iTunes - Deleting files from the hard drive through iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by livs1224, Jun 14, 2009.

1. livs1224 macrumors newbie

I just bought my first mac, YAY! Anyway, I have transferred my extraordinarily messy collection of music into itunes and want to delete quite a bit of it.

I have set itunes to manage my music and all of my music is in the itunes music folder. When I delete and even press remove file and trash the file it is still in the finder, I really would like to avoid having to delete the files twice. Is there a way to get the version on the hard drive to delete as well.

Thanks!!

2. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

Are you removing/deleting the files from a playlist or from the library? If you delete a song from a playlist, you are only removing from the playlist. When you delete from the library, you should get a prompt asking whether you want to keep the file or move to trash.

3. livs1224 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am deleting from the main library, I have tried everything recommended in the forums. I press command delete so that it asks if I want to remove the file and move it to the trash. I do. And when I empty the trash, go back to the finder and search for the file, it is still in my iTunes music folder.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Since you said everything was very messy, could you have the same music multiple times? If you had three copies and delete one, you will still have two left.