Itunes Charging For Hacked Apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Falcon703549, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falcon703549 macrumors newbie

Falcon703549

Twice now I have experienced charges being taken from my Bank Account for applications that have been downloaded from Installous. The first time, I complained to Apple and they refunded the money. It happened again on Saturday, I received an email for downloading TeamViewer Pro HD, v6.0.9279, Developer: TeamViewer GmbH for £94.99

I would never buy such an application, I downloaded it from Installaous for sure to see what it was like but I would not puchase this.

Attached is an email confirming the purchase.

Has anyone else come across this?

It's not a mistake purchase, I was never on Itunes over the weekend to purchase anything.

This could be a serious problem for the Jailbreak community.

Falcon703549

Attached Files:

2. ri0ku, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I don't believe you.

By a small chance that you are telling the truth (which I doubt because I cannot see Apple refunding you for downloading illegally and stealing but whatever)

Then stop stealing apps.

Edit: Removed the word thief, might get 20 day ban or something.. -_-

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

4. Falcon703549 thread starter macrumors newbie

Falcon703549

Verification of the complaint

I suppose this sort of reply is to be expected.

Attached is a screen shot of the email confirming the refund made in July.

Attached Files:

5. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Still doesn't matter, what you are doing is illegal and basically stealing.

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Thanks for letting me know. Apple is doing a great job on this. Hoping the iOS 5 will kill more and more JB users out there. :cool:

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Hate To Say It

But I'm sure you have not been charged.....Let's face it Apple want NOTHING to do with JB kit.

The thought that iTunes have charged you (Unless it's an official app) is impossible

8. Falcon703549, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

Falcon703549 thread starter macrumors newbie

Falcon703549

Credit card charged

I guess that's why there is a credit card pending charge.

I understand the attitude to jailbreaking, I understand the attitude to getting apps for free.

I don't understand the attitude that says, it's not possible. Everything is possible, Im just trying to spread the word and warn people that somethere in the Itunes sync things might be going wrong accidently or on purpose. It would certainly put people of the jailbreaking....

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Would it be possible that a mean little trojan trigger the purchase of expensive apps just to drive JB user crazy and to demonstrate the risk of JB ? Just wonder.

10. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

They only way you would have been charged for hacked app you downloaded is if an update for one the hacked apps appeared in the app store (Happens because of the metadata) and you pressed update and it told you that you need to purchases before you can update and you have accidentally hit purchase. (Or you have done it on purpose and you are getting Apple to refund something that was your own fault)

11. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Nice to see a fellow geordie around here!, noticed you are at Teesside Uni. I have just finished my final year there doing 3D Video Games Design.

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Correct Answer

Why ay Man :)

13. WickedStealthy macrumors member

I thought that jailbreaking was not for 'running' cracked apps ??? But more for opening functionality which apple closed down ;)

But in essence Apple was even polite to force you into buying the app :D
    You are whining about apple taking your money from your account without your consent. But basically you did the same with the app as the full version is only to be paid...

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

15. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Jail breaking is ethically fine, downloading pirated apps is not ethical in any way, even Cydia tells you that when you add sources to install such apps. Like another poster said you must have updated the app from the official store but regardless I have zero sympathy for you and am annoyed that Apple refunded your money when you deserve to be fined much more than that.

16. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Think A Little

Moderation may be called for here. Whilst I agree with you, you and I choose not to JB our devices, and we are happy that way.

Others are not, they don't like the iTunes lockdown and I can sympathise. To call it theft is a little strong really, remember those that choose to JB are on their own when it comes to support.

Walk on the wild side...Not for me, but many do and are happy.

Two sides to each coin:)

17. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Jailbreaking has nothing to do with stealing apps. Jailbreaking allows a person to download the app called Installous which is a database of hacked paid apps.

I love my iPad and iPhone because they are jailbroken and have allowed me to customize them and do things normal iPads and iPhones can't. Don't assume just because an idevice is jailbroken that it has been done so for nefarious reasons. I don't even have Installous installed on my jailbroken idevices, so it would be difficult to steal apps.

18. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Eh what are you on about? calling it theft is a bit strong? it IS theft hes illegally downloading apps that cost money in the app store for free.... and its against the macrumors rules to discuss "installous"

Edit: You dont walk into an apple store pick up a mac and walk right out (not paying) just to "test" it...do you? so why would you do it with software? unless a demo/free version is available..

19. Zcott macrumors 68020

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against jailbreaking. I even jailbroke my iPhone to access tethering until my carrier supported it natively. What I do have a problem with is people stealing apps. Apps aren't expensive, and make a livelihood for a lot of independent developers. Apple will grant you a refund if you buy an app and it doesn't do what you need it to do or if it doesn't work properly with your setup, so just man up and buy it.

20. wpotere Guest

Let's set this straight.... Not all JailBreaker's steal apps. I have jailbroken my phone only to get some additional functionality out of it and I PAY for my apps. I don't use installous as it is a stock pile of applications that have been hacked and if you do use it then you are stealing. So, if you are being charged for them then I say great, keep it up Apple!

You don't want to get charged then don't download it.

Please disconnect the jailbreak from theft as they are not the same. You can JB and still be legit. :cool:

21. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

No one is saying jailbreaking is theft... we are saying that illegally downloading apps through installous is theft...

I have a jailbroken device too.... but I only use it for setting themes...

22. wpotere Guest

There are a few that seem to lump them all together, hence the post. ;)

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Fair Point

But would you buy (or steal) an app that cost a couple of £$? No, it's the iTunes situation that has caused this..and just look at the tales of woe here "I JB'd and nothing works" TOUGH, you did it live with it.

IOS5 will stop a lot of this I think but there will alway's be those who do....Because they can.

When I bought my ipad2 I could have but chose instead to pass it on to a mates daughter..It's a mind set.

I have never stolen anything in my life, and won't now....The reason for my conversion to Apple was the constant expense. I didn't hack, I didn't cheat. I left.:)

24. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

For me the difference of theatering via JB and getting apps from unofficial sources is nil; are both unauthorized usage. Sorry. I know the discussion about unlimitted data plans etc. they were supposed for single devices ad not a cluster.

25. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Where? all I see in this thread are people saying that what he is doing is illegal and it serves him right...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.