays, which are the most appropriate for our collective use.

There was some talk about a software version of RAID 5 being included in 10.5, but I think it got left out.

Does anyone have an idea about a reasonably-priced RAID 5 scheme?

13. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Then I am probably going to pass on that then. Im sure by the time I need to purchase a HD bigger than 2TB they will probably have a 4TB version.

14. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Alternatively, once the first drive is full then change the default location of the iTunes library to the new external drive. All the files on the original external will stay where they are, iTunes will continue to know where they are, and any new files will then be added to the library on the new external. When the second external drive fills up rinse and repeat.

Regards,
    Michael

15. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

It's actually Apple+Option drag.

Regards,
    Michael

16. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's actually Cmd+Option drag.

Pedantically,
    killmoms ;)

17. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

It's, uh, the same key. :)

Regards,
    Michael

18. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Don't know if losing only half the data would make me feel any better. In either case (Scary RAID or multiple externals), you should have a solid backup strategy to prevent against ANY data loss...

19. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That'd be my point, really. Now that Apple has removed the Apple logo from the Command key entirely (and put on the word "command"), it's probably best to simply call it "Command."

EDIT: "RAID Scary" should be an official RAID level. :D

20. slapppy macrumors 65816

I will always call it Apple key even if they replace it with a Hello Kitty Logo. Been a user since 1985. :)

21. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As long as you're not calling it the Apple key to new users who will have no idea what you're talking about, you can call it the Queen of England for all I care. :p

22. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

The Apple logo has been removed from that key? I didn't know that. That must have happened in the past year.

Regards,
    Michael

23. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Starting with the new aluminum keyboards, yes. The new Penryn MacBook Pros, MacBooks, and the MacBook Air continued this trend. Now all of Apple's lineup lacks the Apple logo on the keyboard.

24. f(A)t'kId macrumors member

I thought the same thing... 2TB's goes pretty quick. I'm on my 3rd right now. I have 2 500GB WD My books and 3 1TB WD My Books. Works great.

25. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Do you just fill one up, change the destination path in iTunes and keep adding?