iTunes convert songs to AAC(HELP Required)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rohit6060, Oct 2, 2010.

1. rohit6060 macrumors member

Hello folks,
    I've a ipod shuffle 2gb and just wondering if converting songs to AAC could help me pour in more songs in this tiny things..
    Most of my songs are either 192 or 256 kbps MP3 format with some even at 320kbps..While syncing we get an option to convert selection to 128kbps AAC.I never tried that option because I was scared as this might effect my original file.Does it convert the actual file and then syncs it to ur ipod or does it retains the original file and sends converted file directly to ipod without effecting my original file...
    My JUST DON'T want to convert my original files.Is there a way to get them converted to 128 AAC without effecting the original files?
    Secondly,I use sennheiser CX 300 II will I discover any major difference in quality?
    Thirdly how much space will I be able to save(approximately)?
    Plz answer,shall be really thankful...

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The original file is untouched, it converts a new file as it syncs. In iTunes 10, as soon as you put a check in the 'Convert higher bitrate files to 128kbps', the bar at the bottom of the screen will automatically adjust to tell you how much space will be free after the converting/syncing is complete.

3. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

That means,the converted song will be nowhere in my system,not even in my music folder,right?
    In that case if i convert and put a song in my ipod and then remove it and then again if i wish to put it,I'll have to convert it again,since no copy of it is stored in my pc,right?
    Thirdly,
    I use a decent pair of earphones,will I experience any major diff. in sound?

4. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

you could use MAX if you want to convert all your files in your folders.
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19873/max

but try NOT to launch itunes while its doing its thing. MAX will change the files and keep the same names. you can even set it to delete the old files as it replaces them. if you launch itunes it will most likely forget where the songs are though and have exclamation marks in your whole library, so try to wait till its done. sometimes you may even need to reload your music folder into itunes from scratch. BUT all this work payed off. i changed ALL my songs from mp3 to m4a (the AAC format in itunes) and am saving a lot of space on my mac now. also fits more in ipod. as far as headphones go, i dont hear any difference on mine. in the car i had to turn the volume up 2 more decibels though. no biggie.

5. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

Well u totally misunderstood me.I DO NOT wish to change my original files.I just want to make sure that I get compressed songs in ipod WITHOUT having a copy of them in my itunes...

6. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

oooooh. well the check in the 'Convert higher bitrate files to 128kbps' should do the trick then. i dont think it changes your actual files judging from this article. http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/06/iphone-101-save-space-on-your-iphone-without-removing-a-thing/

7. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

Does this work only on ipod touch or iphone?I use to get this option on my 1st gen ipod touch (which I sold last month) but never tried thinking it would change the original file.Now I'm planning to buy the latest shuffle because of its amazing form factor..Won't I get this option on shuffle?

8. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

just checked with my nieces shuffle. works.
    you could instead get the nano watch. http://gizmodo.com/5634260/the-ipod-nano-watch-is-here-and-it-is-glorious
    =)

9. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

Just a small query,
    If I convert a song for ipod and later delete it from my ipod.The next time I put it,I'll need to convert it again,right?I'm asking this just to confirm the converted song is ONLY in my ipod and no where in my itunes or even in my hard disk.I don't want to kill my hard disk space,duplicating songs...

Secondly,will i experience any major sound difference given I use a decent pair of earphones(sennheiser CX 300 II in my case..)

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. Yes, the songs will be converted every time they get copied to your iPod, and they are not ever stored on your Mac.

2. Some people will hear a difference with decent headphones, others won't. Myself, I tried it and I couldn't tell you _what_ the difference is, but there is a difference. Or I think so. Of course it depends on the quality of the original.

11. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot guys....
    U've been really helpful...