Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

145929-appstore.jpg

Several sites (Yooph, Appleinsider) have posted an image found briefly on the Apple Australia iPod Touch page which listed June 27th as the release date for the iTunes App Store. The image was quickly pulled, however, and is unlikely to mean anything.

During the 2008 WWDC keynote speech, Jobs specifically said that the 2.0 Firmware would be delivered in "early July". And the iTunes App Store is a major feature of the 2.0 Firmware. We suspect that June 27th was a previously planned 2.0 Firmware launch date that never materialized. In fact, whispers from WWDC indicate that Apple is still racing the finalize the iTunes App Store, so Apple themsevles may not yet know the exact date of its launch.

Article Link

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Does anyone know that if the app store comes out before the iPhone 3g, will we be able to transfer purchased software to the new device?

Comment

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
They have announced a firm launch date. July 11. I presume 2008. :)

Rocketman

Well, I have the same thoughts as you, but I will bring up that if they have an exact date for one, they would give an exact date for the other...if they had one. I'll take this with a grain of salt, but it could be very true.

Comment

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
Does anyone know that if the app store comes out before the iPhone 3g, will we be able to transfer purchased software to the new device?

along these same lines...

I'm wondering how many iphones i can install these apps on. as it is now i can install all games downloaded on itunes to all of the ipods in my household (that are compatible of course). music bought over wifi on the iphone can be synched with other ipods once synced with itunes.

I'm just hoping it's the same with apps.

Comment

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet

i'm gonna go with probably not. i'd guess that with most other software, you will be licensed to only once machine for installation. i'm sure that's something of which they'll make clear as the days go on, or at least on launch day.

Comment

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007

I'm wondering how many iphones i can install these apps on. as it is now i can install all games downloaded on itunes to all of the ipods in my household (that are compatible of course). music bought over wifi on the iphone can be synched with other ipods once synced with itunes.

I think i read somewhere that it would be 5. But I could be making it up, so wait till you here from someone more confident in there repsonce. =]

Comment

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
While the 11th does seem to be the most likely possibility, I can't imagine Apple would be in the least way adverse to pushing it back if it wouldn't happen to be ready.

Comment

v-roc

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the June 27th date for 2.0 software and the App Store. June 30th is the end of the quarter for them so they might want to see if they can get a small bump in revenue and it will be something for them to talk about on the next investor call. Anybody currently approved in the iphone developer program and has been in talks with Apple will have a better idea of when this will happen. :cool:

Comment

moonzilla

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
Berkeley, CA
supposedly apple has told developers to have their apps finalized by june 16th. obviously that doesnt clear anything up, but it does make the 27th a possibility (which we already knew) :)

Comment

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
supposedly apple has told developers to have their apps finalized by june 16th. obviously that doesnt clear anything up, but it does make the 27th a possibility (which we already knew) :)

Well, the 16th does seem quite early for a july release, but then again, I am sure they will have fun getting all the apps up on the server and prepared for launch? I dont know...

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

txr0ckabilly said:

It will probably operate similar to the games for iPods. Apple know that people like that model so I
imagine that it will remain that way. I hope it comes a bit early but we will seen soon enough. I mean we've waited this long what's a few more weeks.

Comment

mekopolis

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It will probably operate similar to the games for iPods. Apple know that people like that model so I
imagine that it will remain that way. I hope it comes a bit early but we will seen soon enough. I mean we've waited this long what's a few more weeks.

well what are the FAIR PLAY DRM requirements/ restrictions
cause i remember from the expo, it was mentioned

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
My guess it will sync to any Touch or iPhone that is setup with that iTunes account on a given machine. I don't think I can setup a friends iPhone to sync my music/movies as when he goes back home it will erase the device to re-sync with their iTunes account.

So if I have five iPod Touches and an iPhone setup on my machine/iTunes, I should be able to sync games/apps to all of them.

EDIT: I guess if your friends only synced on your computer it wouldn't be an issue. I only have one device so others that have tried this can chime in.

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
well what are the FAIR PLAY DRM requirements/ restrictions
cause i remember from the expo, it was mentioned

I think this is just to make sure app is safe, that is the way Steve stated it I thought in the Keynote.

Comment

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT

The date of June 16th is news to me. No mention of this at all on the iPhone Dev portal. That's all I can say

Comment

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
I'm giving a presentation at 9am on July 11th about technology and therapy. It would be really great if I could deliver my powerpoint from my iphone instead of the computer like others have done... it would kind of really be better...

Would the powerpoint on the iPhone include being able to play any videos within the powerpoint presentation?

::edit:: And I have used my iphone in my music therapy sessions. the guitar, drums, and piano apps are really great!

Comment

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005

I doubt this is true. Apps will come in at random times to the App store.

Apple might have said to developers to finalize their apps in order to guarantee that they would appear in the App Store for the opening.

Comment

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
iPod Touch page which listed June 27th as the release date for the iTunes App Store.

I'm going to be quite picky here but Apple doesn't and to my knowledge has never referred to the App Store as the iTunes App Store, I have no idea why MR insists on using it.

Also another one that gets me, Apple markets the iPod touch with a lowercase t for touch, same for classic and nano.

Don't hate :cool:

Comment

Moonlight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
I hope they deliver the app store and iPhone 2.0 SOON !!! I can't wait !! Arrrrrgggghhhhh !!!!! :p :( :p I am not getting the new 3G iPhone (because I love my OG iPhone so much) so this is all I have to live for !

Wheeeeewwww...ok, I have calmed down...

Comment

Delirium39

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008

That is flat out impossible. By Jobs' own admission, 84% of the developers can't even test on a real phone yet. The SDK isn't done, as beta 7 just came out this week. And developers at WWDC are being told, shoot for early July. Apple isn't ready yet, thus developers aren't ready yet. Apps will trickle in starting in July. There is no cutoff date for having apps ready.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.