iTunes audiobook subfolder organization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rediffusion, Oct 13, 2014.

1. rediffusion, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

rediffusion macrumors regular

rediffusion

Hi,

I want iTunes to keep my audiobooks and music in different folders within my iTunes Media folder BUT i want the audiobooks to be within 'artist' folder AND then an 'album' subfolder (within the artist folder).

This is how music files are organized:

[​IMG]

So the folder hierarchy is Artist > Album > file.

But audiobooks do this:

[​IMG]

I want there to be a subfolder for each of the books, so 'The Fry Chronicles' is in it's own subfolder and 'Moab Is My Washpot' has it's own subfolder within the Stephen Fry.

Is this possible? I can't find a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

R ;)

2. kingebaneezer macrumors newbie

I have the same problem and haven't found a workaround. I changed all my audiobooks in the "get info" and now on my iPod classic when I go to audiobooks it's just all free. Not organized by author or anything, just chapters. I would love to know the solution. I'm thinking of changing them back to music so I can find them under "artist" but then the chapters end up playing during shuffle.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

One of many cases where iTunes is rubbish. Short answer: You can't change iTunes' folder organisation.

Long answer: You can trick it by changing the author's name. For example, first book: Author = "Stephen Fry". Second book: Author = "Stephen Fry_". Third book: Author = "Stephen Fry__". Instead of the underscore character, type an option-space character, which is invisible but not a space character. Just be aware that now you have three different authors.

PS. If you have audio books imported from CDs or MP3s with tons of chapters, there is a free Mac app "AudioBook Binder" on the app store which combines them into bigger files while keeping the chapter information intact.